Thread: War tournament game mode

War tournament game mode

Have a game mode with head to head arranged wars in a tournament format. Each match lasts a fixed time, highest nw wins.

After each match, everyone resets to the same size, and there's a fixed prep time before the next match. The next opponent could be hidden or revealed before the match actually starts.

Most importantly, the action should be somehow accessible to the broad community, so that people can spectate/commentate/l2p.

Clearly this wouldn't happen in WoL, it destroys the grand melee concept to have all this resetting. It would be a way to add spectacle and give the community something to do other than grouse at each other.

'The Great Utopian War'

Is what your idea is called. It was active in like 2007 or something for one round, after Standoff.

It's not a bad idea but realistically I don't think it has any place in the game right now. There are far too few players.

On the other hand, both GUW and Standoff were won by obscenely large cows (goodz was one?) and that is no longer possible...could make it more interesting.

Also with trading being more difficult, if you disallowed invites for it the inevitable top player rape of ghetto players would be mitigated.

Make the KDs smaller in terms of province quantities for something like this... What is the smallest you could do, half a dozen maybe? A Rogue, A Mystic, and 4 Attackers, roughly.

To enter you have to submit a predetermined roster of 6 users, or be entered into a pool of individual users, randomly grouped into 6s.

On top of this tournament which would be ongoing, and repeating if it were to start, I would hope... you could also just have steady 1v1s where people can do the same, submit their team of 6, or be randomly grouped, and face another KD in a one-off, time-limited War. Ideally you could even issue a direct challenge to a specific team of 6 for this type of war, on top of just being randomly pitted against another opponent.

Once a group of 6 people is submitted their tourney and 1v1 war stats as a group could be tracked, as well as individuals who dont war with the same 6 each time.

Quote Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
    Make the KDs smaller in terms of province quantities for something like this... What is the smallest you could do, half a dozen maybe? A Rogue, A Mystic, and 4 Attackers, roughly.

To enter you have to submit a predetermined roster of 6 users, or be entered into a pool of individual users, randomly grouped into 6s.

On top of this tournament which would be ongoing, and repeating if it were to start, I would hope... you could also just have steady 1v1s where people can do the same, submit their team of 6, or be randomly grouped, and face another KD in a one-off, time-limited War. Ideally you could even issue a direct challenge to a specific team of 6 for this type of war, on top of just being randomly pitted against another opponent.

Once a group of 6 people is submitted their tourney and 1v1 war stats as a group could be tracked, as well as individuals who dont war with the same 6 each time.
    6 is too few imo. And make it an odd number.

Your idea of submitting players is terrible. Would be fun for top players but the masses would whine because they'd all get stomped. Random groups only way to go if it's to be 'inclusive' to all players.

Though I do like the idea of two tournament servers, one random and the other not

Well, with team size larger than 6 or so, I agree the submitted team isn't so good. At small sizes it breaks the experienced KDs into groups of 4, which should create enough competition. Some would get stomped... but its gonna happen no matter what, just like it does now. I guess you could have a relegation, or 'B' Tournament, some KDs able to move up and down each Age depending on performance... I realize all that kinda stuff is where it gets complicated to organize. It would sure be fun, though!

Maybe 9 for KD roster size? I don't think I like the idea of more than 10 really.

Quote Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
    Well, with team size larger than 6 or so, I agree the submitted team isn't so good. At small sizes it breaks the experienced KDs into groups of 4, which should create enough competition. Some would get stomped... but its gonna happen no matter what, just like it does now. I guess you could have a relegation, or 'B' Tournament, some KDs able to move up and down each Age depending on performance... I realize all that kinda stuff is where it gets complicated to organize. It would sure be fun, though!

Maybe 9 for KD roster size? I don't think I like the idea of more than 10 really.
    I can't remember sizes in the original GUW but I want to say it was 12 or so?

I think 9 or 11 would work.

If you wanted to make it a real tournament server with brackets or whatever, I'm sure Zauper has ideas?? Don't you Zauper? We never hear from you

I guess I should have expected it to have been done already, this game's been around a while. May I ask why it wasn't continued? Did people enjoy it?

Post Fiend
    I like this idea, and i like the suggestion of low numbers. 6 would be cool, 1 mage, 1 thief, 4 attackers, or whatever comp the leader decided. 7 Could also be fun too, leave 1 spot as flavor -> Do you have an extra Attacker or a Hybrid thief?

I think this game-type, and creating a matchmaking service like you see on other games would be really beneficial for a lot of players who cannot commit to serious play for an entire Age.

Veteran
    I like the ideas in this thread.

I like the idea of shorter ages. 12 weeks puts me off right now.

I like the idea of being able to choose my KD-mates.

I agree there should also be a random option. And I agree with Pillz that it would probably need to be on a separate server.

ps Stand off was won by Dawn of the Samurais. Maybe some people in it were large cows but some/many were attackers - I was one (defected into Samurais near the end). I really enjoyed that environment - great mix between ability to pick a good race, game skill and diplomacy (and luck ofc). For people not playing then, it wasn't a war tournament as is being described in this thread, but more of a last person standing (everyone lost x acres a day until there was only one KD left).

Thread Information