Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is being done to increase player base

Problem with this game is that you sooner or later Wanna move on to better kds and when doing so you realize you have to give up so much of Your other lifeactivities to stay active for Your Kd all day and night. So even IF tjis game could attract new players, many of them Will Quit after a Few ages Cuz the kd demand to much of you and you dont wanna step down to a lesser kd and get eaten by the top..its just not fun. I hope this game Will grow but i doubt it ever will, cuz a textbased game is not what ppl in general is looking for in 2017.

I can easily get some friends to play, mostly people I work with. The problem is that I know they'd prefer to play in the same Kingdom. I however am reluctant to do that because I've been roasted by IP restrictions in the past during war. I'm in a pretty competitive kingdom and that is something I can't afford in war. Because they'd be work buddies, we play on the same public IP, unless we are exclusively playing on our phones... which the game isn't really targeted for. I assume others are in the same boat.

Regular
    The game needs to introduce automatic penalties for kingdoms that have a sub (97%) average (war) opponent relative size and stack significant penalties on attacks into kingdoms below 95% of their own kingdom networth. If both of these are achieved then we may stem the flow of people leaving the game. Basically the mods need to stem the flow of farming and bottom feeding.

Post Demon
    hits oor are already penalized as is hitting smaller kingdoms.

Total Attacks Made 49
    Total Wins 39
    Wins Against Larger Opponents 17
    Average Relative Opponent Networth 98%
    Total Land Gained in Combat 3035
    Attacks Suffered 60
    Times Defeated 56
    Total Land Lost in Combat 2330

Even with getting abducted more than I abduct this is a significant diffrence in land lost vs land gained, and not all can be explained from -30% gans due to gs. If you do not run gs and get hit a lot from bigger kingdoms you are doing things wrong, you can't count on not getting harassed, so you should chose your strategy according to what works in those situations and not what works if everyone leave you alone. I expect to be outnumbered and/or outmatched and plan accordingly.

- In war numbers alone confer no advantage. Do not advance relying on sheer military power. Sun Tsu

News Correspondent Mad_Scottish's Avatar
    It has been mentioned a fair bit - the main issue for utopia is that unfortunately, there are a lot of people that like to play online game but hate the fact that when you are offline you province and kingdom can get smashed. People like the plug and play of being able to log on and off and know that when you do and log back in that your character/province or whatever is in a similar state. Utopia is a very time consuming game if you want to do well and that is what a lot of people I don't think can cope with.

A lot of the multi players are all hack and slack but you get a sense that you are constantly progressing. With utopia you can login, do an attack, think ok good, but then get 3 or 4 times as a retal and be miles back from where you were trying to get to.

I love that, always have, I have played this game for bloody ever but that is going to be the biggest struggle for a lot of new users/players.

There isn't really a solution because this is the game and it is going to take people that like playing this style and dealing with it. However, this is also a little bit of putting the cart before the horse because we need players to begin with.

My above points could be absolute crap if we ended up with more players and they all turned around and said actually no, I love this, it feels more alive and more real and the to and fro makes it more interesting.

Right now in terms of the game, I know if you type utopia it doesn't come up in a search. Is there a way to feed/advertise where if you are googling *games online to play* that utopia would pull up in the search? Right now is there any way for anyone to actually "stumble" on the game?

I'm not sure why my completely on-topic and insightful posts are being removed while all of these posts that will do nothing for the game are allowed to remain intact. We have been changing mechanics for over a decade and it has never served to increase the player base. Perhaps one of the mods was too cognitively feeble to differentiate a legitimately useful idea from trolling but without knowing which one, I can't very well educate him or her via PM.

Targeting the developing world is the only path. That's where old things are still pretty nice.

theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Needs to get out more
    You have to type "Utopia Game" and it comes up. I never bookmarked Utopia so I use active search when I'm using a couple screens in war.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 23-12-2017 at 17:32.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Regular
    If you all really want to increase the player count, then post the link with a witty description on University engineering/science/etc department bulletin boards. Do this at several dozen campuses globally and I guarantee you'd see decent numbers. Small stuff like this is what will keep Utopia alive.

Cheers.

PS: The players need to write up a much more cohesive guide. As it stands, new players still have little to no idea what they are doing.
    Last edited by CCanes420; 23-12-2017 at 18:30.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Snowstorm View Post
    I don't know who you ghetto noobs are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for free acres, I can tell you I don't have any for you... but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for noobs like you. If you CF now, that will be the end of it - I will not look for you, I will not pursue you... but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you... and I will razekill you.

