Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is being done to increase player base

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by freaka View Post
    <Removed>
    Please see my signature if you'd like to discuss a deletion.
    Please e-mail Utopia Support for any in-game related issues at UtopiaSupport@Utopia-Game.com

Account Deleted or Inactive? Click here!

Utopia Facebook Page <== Like us on Facebook and join the conversation!
    Follow us on Twitter @UtopiaClassic

Come join the MUGA Community on Discord: https://discord.gg/NZ4KywF

Forum Fanatic
    Mobil friendly would do wonders . The game doesn’t need graphics .

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Post Fiend
    Need more nudes.

Admins and mods nude calendar. ooo great merch idea! will sell like hotcakes. bishop full frontal!

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Verminator View Post
    In fairness to that guy, I have 2 emails to support that are 3 days and 1 week old respectively. They're cherry-picking emails, which is their prerogative as the bosses, but this guy is not entirely wrong.

It's hard to see things from so deep on the inside Korp, we understand ;)
    Sending multiple emails resets your spot in the queue. That's always been the policy. Obviously urgent stuff will get priority, but there's no reason to suggest that the devs are cherry picking emails

Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    So you actually do walk around to random strangers and act like you do here? lol. Must be the center at every party with the holier than you attitude you have going on.
    No one likes the guy at the party that constantly criticizes everyone's behavior either. Let's stop criticizing people's lives. This is a game forum, not a therapists office.

Forum Fanatic
    Lets leave unprovoked comments about people's real lives out of this. This is Utopia Talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
    Lets leave unprovoked comments about people's real lives out of this. This is Utopia Talk.
    What’s up Don Proteus, I’ve missed you

We all know what will increase the player base, it starts with O and ends in Cto

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Everyone please stay on topic

In regards to Support, we work to get through Support mails in a timely manner.
    Hey sexy legs - im ok for a cheeky ban for off topic hellos
    Last edited by DavidC; 19-12-2017 at 07:07.
    Redwood Originals ~Lowriders for life

Administrator
    Everyone please stay on topic

In regards to Support, we work to get through Support mails in a timely manner.
    Please e-mail Utopia Support for any in-game related issues at UtopiaSupport@Utopia-Game.com

Account Deleted or Inactive? Click here!

Utopia Facebook Page <== Like us on Facebook and join the conversation!
    Follow us on Twitter @UtopiaClassic

Come join the MUGA Community on Discord: https://discord.gg/NZ4KywF

Mechanics are too opaque in this game and overly reward veterans who have learned and memorized the mechanics. Veterans will mostly either be impatient, busy, or not care enough to teach these mechanics to newcomers. When you have a game that relies on veterans to teach new players how to play the game properly you do not have a game that is attractive to newcomers.

The more you make the mechanics transparent and easy to view at a glance and understand from an interface perspective the more friendly the game is for newcomers. A new player should be able to eventually understand and master the mechanics of the game through self-examination via the in-game interface, rather than having to 1) ask vets; 2) dig through forums, or 3) hope wiki is current re: the particular mechanic in question.

Just a list of suggestions off the top of my head:
    1. Update growth page so that you can see at a glance what effects building % acres will have
    2. Spells when moused over should have a pop up that explains what it does. There should be a difficulty estimate when you select a spell.
    3. Hostile meter should be viewable by all, no exceptions, with pop-up's / explanation of relation mechanics within the page.
    4. If an attack will change relations there should be a pop up confirmation warning you of that action.
    5. EOWCF and war stance needs a popup explanation or tutorial.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by JokesOnMe View Post
    Mechanics are too opaque in this game and overly reward veterans who have learned and memorized the mechanics. Veterans will mostly either be impatient, busy, or not care enough to teach these mechanics to newcomers. When you have a game that relies on veterans to teach new players how to play the game properly you do not have a game that is attractive to newcomers.

The more you make the mechanics transparent and easy to view at a glance and understand from an interface perspective the more friendly the game is for newcomers. A new player should be able to eventually understand and master the mechanics of the game through self-examination via the in-game interface, rather than having to 1) ask vets; 2) dig through forums, or 3) hope wiki is current re: the particular mechanic in question.

Just a list of suggestions off the top of my head:
    1. Update growth page so that you can see at a glance what effects building % acres will have
    2. Spells when moused over should have a pop up that explains what it does. There should be a difficulty estimate when you select a spell.
    3. Hostile meter should be viewable by all, no exceptions, with pop-up's / explanation of relation mechanics within the page.
    4. If an attack will change relations there should be a pop up confirmation warning you of that action.
    5. EOWCF and war stance needs a popup explanation or tutorial.
    This 10000x holy crap. The hoops you have to jump through just to get a correct answer about this or that in the mechanics. This isnt even getting into the undocumented changes admin keeps throwing out like undead conversions being reduced hitting into prosp last age. Or learning ritual strength effect has been decreasing the whole time with the introduction of expedient, this despite Jeff, one of the game admins explicitly saying before that wasnt the case. There still isnt a proper admin response about that in the bug forums... how many weeks has that thread been up for?

