Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: The new forum guidelines

  1. #1
    Dear Friend Korp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,391

    The new forum guidelines

    I really love DavidC new vision of a healthier and better forums. The new guidelines are really doing wonders for the discussion climates. What better way to promote discussion in the forums than locking threads and removing posts.

  2. #2
    Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Palem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,850
    Quote Originally Posted by outburst View Post
    Comment removed - Spam
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansoor View Post
    Comment removed - Disparaging remarks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewpac View Post
    I really look forward to Mansoor's responses but never get to them before they're edited away.
    Quote Originally Posted by StratOcastle View Post
    Must be the Anti-SWEA Al Gore Rythm.

    Emeriti displaying quite the Baron Orcwall. I like the way they have those t/ms steering like an artillery turret. I'd imagine if I checked they'd be trained on the bulk of likely targets.
    Quote Originally Posted by sl0hnd View Post
    ...Gratz
    Quote Originally Posted by Realest View Post
    retweet. i put massive respek on <removed> name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansoor View Post
    Man these mods really killed the UT Talk forum. Good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
    Stop breaking the rules and you won't get banned :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananamancer2000 View Post
    <Edited - Reason: Communicating on behalf of a banned forum member>
    Quote Originally Posted by SnirpsneR View Post
    Don't have dumb rules :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansoor View Post
    < Removed - Because Mansoor is correct and I just want to edit him cause I newly just got this power so I want to abuse it >
    Quote Originally Posted by Folle View Post
    +1 for this
    Quote Originally Posted by Peetah View Post
    +1 for you as well!
    Man it's just too bad this great discussion about Emeriti had to be cut off. I feel like the conversation was really taking off. Could have been one of the all time greats

  3. #3
    Dear Friend Korp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Man it's just too bad this great discussion about Emeriti had to be cut off. I feel like the conversation was really taking off. Could have been one of the all time greats
    Oh my god its so terrible, someone wrote "clear fake war" want to cry against my shoulder Palem? Cause I can understand how those terrible phrases like "clear fake war" "who are these ghettos" is making you tremble of fear from the bare thought of it! I am glad that you believe this overmoderation is such a success, We can see how the forums are blooming with discussions and what a lovely attitude you all have going on. The most important things is to send out warnings cause everyone is such a sensitive snowflake in the forums and will cry themselves to sleep cause somebody called their kingdom bunch of douchebags!

    On a more serious note, the thread hadnt been about emeriti for awhile so why didnt you close the thread earlier then? A lot of posts were off topic but you havent removed them you even havent try to steer the topic back on track. You just closed it when you get fed up with it.

  4. #4
    Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Palem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,850
    I closed it because someone reported the thread as being completely derailed. I agreed and since the thread seemed to have been resolved the best course of action seemed to be to just close it.

    But on the topic of crybaby snowflakes, see the above 3 posts.

    Have a swirvey day :D

  5. #5
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    419
    I like the new approach and appreciate the work the mods have been doing.

    I have also enjoyed the recent discussions that you, I and others have been having in the threads Korp. It's a lot easier when the threads aren't full of spam and insults.

  6. #6
    Forum Fanatic Pillz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sinners NA
    Posts
    2,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris121 View Post
    I like the new approach and appreciate the work the mods have been doing.

    I have also enjoyed the recent discussions that you, I and others have been having in the threads Korp. It's a lot easier when the threads aren't full of spam and insults.
    You can't even tell when we insult you

  7. #7
    Postaholic RattleHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    928
    Thats just what you like to think, and what people let you believe because it isn't worth rising to your petty taunts.

    ...Could also be part of why the threads you fill get closed frequently.

  8. #8
    Post Fiend
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris121 View Post
    I like the new approach and appreciate the work the mods have been doing.

