Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What is being done to increase player base

Post Fiend
    Do not merge kds. My whole kd is a ghost kd now as nobody is playing. We're just hanging in WhatsApp, chatting about life etc.

It really depends on the goals and risk tolerance of the new ownership. To truly grow Utopia again and make it a game that is not sitting in a perennial maintenance mode death spiral there needs to be a significant overhaul of all systems. This includes GUI, mechanics, organization, communication, advertising... everything. It needs to become something new while maintaining its core principles/culture. It needs to be a new game.

The way I see it, the developers have access to one of the most dedicated alpha/beta test user bases in all of gaming. You have about 2,000 players that LOVE this game and have lived it for a really long time. If you're willing to risk it to go big, then you should be pushing the boundaries in every way and utilizing the player base by granting them early access to whatever the new version of Utopia is and being transparent with them from the beginning about all facets of the game so the community as a whole can be a part of building it. In return, the developers receive a dedicated community brainstorming, function testing, bug finding, and helping to build something new. I guarantee this would get current and former players motivated. As well, the world's longest running MMO becoming the world's first game built by the player base pretty much markets itself.

However, this does require that the status quo is maintained during the meantime. WOL would continue as is with adjustments made each age, etc.

Just a thought.

I’m a old player returning after a decade or so. I’ve always loved this game but what’s been keeping me from playing are all these external programs, at my time it was only utopia angel and it was fine but as I’ve grown older (I’ll sound like my dad now but I’ll force myself to write it anyway!) having to set up account on umunk almost feels like a struggle. I know it isn’t difficult but I want to play Utopia and not have to be bothered by other things.

So what I’m trying to say, I personally think Utopia is fine the way it is but, it has to be viable playing on your phone via an app. It has to have more numbers available without having to use a plugin such as wpa, opa etc.

I would love being able to play it on the go the same way I experience it at my computer. As said earlier, I’m a returning player and I’m out of the loop so my thoughts might be incorrect. I just wanted to share a returning players view on the game since all I’ve seen on this forum are veterans.

Post Fiend
    Oberon got it right. This is basically a 20-year beta test of an epic game, with the same beta testers playing the same game for 20 years. Players of this game would have WhatsApp groups and keep in contact, even though they don't actually play the game. I wouldn't mind if we skip a few ages and just... Test the hell out of this game. Go all out with crazy new mechanics, design change, etc.

There is nothing else like utopia out there. It is its own genre, really.

As other players have said here before this game has a loyal group of players that have been here for a long time, same for me. My first age playing was the last age that ships were still needed to attack provinces on other islands.

This game needs to become more mobile friendly indeed. Still many players have trouble posting in forum when playing from mobile for instance.
    I think that alone makes the game look bad to new players.
    I hope the features of the own espionage page of the kingdom can be extended.
    Make it show the personality, the off and def of each province. Perhaps add some more tabs on the kingdom screens. Resources, military , build, etc.
    This will help a lot of monarchs/stewards running ghettoish kingdoms were more than half of the kingdom doesn't want to use outside tools.
    This way it is easy to spot flaws in setups of provinces and coach them to improve and also makes warring a lot better to organize and levels the playing field a bit when warring against a kingdom that have all players using Munk, upoopu or other tools.
    Last edited by Psychodad; 17-01-2018 at 15:51.

Enthusiast
    I play exclusively from my phone and I don't find it too bad. A few minor annoyances like the message box growing and boxes not formatted for number entry only could be improved in. I tried the app and hated it, but I like using my mobile browser with the classic theme.

I think fortified should return with fading effects to prevent abuse. Farming/bottom feeding is turning off new and old players. I think if a KD is a certain percentage larger than another kd they should have an automatic -50% gains and longer attack time. Force KD’s to fight in their own “weight class”.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AesopRock View Post
    I think fortified should return with fading effects to prevent abuse. Farming/bottom feeding is turning off new and old players. I think if a KD is a certain percentage larger than another kd they should have an automatic -50% gains and longer attack time. Force KD’s to fight in their own “weight class”.
    Agreed. I assume the switch to rituals was done to increase page loads for ads, but from a gameplay standpoint it's not working.

If you leave eowcf and don't get another war right away and are forced to retrain you are screwed, just sit there and eat abduct waves from bigger KDs while everyone complains and gets frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
    Agreed. I assume the switch to rituals was done to increase page loads for ads, but from a gameplay standpoint it's not working.

If you leave eowcf and don't get another war right away and are forced to retrain you are screwed, just sit there and eat abduct waves from bigger KDs while everyone complains and gets frustrated.
    It was done to increase inter kd relations.

And encourage activity in general I guess.

Dynamic gameplay I call it

Thread Information