Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allow Monarch to award Medals to provinces

Allow Monarch to award Medals to provinces

Medals could be set or customization and would purely be for giving recognition to provinces that go above and beyond in service of the kingdom, or for fun awards at EOA or end of war. It would be cool if your player profile could then display medals you had received in past ages, but having them to give out during an age would be fun too.

I envision set medals that are awarded by the game itself after each war win like:

Sniper (did the last massacre to pk a province)

Legionnaire (Most attacks in a war/most uniques)

Battle Tested (Most attacks received in war)

Gandalf would be Proud (Most successful spells cast in war)

Backstabber (Most successful ops in war)

AND/OR customizable awards the Monarch could hand out.

I think loyal and active provinces should get some recognition besides honor (cause what about the guy that always gets chained) and be able to carry it with them throughout the ages (without a need for social presence and name recognition to prove they are a quality player)

Sounds fun. Good suggestion.

Post Fiend
    Great, fun suggestion!

They could add it to the province details page, since that's currently old and under viewed -- Right at the bottom, maybe 10 spots for images of the "medals" the province earned in the current age (province could earn the same medal in multiple wars too). Under each medal, the game could even come up with randomly generated auto text based on the enemy kingdom's name so you know where the medal was earned (e.g., The Invasion of [KD Name] or The Battle of [KD Name])

Player profile could also display past medals as OP suggested.

This idea is absurdly stupid. Like the most trivial and unimportant thing I've read today. You're suggested medals are hardly even accomplishments, since some ('Sniper', 'Best Tested') require no skill at all and amount to simple participation trophies. And ones that need to be awarded by the monarch at that, creating all sorts of room for problems when people feel jilted or ignored when passed up.

If you absolutely want an achievement system (which honestly, given the direction some retired players are taking and how some idiots in ghettos who can't play try to play) might not be a terrible idea. However, they should be automatically unlocked achievements and not awards or medals or whatever stupid **** you progressive snowflakes hand out.

Got no ****ing idea what could be made into achievements though, but if theyre going to be considered (and they shouldnt be) it should only be in the form of an predetermined and unlockable achievement system.

I don't think its a good idea. Since the monarch is handing them out its sorta arbitrary.
    #magi

@drys That is what I was thinking as far as where they could be displayed.

@Pillz While I understand, and agree that "participation" trophies are sometimes trivial, in this context I see them more as a fun addition to the game. To say it is stupid and unimportant may be true for older players who know what they are capable of, but this game is going to have a hard time capturing players if it does not give more to new players. I have welcomed many new players over the past few ages, and for me, one of the toughest things is showing appreciation for their continued and increased effort to get better at the game. This kind of award system does not affect game play, but I think modernizes the game in a way that could be supportive of new player retention. Don't you think it would be cool to have records connected to your profile page of your accomplishments, because this could and if implemented should be used to record crowns/undefeated war records etc? As far as the specifics of how it would be implemented, I'm sure there are ways I haven't conceived of that would make them less arbitrary than custom Monarch awards...Idk who would be more qualified than the Monarch, who everyone voted for, but a KD EOA survey for preset awards going to the highest point getters could solve that problem.

Post Fiend
    @Pillz I think you're wrong on Battle Tested. Most new players hate getting hit. As a Monarch, Steward and a inviter of brand spanking new players, i have listened to my fair share of new players complaining that they're being singled out because the other side hates them, or they have the bad luck of the Kingdom. A silly award that doesn't really do much but give you maybe a title, still is some way of acknowledging that they did a service to the kd/team. And why bring your real world political/social assumptions into it, this is still a game for fun, and rewarding people for doing seemingly trivial but helpful things i think is perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kido View Post
    @Pillz I think you're wrong on Battle Tested. Most new players hate getting hit. As a Monarch, Steward and a inviter of brand spanking new players, i have listened to my fair share of new players complaining that they're being singled out because the other side hates them, or they have the bad luck of the Kingdom. A silly award that doesn't really do much but give you maybe a title, still is some way of acknowledging that they did a service to the kd/team. And why bring your real world political/social assumptions into it, this is still a game for fun, and rewarding people for doing seemingly trivial but helpful things i think is perfectly fine.
    Youre whole post is fundamentally incorrect.

First of all, what new players or whoever it is who is complaining about being hit need is an explanation of why they're being hit. Some reasons might be...
    - their province is trash and thus an easy target
    - the enemy is chaining them as part of their war strategy

In both cases, explain what's happening to them and why, what it means, and what they can do about it (if anything).

