Thread: -effects

Postaholic

-effects

It's pretty important that 1-x effects be geometric, rather than arithmetic.

Say you have a -10% attack time, and you allow this to be arithmetically cumulative. Building 10 of them would give you -100% attack time, aka instantaneous attacks. Clearly bad! Likewise if you added -25% for war plus -15% for tact plus -35% for rax plus -10% for godspeed plus -10% for quickfeet plus -30% from avian you'd have substantial negative attack time.

In another example, with GS and rax being 1-x, if you get 50% from guard stations this is not giving you a 50% bonus, but rather a 100%: enemy gains being cut in half. Long-term, a fix for this is making these into 1/(1+x) effects, so 50% from guard stations only gives 100/150 = 2/3 net gains.

Rather, these should be geometric. Particularly in the case of gains or attack time. If small effects are combined, simply multiply them. If larger effects are to be applied, an inverse geometric formula (e^-kx) should be used.

Post Demon
    not sure what you are on about but it sounds like you can't do math

-25% from war and then another -15% from tactician does not give -40%, it gives 0,75x0,85 = 0,6375 or a reduction of the original attack time of 37,25% or an attack time of 10,2 hours.

now you can't use QF as an avian, but with tactician and goodspeed in war you get 0,75x0,85x0,65x0,9x0,7 = 0,261 or a reduction of 73,9% for an attack time of 4,18 hours, that is providing you max out effect from barracks, and go avian tactician with a 100% goodspeed ritual in war, hardly sustainable or something that would occure particularily often, when I last went avian with barracks the best I could do in war was just below 7 hours if my barracks was build before the hit, did not have rituals back then, and I never bothered wth tactician.

if you get 50% from guard stations this is not giving you a 50% bonus, but rather a 100%: enemy gains being cut in half.
    .... That's not how that works.... -50 losses is cutting opponents gains in half. Minus 100 is cutting them to zero...

I guess I understand what you mean by bonus, but that's neither how it's described Ingame or how it really functions. You know that though so not sure what you mean to say/prove here

Thread Information