Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is being done to increase player base

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
    The trouble with the current system is the influx of new players has been too low to accommodate replacing the players moving up from the kds they learned to play in, who in turn have been too few to replace the players stepping out because of the crazy activity demands of the top. The top is is too much of a time sink for a lot of players in this game, and burnout is a real factor for those who can achieve sustained top play.

If we want to address the attrition that has resulted in this lower playerbase, the key isn't reducing kd size or anything like that. It's acting to reduce the amount of activity that is demanded of players at the top, and easing the learning curve required to play the game at a reasonable level. I won't pretend to know how to address that, but those are the two factors that need resolving imo.
    ^^^^

This i very much agree with. I had a very short talk a few weeks ago with david about what could be done to increase players and my suggestion was the same. I think allowing one scheduled activity per day or something along those lines would help a lot because right now its very annoying to prep for war.. waking up making build, waking up to train, waking up for wave. If at least one of those could be scheduled once a day that would help a lot in my eyes..

I also agree with what mansoor say and genesis could most likely be very fun unless they try to make it to team-focused instead of soloprov focused which genesis where before.

Another factor i think is huge is to NOT advertise the game to early... hawk is 100% correct with that once the campaign go up the game need to be perfect or else the ones that see the campaign and try the game wont ever come back and try again.

I think the new devs are doing a lot of good work with setting up a slack-server for people helping out with creating a better guide and all that..

People need to realise there is no huge rush, they juts bought the game they cant just advertise it the first thing they do. First they have to get the game to a point which they are satisfied with and i that takes another year that is fine because utopia have excisted like this for 8 years now pretty much so its not like it will die next week unless we have a massive ad-campaign right away.

offtopic:
    Also Hesus cried about how i never mention him on the forum anymore so im just going to put it out there that hesus is the most loyal and legit dude still in the game.. People blame him for all kinds of things because they think fratzia was a cheating kd.. its quite funny actually because he is stopid honorable some times and he would for example never accept land4gc and that stuff when that was popular which was very annoying since everyone else did it.. Happy now?

it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by vir View Post
    offtopic:
    Also Hesus cried about how i never mention him on the forum anymore so im just going to put it out there that hesus is the most loyal and legit dude still in the game.. People blame him for all kinds of things because they think fratzia was a cheating kd.. its quite funny actually because he is stopid honorable some times and he would for example never accept land4gc and that stuff when that was popular which was very annoying since everyone else did it.. Happy now?
    hesus should man up and use his forumaccount and start posting!

On topic: I agree with what you said vir.. first the base needs to be good before you can launch a campaign and all.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Regulate View Post
    Lets be frank for a minute. You can't advertise this game in it's current state. It's a waste of resources.

Beyond mechanics, learning curve, need of outside resources (Munk/Slack/WA), and math nature, Utopia is in desperate need of a facelift. If you drop advertising dollars into this uninviting, hard, math game, you are going to bounce new players left and right. We watch the numbers trickle down every age ive been back, and we keep changing mechanics, so it's not the mechanics that will bring and keep people. We need to upgrade how the game performs, especially on mobile, and this does NOT need to be done via an app, but rather mobile-friendly design.

Once the game is mobile compliant, you start to work on the imagery, graphics, style of the game. Different themes etc.

After these things are implemented, we can then start throwing FB social dollars, Email marketing dollars, Google Adwords dollars, rebranding dollars into the game. But if the structure of the game stays the same, it wont work.

I know there are a few WebDev guys here on the forums (ive worked with Chaddie before, sup mate?) and we can make good progress if we assemble a good little team to rebuild the structure of the game. Im not sure of David/Jeff's background, if they can implement these changes themselves. But if you guys cant, reach out.

@David, is there a Utopia Git repo, or can we make one so that potential Devs can branch from it and make changes?
    Quote Originally Posted by chadde View Post
    Sup. Happy to help in any way I can.
    We are looking at some of this currently, would be happy to have a conversation about it; shoot at email to utopiasupport and we can discuss if there is some way to help with moving to a more mobile-friendly format.

Forum Fanatic
    Mobile friendly yes, Graphics has already been tried and died a quick death.

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    I imagine some decent gains could be made by dropping mailers from the sky over rural parts of Africa where they are just now gaining access to the internet. They don't have the bandwidth to be playing graphical games yet so Utopia will probably be a big hit just like it was in the 90's for us.
    Seriously though, I played with many players from "2nd" or "3rd" world countries that spoke very little English. Perhaps adding the option to switch languages to something else then English could increase the number of potential players.
    I understand this game requires some intellect and language skills in order to succeed and/or to have fun but there are bilions of people out there that are sharp and don't know any english.

In all seriousness look how many Malays and Pinoys we have around here. Show us a % of players over internet capable population sorted by country please! I'm not trolling about Africa the time to get started there is now. I love the alternate languages idea especially for this particular group. It wouldn't be that hard to translate to Ebonics (or whatever it is they speak).
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by pierniczek View Post
    Seriously though, I played with many players from "2nd" or "3rd" world countries that spoke very little English. Perhaps adding the option to switch languages to something else then English could increase the number of potential players.
    I understand this game requires some intellect and language skills in order to succeed and/or to have fun but there are bilions of people out there that are sharp and don't know any english.
    I wonder if that is just creating issues though? Presumably it's fairly easy to translate the game pages but then your KD gets someone who can't speak English it's going to make teamwork pretty difficult. If they already know how to play the game, that's one thing, but trying to teach someone who is putting what I say through a translator (I imagine not very accurate - particularly with there being so many abbreviations too) sounds like it would be painful.

They can have their own kds with their own languages if they feel it's prohibitive. It wouldn't hurt us to learn some extra languages though especially with our increased interaction with these regions economically.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    They can have their own kds with their own languages if they feel it's prohibitive. It wouldn't hurt us to learn some extra languages though especially with our increased interaction with these regions economically.
    sounds like you want to segregate the first Africans to play utopia into their own kds so you can farm them.

Frankly, I think its unfortunate that people still think that way in the modern world. You'd be surprised by the incredible work ethic of the African people; they won't farm out so easily.

Enthusiast
    maybe it's just a rumor however I was under the impression there were no africans nor even african americans playing utopia.

Because there are barriers atm that need be lifted!

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/bbc-d...nguage-service

Needs to get out more
    I'm happy to play in kingdoms with language barriers. You learn to communicate through actions, and crying is hard to translate so everyone just seem tougher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

I'm with Octo, target the emerging markets.

Isn't Verm one of these people he so suddenly hates?

add translation tools to in game pm with fair marked warnings about their imperfections?

Also I'm not investing anymore time on this really beyond this mention here, but expanding the third party API so people can more easily add user-scripts and customize the webui to their liking would be a huge bonus in some circles. Also open sourcing the game engine would increase appeal among FOSS lovers; perhaps create a dual license for utopia, one for branding one for game engine? Fact of the matter is, utopia is a text based game which does not appeal to everyone; by not being FOSS friendly you are alienating one of the largest populations of txt based game lovers,

I sincerely doubt this game can (at this point) make it long term without being FOSS friendly.
    Last edited by khronosschoty; 15-12-2017 at 22:41.
    #magi

Thread Information