This is the screenshot that can give you the idea of how hard it is to teach new players to play. He is a player from a game that is similar than utopia so he is somewhat familiar about the game. But since utopia menu is complicated, i had to take the som from my prov and told him to the very details in what he had to do to attack the target. Because teaching him about how to take som would take even longer time and I didn't have time for that at that moment.
    And also Idu why browser that has munkbot on, will take my stealths while I am taking som but show no result whether or not it is successful. So I HV to check kd page to see if I was successful or not, n if I am successful I could check the target def in his kd page. If I am not successful, I have to go back to thievery page n repeat everything until I can see enemy defense on his kd page. Then if I attack my target, I can't see the result either. So I HV to check kd news n go back to war room page again if I want to do more taps on my enemy. It is so frustrating to play utopia especially on the phone :(

And I have to teach him these steps every time he must attack is very excruciating. But I understand why he ask me over n over again. Because there are so many option in the game. The only solution I see right now is to replace him with a utopia player who I don't need to teach like this. Yes, that means one less new utopia player

Quote Originally Posted by newatthis View Post
    This is the screenshot that can give you the idea of how hard it is to teach new players to play. He is a player from a game that is similar than utopia so he is somewhat familiar about the game. But since utopia menu is complicated, i had to take the som from my prov and told him to the very details in what he had to do to attack the target. Because teaching him about how to take som would take even longer time and I didn't have time for that at that moment.
    And also Idu why browser that has munkbot on, will take my stealths while I am taking som but show no result whether or not it is successful. So I HV to check kd page to see if I was successful or not, n if I am successful I could check the target def in his kd page. If I am not successful, I have to go back to thievery page n repeat everything until I can see enemy defense on his kd page. Then if I attack my target, I can't see the result either. So I HV to check kd news n go back to war room page again if I want to do more taps on my enemy. It is so frustrating to play utopia especially on the phone :(
    Youre saying munkbot is eating the output of your Ingame operations?

Inb4 '.donate'
    Inb4 'not a bug'

Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    Youre saying munkbot is eating the output of your Ingame operations?

Inb4 '.donate'
    Inb4 'not a bug'
    Are you saying that I have to pay for Intel storage? That's the thing. That other game has in game full Intel storage and calculator for buildings, spells, army, everything. So casual players (which is majority of players in many games) who won't pay to play can still play just fine. But any games still need these casual players tho. Because needs big player base to make a game challenging for the payers.
    Anyway I have stated my opinion on the matter and it is up to you admins to take my inputs or not. Ppl can always debate about which mechanism is best to attract player. But there is no doubt in how important convenience of game playing is. Utopia is just too hard to play at phone n game menus are just too complicated for any new players.

Are you saying that I have to pay for Intel storage? That's the thing. That other game has in game full Intel storage and calculator for buildings, spells, army, everything. So casual players (which is majority of players in many games) who won't pay to play can still play just fine. But any games still need these casual players tho. Because needs big player base to make a game challenging for the payers.
    Anyway I have stated my opinion on the matter and it is up to you admins to take my inputs or not. Ppl can always debate about which mechanism is best to attract player. But there is no doubt in how important convenience of game playing is. Utopia is just too hard to play at phone n game menus are just too complicated for any new players.
    Munkbot is 'free', yes. I'm asking you Wtf your problem with it is exactly, and making fun of munk who demands donations for his Utopia related work while under the employ of MUGA, the owner of Utopia.

But I digress, you make a very good point.

Why are players donating to the game dev for functionality they've been asking for for years..

Better integration via third party API is what is needed.
    #magi

Administrator
    Are you saying that I have to pay for Intel storage?
    No, and to your other points native intel storage inside Utopia will be coming soon. Currently there are 3rd party tools that do this very well and up until now it's been a poor decision for us to spend the limited hours we have on development on developing something that's already working very well from 3rd party tools (Munk, Stinger, LucidBOT, upoopu).

Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    Why are players donating to the game dev for functionality they've been asking for for years..
    Utopia has been running for nearly 20 years now. MUGA has owned the game for less than 1 year. Development takes place when time permits and has been focused on items of highest priority first. Your original 'go to' complaint was 'fix oops before anything'. I can't recall the last complaint on oops now, yet "functionality they've been asking for for years" seems to be paramount now.
    We've got a long list of development objectives in front of us and they are being handled in a timely fashion.

If you want to complain about something, go through the tutorial and provide some constructive feedback on how to make it better.
    Spend your time on something that will help the game grow instead of asking foolish questions like 'why are players donating to the game dev for functionality they've been asking for for years".
    Please e-mail Utopia Support for any in-game related issues at UtopiaSupport@Utopia-Game.com

Account Deleted or Inactive? Click here!

Utopia Facebook Page <== Like us on Facebook and join the conversation!
    Follow us on Twitter @UtopiaClassic

Come join the MUGA Community on Discord: https://discord.gg/NZ4KywF

Thread Information