Being chained is a part of the game. If they are whining about it, they either lack the context to understand it or they're going to whine about everything for as long as they happen to play.

Rewarding them for it is pointless. It doesn't actually signify anything. What if the reason they're hit so much is just that they are trash, and you have failed to properly instruct them? Reward them for abject failure then?

Why reward people for something that's part of the game (chaining)? Might as well reward people for suffering lots of FB or NS too?

Has nothing to do with politics, everything to do with best practices and consideration for consequences. Teach people how to play and to understand how game play works, and they're going to learn to play properly. Coddle them and reward their whining and they are going to be bad players with bad practices and habits and bad perceptions of how the game operates and where they fit in.

Forum Fanatic
    Damn I’m getting old , I’ve agreed with Steel so many times this year it’s scary. Either I’m old or he’s came to his Senses finally

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder TA View Post
    Damn I’m getting old , I’ve agreed with Steel so many times this year it’s scary. Either I’m old or he’s came to his Senses finally
    You're old, and have come to your senses in old age.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    Youre whole post is fundamentally incorrect.

First of all, what new players or whoever it is who is complaining about being hit need is an explanation of why they're being hit. Some reasons might be...
    - their province is trash and thus an easy target
    - the enemy is chaining them as part of their war strategy

In both cases, explain what's happening to them and why, what it means, and what they can do about it (if anything).

Being chained is a part of the game. If they are whining about it, they either lack the context to understand it or they're going to whine about everything for as long as they happen to play.

Rewarding them for it is pointless. It doesn't actually signify anything. What if the reason they're hit so much is just that they are trash, and you have failed to properly instruct them? Reward them for abject failure then?

Why reward people for something that's part of the game (chaining)? Might as well reward people for suffering lots of FB or NS too?

Has nothing to do with politics, everything to do with best practices and consideration for consequences. Teach people how to play and to understand how game play works, and they're going to learn to play properly. Coddle them and reward their whining and they are going to be bad players with bad practices and habits and bad perceptions of how the game operates and where they fit in.
    Stop sidetracking the suggestion. You imply all those things are not explained... when they most certainly are, but the fact that they are explained is not the point. I mean, man, you're really making a mountain out of a molehill here. I think the OP suggestion is fun. New players aside. If there is pretty much no gameplay effected, then it seems like a fun in-team competition to have. I mean the groundwork might be already done with the History page showing stats, adding an award earned to that page from war 1, 2, 3 and/or etc might be not difficult.

And i'm really not sure about it being "fundamentally incorrect". But you are welcome to discuss in a PM about why and how. Best not sideline the suggestion further.

The game already offers tools that monarchs can utilize to recognize their players and be as creative as they want. We use KD forum and/or in-game mail for this. We mostly run silly awards for the most banged/hit "Jenna Jameson Award" or those who were deepest chained "Linda Lovelace Award." Other then that the game already has multiple areas of recognition via the ranking pages. The game doesn't need more frivolous items when it already offers tools. Don't be lazy, use what is already available to you.

Forum Addict
    This is a great idea. Especially for new players and sub 100 kingdoms.
    Anyone who doesn't like or need it can ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kido View Post
    Stop sidetracking the suggestion. You imply all those things are not explained... when they most certainly are, but the fact that they are explained is not the point. I mean, man, you're really making a mountain out of a molehill here. I think the OP suggestion is fun. New players aside. If there is pretty much no gameplay effected, then it seems like a fun in-team competition to have. I mean the groundwork might be already done with the History page showing stats, adding an award earned to that page from war 1, 2, 3 and/or etc might be not difficult.

And i'm really not sure about it being "fundamentally incorrect". But you are welcome to discuss in a PM about why and how. Best not sideline the suggestion further.
    I've in no way side tracked the discussion. I think its a bad idea, that offers no benefit to game play. I've explained why.

This is a great idea. Especially for new players and sub 100 kingdoms.
    Anyone who doesn't like or need it can ignore it.
    Yet no explanation of why its a great idea.

Post Fiend
    Wait, didn't every single one of your ideas for the medals just simply include math, and have nothing to do with the monarch handing out medals.

I am not opposed to the idea of utopia having an achievements/trophy system, but are we not about 10 years late on this "idea."

F98K, if this is implemented i want my last 19 years of game play achievements awarded!

Thread Information