Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mentoring

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    Mentors should be approved by the admin team, to ensure that they actually have a reasonable level of experience and game knowledge to offer to mentees.

Otherwise, this will only serve to exacerbate the problem of new players being ignorant of how to play. Blind leading the blind etc etc
    Mentors are being approved by the admin team.

Post Fiend
    Is it "an Utopia Mentor" or is it "a Utopia Mentor"?

On topic, I like sl0hnd's point.

It takes a village. A more appropriate teaching method to mentoring would be apprenticing, but I think that's more or less the current teaching/training method.

Is the problem that we lack monarchs then?

Maybe the problem is it's too easy for kingdoms to avoid war? Allowing them to play weak, inefficient strategies and in effect 'learning the game wrong'. Survival of the fittest would teach the game naturally. Safety nets and baby-proofing will provide false conclusions to new players.

Mentoring: a noble idea, but I don't know if it's the solution to the problem.
    Last edited by Wolzly; 17-01-2018 at 23:45.

Fail to see why my post needed an edit. It wasn't an insult.

Sl0hnd yet again demonstrates utter and complete detachment from Utopian reality by asserting that anyone playing for two ages is qualified to help someone start a province.

Post Demon
    Hey you do not need to know it all, just be upfront about it if you are unsure of a particulair answer and suggest them to check with other mentors or better still check it for them. Being aware what you are lacking yourself can help you to improve yourself as well while helping out others.

As I learn more from a program volunteer this is sounding more like a customer support chat team that is meant to answer per encounter issues.
    Randomination4Lyfe
    Age 67-Current

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    Fail to see why my post needed an edit. It wasn't an insult.

Sl0hnd yet again demonstrates utter and complete detachment from Utopian reality by asserting that anyone playing for two ages is qualified to help someone start a province.
    Our ultimate objective by offering the system we will be introducing is to get players that create an account, to:
    1) Create a Province
    2) Perform actions on their own Province
    3) Perform aggressive actions on the server

These are the most critical objectives for a new player. These are metrics we can currently track easily and we want the current numbers to improve.

To that end, the system we plan to introduce is, as JeffT mentioned, a 1 on 1 chat system that will allow a person on the website to contact someone directly and ask questions.

We understand there are varying degrees and levels of what most people believe a "Mentoring" program should have, and those varying levels would have vastly different objectives. Our current objective is to provide new users to the website the tools and answers they need to get started and begin running their Province. If you can begin running your Province then there are other avenues for gathering knowledge and experience, i.e. communicating with your Kingdom.

We largely expect the system will be used by players of different skill and knowledge levels to ask questions about mechanics or gameplay things and these requests won't go unanswered. However, Mentors will be provided all the same information that is available to the Utopia Community and will be able to communicate that information to the users. Mentors will have private chat rooms to speak with other online and available Mentors to ensure questions are answered properly. These areas will be monitored by Game Operators to provide our knowledge as well.

All transcripts are recorded and will be reviewed for quality assurance and if Mentors are providing false information or directing players negatively with malicious intent appropriate corrective action will take place.

I hope that clarifies a lot of the questions out there so far. We've got a fair list of Mentors that have stepped forward already and we expect to begin testing shortly and will see the system implemented in the very near future.

So I would like to refute your statement and say that anyone that has played for 2 ages COULD be a Mentor and be capable of assisting a new player with the base objectives that we are aiming for from this program as I've listed above. To state it more simply, the objective of the Mentoring program is to assist players that are currently NOT playing Utopia to begin playing. If players require more assistance than someone is capable of giving, there will be plenty of resources available to make the necessary accommodations.
    Please e-mail Utopia Support for any in-game related issues at UtopiaSupport@Utopia-Game.com

Account Deleted or Inactive? Click here!

Utopia Facebook Page <== Like us on Facebook and join the conversation!
    Follow us on Twitter @UtopiaClassic

Come join the MUGA Community on Discord: https://discord.gg/NZ4KywF

Post Fiend
    If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like a move towards incorporating some sort of utonet style irc system.

I know you didn't say that explicitly (or at all), but this:

We largely expect the system will be used by players of different skill and knowledge levels to ask questions about mechanics or gameplay things and these requests won't go unanswered. However, Mentors will be provided all the same information that is available to the Utopia Community and will be able to communicate that information to the users. Mentors will have private chat rooms to speak with other online and available Mentors to ensure questions are answered properly. These areas will be monitored by Game Operators to provide our knowledge as well.

All transcripts are recorded and will be reviewed for quality assurance and if Mentors are providing false information or directing players negatively with malicious intent appropriate corrective action will take place.
    Sounds a lot like a simple irc server with channels that have set admins, bots, and logs.

This actually sounds amazing if it can evolve properly.

Something to replace the in-game chat and really develop the player-base and community.

They are looking into using Discord.

Administrator
    Stay on topic or contribute to the discussion.

Octo: your post was not on topic and was removed.

If you can't stay on topic, don't post or you soon won't be capable of posting. The rules are simple.
    Please e-mail Utopia Support for any in-game related issues at UtopiaSupport@Utopia-Game.com

Account Deleted or Inactive? Click here!

Utopia Facebook Page <== Like us on Facebook and join the conversation!
    Follow us on Twitter @UtopiaClassic

Come join the MUGA Community on Discord: https://discord.gg/NZ4KywF

In what twisted version of the world is a post about desiring to be mentored off topic in a thread about the prospective new mentoring system? I thought the rules were simple but they're proving to be quite complex.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Can I perhaps mentor you in the forum aspects octobrev?
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

That would be greatly appreciated dear Sheister! Clearly I still have a great deal to learn. Just yesterday, I found out that you don't need to include a 3% oversend on ambush.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

oh man!

All those wasted troops through the ages!
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Post Demon
    I'm still waiting for a reply to my mail not entirely sure what to expect at this point from this project but hoping to be able to lend a hand without comitting to much time to it.

Anyone want to be mentored in how to go 0 farms and never starve on a Dryad?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    So I would like to refute your statement and say that anyone that has played for 2 ages COULD be a Mentor and be capable of assisting a new player with the base objectives that we are aiming for from this program as I've listed above. To state it more simply, the objective of the Mentoring program is to assist players that are currently NOT playing Utopia to begin playing. If players require more assistance than someone is capable of giving, there will be plenty of resources available to make the necessary accommodations.
    ^^ What he said^^
    if its in the game... I like Bishop. I don't care what my Mommy says about him.

Thread Information