Expanding the player base will not happen at the very least until you fix the most basic thing you guys are doing a poor job with... the dissemination of information in this game is ridiculously poor. Why would someone invest so much time into learning a game when the devs put up so many hurdles on top of the already intense learning curve? Currently there is a guide, a wiki, and a game forum with a broken search function. They also don't agree with each other. The wiki isnt updated and the guide is well... lacking on information. Trying to find information on the forum is like searching for one specific needle in a needle factory with your eyes closed...search function broken as it is. Have to resort to using google to search for answers on the uto forms, and even then the answers are dubious at best as they themselves are based upon user info which attempts to glean behind the opaque veil that the devs put up with their lack of interest in creating transparency in this game. Formulas dont need to be revealed per se, interactions absolutely do! No game interaction should be a mystery, it should all be readily available in the game information either the wiki or guide. The strategy forum to me represents the failure to communicate. I lose count on the number of questions asked on there that should have been in age changes or the wiki or the guide but aren't, and they get asked over and over again because the forum search function is broken! LOL
    Last edited by Selephant; 19-12-2017 at 15:47. Reason: was too harsh

Veteran
    Whilst I would put it more politely, I agree with the points above about lack of info about how the game works. I'm hoping there is a plan, or at least an intention, to at some point develop a "guide" that the Devs can be confident is correct and then from there ensure it is maintained. That could be using the wiki we already have (but actually fixing it rather than relying on users to do it) or something new.

Currently, every time I refer someone to the wiki or they talk to me about something they've found in the wiki, I feel the need to caveat what I say with 'but the wiki isn't necessarily correct'. The users who update the wiki do a great job at trying to keep it updated to reflect changes, but some changes don't make it into the wiki at all (partly because the mechanics of some changes are not actually announced, either at all or in detail), and other parts of the wiki have been out of date for so long that no-one seems to know why the wiki even says what it says. Ultimately the Devs should know the mechanics and therefore should ultimately be responsible for ensuring the wiki is correct and updated (either directly or by helping others to do it).

If there are parts of mechanics you want to keep secret, that's fine, but IMHO that should be openly stated for those parts and users can then try to figure it out if desired.

The new "guide" is great and is a good step. Obviously that doesn't have the detail, and I think that's fine so as not to scare off new people entirely. But currently KDs without very experienced and knowledgeable players have no real hope of understanding the game fully because the information is not in the wiki and/or is just wrong.

I think for me, mostly the loser/winner mechanism.

There is not enough win-win in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by CharToe View Post
    I think for me, mostly the loser/winner mechanism.

There is not enough win-win in the game.
    It's a competitive online game. By nature, it can't be designed so everyone wins. But if you don't suck, you can often lose less badly or even 'win' with a loss, ie: strategic withdrawals, or smashing someone into war after they paid you too much attention.

But who am I kidding, of course the masses who can't play want to win when they lose. Just like they want to ignore changes and refuse to learn how to play.

Needs to get out more
    Win-win is in the game if players are perceptive to symbiosis vs pride.

For instance, when a whoring kingdom strikes down to take acres and you retaliate with abduction. Both sides should be sporting a Mona Lisa grin. Explore, rinse, repeat. Same goes for elite converters.

Emeriti withdrawing from Frost Giants war was an example in a competive environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansoor View Post
    What is easiest way to get people back? Genesis Server

Why is it the easiest way? This will bring a lot of old timers back to the game who would like to play on their own terms, not focused and the pressure it takes to play in warring kd:s with waking up at night. A server based on whoring, warring or whatever. Unleash the explore pool. Let it be unbalanced. Make genesis age 4-6 weeks. There are so many people who were addicted to this game and we just need to push them in the right direction and once they will get taste of this cocaine they will be stuck. Maybe not all but some.

Start with this, this will also keep existing player base despite all the mistake you done lately with moderating the forums to hard by pushing people who actually write stuff here to just not do it anymore.

Summary: Bring back genesis, make it unbalanced and a cow feist, warring feist, unleash the game!
    Excellent idea.

What i think the game needs is a mix of old timers AND new blood, for the game to grow in the future new blood is what is needed most, but not new blood for the sake of being cannon fodder for the vets

Thread Information