    I have also enjoyed the recent discussions that you, I and others have been having in the threads Korp. It's a lot easier when the threads aren't full of spam and insults.
    Yes its super! Since they started with the new approach almost 50% of the post is from Mods and the rest is either banned or doesnt post anymore! Very nice.

  9. #9
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by scheffie View Post
    Yes its super! Since they started with the new approach almost 50% of the post is from Mods and the rest is either banned or doesnt post anymore! Very nice.
    Why is is a bad thing that there are now fewer posts than before? Of course if you stop people posting spam / offensive posts, the post count is likely to go down, because all the spam isn't there. But the sensible / helpful / interesting posts are still here and are now easier to read without having to go through the spam. It is true we have currently also lost some input from people who sometimes posted good posts but sometimes posted spam / offensive posts and currently find themselves banned, but there's an easy fix to that! If they choose not to take it, I'm sure the rest of us will get over it.

  10. #10
    Post Fiend
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris121 View Post
    Why is is a bad thing that there are now fewer posts than before? Of course if you stop people posting spam / offensive posts, the post count is likely to go down, because all the spam isn't there. But the sensible / helpful / interesting posts are still here and are now easier to read without having to go through the spam. It is true we have currently also lost some input from people who sometimes posted good posts but sometimes posted spam / offensive posts and currently find themselves banned, but there's an easy fix to that! If they choose not to take it, I'm sure the rest of us will get over it.
    That's kinda the same as .. why is it a bad thing if we ban all bad utopia players, they aren't really adding any value to the game! You can better have some activity here to attract the silence poster, like me - involved and come to the website, than nothing. And have these silently returning players leave.

    Negative publicity is also publicity and attracts attention to your website. Now i absolutely do agree you have to moderate those personal attacks etc., but at this moment they are just "over actively" using their abilities which attracts more trolls= more bans and now no activity in the forums. Just shut it down if that's the new line and post updates if you have some.

  11. #11
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by scheffie View Post
    That's kinda the same as .. why is it a bad thing if we ban all bad utopia players, they aren't really adding any value to the game!
    "Bad" players are still doing what is intended with the game (albeit "badly"). The forums are not intended as a place to insult people or spam.

    Quote Originally Posted by scheffie View Post
    You can better have some activity here to attract the silence poster, like me - involved and come to the website, than nothing. And have these silently returning players leave.
    Activity, of course. But do you come to read spam? If so, they could make a spam sub forum so people who want to come and post or read spam can do that. It seems a bit pointless to me, but I am not against it if it's in a separate sub forum so I dont need to read it in the utopia threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by scheffie View Post
    Negative publicity is also publicity and attracts attention to your website.
    I doubt the number of spam forum posts is making any difference to new people finding the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by scheffie View Post
    Now i absolutely do agree you have to moderate those personal attacks etc., but at this moment they are just "over actively" using their abilities which attracts more trolls= more bans and now no activity in the forums.
    Sounds like we are not far apart. The rules are not difficult to comply with. It's not true to say there is no activity in the forums. There is less, but not none.

  12. #12
    Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Palem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,850
    I'd like to shine a spotlight on one particular user if I may.

    Before Mansoor was actually a reliable forum contributor. Maybe a bit trollish at times, but really not much that warranted much attention, even under the stricter posting rules.

    However, after it was made clear that the forums were going to have a stricter enforcement policy, Mansoor has spent most of his time "damning the man" rather than continuing to constructively post. That's not to say that he hasn't posted anything of value after the new enforcement went into effect or that he's not welcome or anything like that.

    My point is that trying to pin the current state of the forums on new mods/enforcement policy is just being obtuse. Mansoor is far from being alone in having a massive **** fit over the rules that have always been there actually being enforced. Rules that honestly weren't even being broke most of the time. The responsibility of people purposely and knowingly breaking the rules, I guess as a show of defiance, falls on them.

  13. #13
    Dear Friend Korp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris121 View Post
    Why is is a bad thing that there are now fewer posts than before? Of course if you stop people posting spam / offensive posts, the post count is likely to go down, because all the spam isn't there. But the sensible / helpful / interesting posts are still here and are now easier to read without having to go through the spam. It is true we have currently also lost some input from people who sometimes posted good posts but sometimes posted spam / offensive posts and currently find themselves banned, but there's an easy fix to that! If they choose not to take it, I'm sure the rest of us will get over it.
    There wasnt that many offensive post to begin with those were handled fairly well. Nobody has spammed either in these forums for a long time. You just dont seem familiar with what actual spam are. Overmoderation isnt a good thing its really bad.


    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    I'd like to shine a spotlight on one particular user if I may.

    Before Mansoor was actually a reliable forum contributor. Maybe a bit trollish at times, but really not much that warranted much attention, even under the stricter posting rules.

    However, after it was made clear that the forums were going to have a stricter enforcement policy, Mansoor has spent most of his time "damning the man" rather than continuing to constructively post. That's not to say that he hasn't posted anything of value after the new enforcement went into effect or that he's not welcome or anything like that.

    My point is that trying to pin the current state of the forums on new mods/enforcement policy is just being obtuse. Mansoor is far from being alone in having a massive **** fit over the rules that have always been there actually being enforced. Rules that honestly weren't even being broke most of the time. The responsibility of people purposely and knowingly breaking the rules, I guess as a show of defiance, falls on them.
    Its not obtuse when there is a direct connection between the "stricter moderation" and the behaviour. There is no value in removing trivial posts, it doesnt enhance the topic nor does it promotes a better discussion climate. It just agitates and makes people more upset.
    Last edited by Korp; 15-12-2017 at 12:20.

  14. #14
    Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Palem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    Its not obtuse when there is a direct connection between the "stricter moderation" and the behaviour.
    Yes. Blaming the mods because a few people have willingly chosen to post a ton of garbage is obtuse. That's like blaming the cops because there are people looting. They might be looting because there is a lack of police at the time, but the people looting are responsible for the looting, not the cops.

    Another easy example. If Bart decides he's going to make a bunch of forum alts and spam pornography across the forum in retaliation for being permabanned, the responsibility of that decision falls on him. He's choosing to act childish and trying to pawn off the responsibility of his decisions would be even more childish.

    There is no value in removing trivial posts, it doesnt enhance the topic nor does it promotes a better discussion climate. It just agitates and makes people more upset.
    While I disagree with you, I think it's important to point out that the negativity from the community is not just surrounding the removal of trivial posts.

  15. #15
    Dear Friend Korp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Yes. Blaming the mods because a few people have willingly chosen to post a ton of garbage is obtuse. That's like blaming the cops because there are people looting. They might be looting because there is a lack of police at the time, but the people looting are responsible for the looting, not the cops.

    Another easy example. If Bart decides he's going to make a bunch of forum alts and spam pornography across the forum in retaliation for being permabanned, the responsibility of that decision falls on him. He's choosing to act childish and trying to pawn off the responsibility of his decisions would be even more childish.



    While I disagree with you, I think it's important to point out that the negativity from the community is not just surrounding the removal of trivial posts.
    The irony is high consider your probably one of the people that posted most garbage in these forums. Consider your GIF sprees. But I guess a moderator have the power to be a hypocrite. Okey, but please do explain what rule did Mansoor break when he posted that he was a radical muslim? But what you are saying is that you are bad moderator that couldnt commit to your job so insstead of doing your job you let people break the rules. Cause you just couldnt be arsed to enforce the rules and do your job until you had some backup. Its the cops fault cause they people do the looting without lifting a finger. If the police do nt have the commitment to do their job they should step down and let someone that is willing to do the job take on the task.

    Its the removing of trivial posts that makes the posters upset. Case example Mansoor didnt behave like this until you guys started to remove most of his posts. You dont take any responsiblity at all for your slack moderation and blame it on the community. Its pretty sad.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •