Thread: Where does everyone hang out now?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    News Correspondent Mad_Scottish's Avatar

Where does everyone hang out now?

Hi Folks,

Caved and stuck my head back in and have created a province. Where do people hang out now if not on IRC? I am assuming SLACK. Do Slack actually have public channels where we can badger each other? :D

Slack as you suspected and no slack dont have "public" channel in the same sense as irc.

That is a shame, I feel it takes away from the game a bit when you can't talk more freely with people. Although a lot of that is nostalgic as well given how much conversation used to happen.

Administrator
    Could the Twitter feed that's been going on for ~2 weeks be a foreshadow of a global chat system coming soon!? ... I wonder!
    Please e-mail Utopia Support for any in-game related issues at UtopiaSupport@Utopia-Game.com

Account Deleted or Inactive? Click here!

Utopia Facebook Page <== Like us on Facebook and join the conversation!
    Follow us on Twitter @UtopiaClassic

Come join the MUGA Community on Discord: https://discord.gg/NZ4KywF

Heya Mad Scottish. Long time no see mate :)

Most of the community chat these days is through the forums or in #tactics, various kds have their own private slack servers or discord chans. David and the crew have been working on a new integrated chat system for a while now tho, and that should be ready to roll out in the not-screamingly-distant future :)
    "The phrase... 'Who's your daddy?'... comes to mind"

Please make any complaints or requests regarding moderation to myself directly or a member of the Game Administration staff. Complaints in threads will be purged as per forum policy

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Scottish View Post
    Hi Folks,

Caved and stuck my head back in and have created a province. Where do people hang out now if not on IRC? I am assuming SLACK. Do Slack actually have public channels where we can badger each other? :D
    Who is 'everyone'? Utopia is dead.

#tactics has between 30-50 idlers at a time when you count munkbot absentees I suppose.
    Slack is garbage and it's disappointing that the administration is pushing a service that is detrimental to community development and cohesion, but what else can we expect?
    The forums have become, effectively, a no-go zone because DavidC finally realized the trick to killing the game fastest is through the forums. Presumably he thinks that killing the community will increase the return on his investment. Needless to say, DylanC was a much better businessman and DavidC is standing in his shadow.

Most of the community chat these days is through the forums or in #tactics, various kds have their own private slack servers or discord chans. David and the crew have been working on a new integrated chat system for a while now tho, and that should be ready to roll out in the not-screamingly-distant future :)
    I am so happy that Mods are not privvy to privileged information regarding game changes and features... youre really amazing at keeping your word DavidC.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post

Slack is garbage and it's disappointing that the administration is pushing a service that is detrimental to community development and cohesion, but what else can we expect?

I am so happy that Mods are not privvy to privileged information regarding game changes and features... youre really amazing at keeping your word DavidC.
    Where are you coming up with this garbage? Since when have I pushed slack?

In what way are Mods privvy to privileged information? You mean when I spoke about IRC integration to Utopia as a global chat feature on the Affairs of the State episode and stated publicly (I can't count how many times) in IRC and other areas to anyone and everyone who was willing to listen, if that's your interpretation of privileged information then I can understand your misguided preconceptions of how my team works.
    Last edited by DavidC; 23-12-2017 at 21:20.
    Please e-mail Utopia Support for any in-game related issues at UtopiaSupport@Utopia-Game.com

Account Deleted or Inactive? Click here!

Utopia Facebook Page <== Like us on Facebook and join the conversation!
    Follow us on Twitter @UtopiaClassic

Come join the MUGA Community on Discord: https://discord.gg/NZ4KywF

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Where are you coming up with this garbage? Since when have I pushed slack?

In what way are Mods privvy to privileged information? You mean when I spoke about IRC integration to Utopia as a global chat feature on the Affairs of the State episode and stated publicly (I can't count how many times) in IRC and other areas to anyone and everyone who was willing to listen, if that's your interpretation of privileged information then I can understand your misguided preconceptions of how my team works.
    Your last affairs of the state was 3 months ago.

'immeniently soon' does not really mesh with information from a 3 month old podcast.

If it was relayed on IRC that's fair enough, but I seriously doubt it. Feel free to post logs.

Edit: by using slack you're endorsing the service imo. You are using it for the test group, aren't you? That is one reason the whole Bart mess blew up, wasn't it? A private invite only chat group that Bart pretended gave him privileged access to you?

I give you credit though, at least you don't use #tactics through slack. It means a lot to me.
    Last edited by Pillz; 23-12-2017 at 23:27.

Slack, Facebook, Twitter, these are very anti FOSS. Utopia will never again appeal to the majority of people. Your largest potential target audience is the FOSS community. So pushing services deemed "the enemy" by FOSS lovers is insuring the end of utopia. There are many people who would play utopia if it was FOSS and FOSS friendly.
    #magi

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
    Slack, Facebook, Twitter, these are very anti FOSS. Utopia will never again appeal to the majority of people. Your largest potential target audience is the FOSS community. So pushing services deemed "the enemy" by FOSS lovers is insuring the end of utopia. There are many people who would play utopia if it was FOSS and FOSS friendly.
    Just wanted you to know you're being listened to. Merry Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Quote Originally Posted by StratOcastle View Post
    Just wanted you to know you're being listened to. Merry Christmas.
    Merry Christmas to you as well friend.
    #magi

Would discord be an option for a more global forum area? Not pushing this but seems to be the go to for a lot of games and most people I talk to always say, do you have discord??

I have been playing around with it a bit and like the fact you can voice channels and text channels. Although, saying this as well as I wasn't aware of the new chat system and not sure what that looks like at being able to have people across kingdoms/community able to communicate with each other.

Forum Fanatic
    Hey old man , look me up ingame

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Scottish View Post
    Hi Folks,

The local pub. You would know that if you would tell you wife you were going drinking with me and then ACTUALLY do it.
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

If a publicly posted and repeatedly announced recording of a live-streamed interview counts as privileged information, then every investor in every company ever would be done for insider trading.

I based my statement on the last Affairs of the State vid, and the fact that 3 months have passed since then so I would expect that significant progress has been made towards that goal by now (tho if I am wrong I apologise to David for making assumptions, I know you guys are busy).

I feel just as much like a mushroom about the development side of the game as the rest of you :)
    "The phrase... 'Who's your daddy?'... comes to mind"

Please make any complaints or requests regarding moderation to myself directly or a member of the Game Administration staff. Complaints in threads will be purged as per forum policy

Thread Information