Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 139

Thread: Rule Clarification

  1. #61
    Dear Friend Korp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
    I actually took issue with mods commenting on gameplay so I will be refraining from that. I also will not be moderating anything that involves the kingdom I play in or myself so impartiality should not be an issue.
    So much for that promise I guess.

  2. #62
    Post Fiend
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
    Does your arm hurt when Voldebart needs something?

    Nice haha

  3. #63
    Forum Fanatic octobrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    us
    Posts
    2,421
    Maybe, as part of their newfound commitments to the community, the mods should confine themselves to playing in 1:1 with the developers. Why take their word that they won't exploit opportunities to use their positions for personal gain when they could drastically reduce perceived pressures put on them in the course of play (they could still be pressured by friends and ex-kd mates but it's a start). It would be kind of silly to put them into this sort of position while playing and not expect them to find ways to use it advantageously.


  4. #64
    Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Palem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,833
    Maybe I'm just not a very good cheater, but I see literally no way of gaining an advantage in the game by having the ability to ban people on the Utopia Talk forum, especially when the other mods have the ability to undo shady decisions.

  5. #65
    Dear Friend Korp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Maybe I'm just not a very good cheater, but I see literally no way of gaining an advantage in the game by having the ability to ban people on the Utopia Talk forum, especially when the other mods have the ability to undo shady decisions.
    You already forgot the "case" Proteus brought fowards to you? ;)

  6. #66
    Utopia Talk Moderator Allanon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    904
    Personally I don't see too much in-game opportunity to be had from moderating a forum. We have already agreed to recuse ourselves from moderating any threads relating to our kds as part of our appointment to the role.

    So you are missing two points from your triad:
    - There is no perceived opportunity relating to advancing our kd or personal goals in-game, as moderation activities in these forums neither directly nor indirectly affect in-game events in a positive way,
    - There is no perceived pressure to exercise our power in an unethical manner resulting from our playing the game beyond threads relating to our respective kingdoms which we have already agreed to recuse ourselves from.
    "The phrase... 'Who's your daddy?'... comes to mind"

    Please make any complaints or requests regarding moderation to myself directly or a member of the Game Administration staff. Complaints in threads will be purged as per forum policy

  7. #67
    Forum Fanatic octobrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    us
    Posts
    2,421
    Believe me, there are ways. With utimes/alliancerankings gone and irc dying, the forum is the exclusive means of broadcasting information. Even small measures of control over it are useful. Look to Fox News and CNN for inspiration!

  8. #68
    Dear Friend Korp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
    The problem is you can't even have an intellectual discussion with a mod on here without being banned, one side has ban authority and the other does not.

    Just leaving this here.

  9. #69
    Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Palem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,833
    There's 2 things wrong with that

    1. It's not true
    2. There are other mods that can urban you if you are wrongfully banned

  10. #70
    Post Demon
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    VA, US
    Posts
    1,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    2. There are other mods that can urban you if you are wrongfully banned
    I have yet to see a ban turn unbanned tho...by the time the "discussion" is had and decision made for unbanning, the ban is usually lifted due to time constraints.

  11. #71
    Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Palem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,833
    Quote Originally Posted by umajon911 View Post
    I have yet to see a ban turn unbanned tho...by the time the "discussion" is had and decision made for unbanning, the ban is usually lifted due to time constraints.
    For most of my time as a mod we've had 2 moderators.
    If I banned you it's because you really messed up and Bishop probably would have banned you long before that.

    I'm pretty sure I've only been asked a handful of times to look into Bishop's bans. I only recall 2 that actually warranted discussion (silltalk and a long Ezzerland ban).

    Do you really think I'd go out of my way to cover for Proteus? Lol

  12. #72
    Postaholic
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    927
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheister View Post
    because there is only one mod, and none of you people live in Germany.
    Is that the same MOD to whom you whine day in and day out on watsapp?
    #Rage

    Best FAKE Kingdom in Utopia
    AWAR Specialists
    Fair Play Alliance Cornerstone

    ***** Most number of Awar Crowns - 5 *****

  13. #73
    I like to post
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    4,899
    I use the blue forum theme, am I a moderator too?

  14. #74
    Forum Moderator Sassy_Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    Maybe, as part of their newfound commitments to the community, the mods should confine themselves to playing in 1:1 with the developers. Why take their word that they won't exploit opportunities to use their positions for personal gain when they could drastically reduce perceived pressures put on them in the course of play (they could still be pressured by friends and ex-kd mates but it's a start). It would be kind of silly to put them into this sort of position while playing and not expect them to find ways to use it advantageously.

    So if we all move to 1:1, we'll all be able to moderate all threads and posts in our moderating area without any accusations of prejudice? Unfortunately, I don't think that'll be accepted so why limit our game when there are no benefits for anyone?
    A guide to SW's posts

    Regular text = SW as a player
    Bold = SW as a mod (used for mod requests, warnings, etc.)
    Green = Someone messed up the regular and bold text and had to get edited/warned/banned.

  15. #75
    Dear Friend Korp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Wolfie View Post
    So if we all move to 1:1, we'll all be able to moderate all threads and posts in our moderating area without any accusations of prejudice? Unfortunately, I don't think that'll be accepted so why limit our game when there are no benefits for anyone?
    Benefits for the people, the users, the community would be that there would be no reason to believe for ulterior motives or well less inclined to believe there is a different agenda.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •