Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mentoring

Mentoring

http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...0#post15460090 <<< original post

People time to give something back to the game... who is willing...

Anyone that is interested in becoming an Utopia Mentor please e-mail: DavidC@Utopia-Game.com
    :) :) :)
    Laughter IS the best medicine - always

Postaholic
    More information regarding what this even means would be swell.

Veteran
    @David - yeah sorry I had meant to ask what Swagger said too. I appreciate you won't necessarily know the answers to all this yet, and of course it can evolve, but what are you thinking of to begin with? For example:

- Is it mentoring a KD or a person or something else?
    - If it's a person, is that a new person to the game or any existing player who asked to be mentored?
    - If it's a KD then how is the KD selected? Is it one who requests it? If so, are we going to ensure a reasonable level of activity there first or can we end up mentoring a KD of a few active people and churning through non active new people for ages?
    - Would we know what the aims are before getting "matched"? eg on a KD level is it growth or war kd? On a prov level, I suppose the same applies to some extent.

-How will the logistics work? Eg how do we see their prov / KD to be able to mentor? Do we get a slot in their KD? If so, can we have 2 provs for that purpose (normal and mentor) and would the mentor prov be limited in some ways?

Post Demon
    thanks for bringing this up, it might be interesting, had thougth about grabbing a handfull of noobs then do some funky stuff myself such as bocan/warhero or something else a bit on the crazy side, of course then I would need to pair up with a few kingdoms to get those players over in full teams after a while.

I agree that we need more information, perhaps I'll send that email, then hope the concept is something I can agree with and that there is a base need and interest so it will be something they proceed with.

My question is will they be moved to my KD.
    Last edited by sl0hnd; 17-01-2018 at 01:19. Reason: Voldebart
    if its in the game... I like Bishop. I don't care what my Mommy says about him.

My question is, do people want to be mentored by burnouts?
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheister View Post
    My question is, do people want to be mentored by burnouts?
    Thats actually a good legit question
    “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
    - unknown

Thats proly not a valid question 'cause why would burnouts, slackers, or lazy ppl volenteer?

Quote Originally Posted by sl0hnd View Post
    Thats proly not a valid question 'cause why would burnouts, slackers, or lazy ppl volenteer?
    Hows that not a valid question. They don't have to devote themselves 100% to the game like they used to. So maybe they feel they can give back a little bit, only then find out they really didn't have time for that as well.
    “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
    - unknown

Not to mention the attitude of a burnout. I can't imagine a worse mentor for an enthusiastic new player than me atm.
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Post Fiend
    What if the mentors worked AS mentors in shifts or on a case by case basis?

As in WHEN a prov asks for a mentor that they are so much assigned as volenteer for THAT prov...

Administrator
    We're still working out the exact details.

New players will have the ability to contact mentors. Mentors that are currently online and show as available are then able to engage in a 1:1 conversation with the mentee.

I don't think we are currently planning to have the relationship run long-term so much as an on-demand in-game question answering platform, though mentors will certainly be able to connect with and stay in touch with those that they talk to.

Mentors should be approved by the admin team, to ensure that they actually have a reasonable level of experience and game knowledge to offer to mentees.

Otherwise, this will only serve to exacerbate the problem of new players being ignorant of how to play. Blind leading the blind etc etc

<removed>
    Last edited by Palem; 17-01-2018 at 22:10.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    Mentors should be approved by the admin team, to ensure that they actually have a reasonable level of experience and game knowledge to offer to mentees.

Otherwise, this will only serve to exacerbate the problem of new players being ignorant of how to play. Blind leading the blind etc etc

<removed>
    I was going to say this but you said it better. I see a lot of bad or just straight up wrong advice given on the forums, like the guy who said faery success rate for casting on KD mates was based on the targets guild %. I would hate to see that given to a new player from someone they think knows what they are talking about.
    Last edited by Palem; 17-01-2018 at 22:11.

Such recommendations are useless unless you are Mod, Admin, or Dev.
    When bad advise is given its always corrected. Always.
    Thats why I asked if the person asking for a Mentor should be placed in the Mentors KD. The entire KD could help.
    I would not let some ppl here walk my Dog.

Anybody who has played 2 ages can mentor a new player on How to startup.

Personal attacks are more Mental than Mentor

BMWs abound here.
    Last edited by sl0hnd; 17-01-2018 at 22:10. Reason: Bitter Miserable Wretches, Voldebart lives

Thread Information