Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Generals.io Discussion (Holiday Announcement)

  1. #16
    Postaholic
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    928
    It has a rather large following.

  2. #17
    Post Fiend
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    130
    I think it's fun. It's a simple almost stratego like strategy game.
    Currently in Emeriti
    Formerly of: Darwins Dark Legions, Freestyle KLA, Equilibrium, Mercy, Havoc, Sanctuary, Hall of Heroes, Pyromaniacs

  3. #18
    Sir Postalot Pillz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sinners NA
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthira View Post
    It has a rather large following.
    And yet... here you are empty handed.

    And the reddit isn't even all that active, either... better than the long-dead Utopia one with 100 members but really not encouraging.

  4. #19
    Postaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    850
    The utopia subreddit has no reason for existing as long as this archaic forum exists, hence the ghost town.

  5. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    621
    Their discord has 2000 members.

  6. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    504
    What everyone hopes that happens: turn utopia from a ****ty looking game to a smooth modern game to attract more players. What happens: acquire another ****ty looking game.

    Everyone sees utopia's player numbers are in decline, the 10k players planned for in the twitch thingy are far from there, so if at first you don't succeed, try, try again unfortunately with a different game :'(

    I dunno, it doesn't feel right, but what do i know. Doesn't help that in the announcements they try to encourage utopia players to play generals and not the other way around..
    Last edited by Yadda9To5; 01-02-2018 at 12:50.
    http://www.upoopu.com/: an intel repository (or: "pimp alternative") for utopia (read the guide).

  7. #22
    Dear Friend Korp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadda9To5 View Post
    What everyone hopes that happens: turn utopia from a ****ty looking game to a smooth modern game to attract more players. What happens: acquire another ****ty looking game.

    Everyone sees utopia's player numbers are in decline, the 10k players planned for in the twitch thingy are far from there, so if at first you don't succeed, try, try again unfortunately with a different game :'(

    I dunno, it doesn't feel right, but what do i know. Doesn't help that in the announcements they try to encourage utopia players to play generals and not the other way around..
    How many Generals.io players does read this forum you think?

  8. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    How many Generals.io players does read this forum you think?
    lol smartypants, probably close to 0, that's why there is an announcement on their reddit, which i was referring to, where utopia is referred to as an old game and great plans are laid out to improve generals o.O (worse, it's implied there that generals is meant to get players from their current playersbase "the MUGA team has been working to find other creative ways at developing an engaging and entertaining atmosphere for its users, enter Generals.io") Comparing those two announcements it's clear the direction the players are supposed to move :/
    http://www.upoopu.com/: an intel repository (or: "pimp alternative") for utopia (read the guide).

  9. #24
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadda9To5 View Post
    Doesn't help that in the announcements they try to encourage utopia players to play generals and not the other way around..
    That doesn't mean they aren't trying to get generals players to play utopia. I already know of at least two who are/have started since yesterday.

    David already said he wants to encourage players from both games to try the other game. In the Utopia announcement, David talked about integrating generals into Utopia - clearly that is based on the intention that Utopia continues to exist. There's no need to be so negative about everything - there's plenty of space for people to try to help Utopia grow if they want to.
    Last edited by Chris121; 01-02-2018 at 14:49.

  10. #25
    Forum Fanatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,661
    Yes, we do also have plans to improve generals. The original developer is working for us on those items. This doesn't remove any of the resources or money that we are putting into improvements on this side.

    We originally approached generals as an affinity partner, looking to cross-promote and potentially embed -- thinking that there was a great overlap between the two games, with generals being a tactics-focused short play game, and utopia being a more long-term strategic game. Many of the players of each would enjoy the other, and generals could be embedded inside of utopia to give players something to do in downtime between ticks when they might be out of stealth/mana and have armies out.

    The owner suggested this route instead, and we are happy with this outcome. We still have the same vision, because we feel like the two games have solid synergies with each other. If you aren't interested in generals.io, don't play it. Bored while the game is ticking? Maybe play a quick round of generals instead of spamming refresh the way I do. Or don't. Our hope is that some of their more vibrant userbase will help us to revitalize utopia when they find that they enjoy the more long-term strategic approach. Our goal is not to push people from utopia to generals; frankly, the nature of generals is that it's playerbase will be more temporary, but it has a significantly larger userbase. This isn't utopia kingdoms, we haven't built a pay to win game that we want to push you into instead of utopia. Our hope is for both communities -- that already exist and don't need to be built -- to be enriched by the interaction.

  11. #26
    Sir Postalot Pillz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sinners NA
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    Yes, we do also have plans to improve generals. The original developer is working for us on those items. This doesn't remove any of the resources or money that we are putting into improvements on this side.

    We originally approached generals as an affinity partner, looking to cross-promote and potentially embed -- thinking that there was a great overlap between the two games, with generals being a tactics-focused short play game, and utopia being a more long-term strategic game. Many of the players of each would enjoy the other, and generals could be embedded inside of utopia to give players something to do in downtime between ticks when they might be out of stealth/mana and have armies out.

    The owner suggested this route instead, and we are happy with this outcome. We still have the same vision, because we feel like the two games have solid synergies with each other. If you aren't interested in generals.io, don't play it. Bored while the game is ticking? Maybe play a quick round of generals instead of spamming refresh the way I do. Or don't. Our hope is that some of their more vibrant userbase will help us to revitalize utopia when they find that they enjoy the more long-term strategic approach. Our goal is not to push people from utopia to generals; frankly, the nature of generals is that it's playerbase will be more temporary, but it has a significantly larger userbase. This isn't utopia kingdoms, we haven't built a pay to win game that we want to push you into instead of utopia. Our hope is for both communities -- that already exist and don't need to be built -- to be enriched by the interaction.
    I'm just happy I've kept this avatar all these years. Still relevant.

  12. #27
    Forum Fanatic octobrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    us
    Posts
    2,478
    Omg buy this one next please! http://torturegames.net/play-11-the-torture-game-2.html

    I think there is probably a lot of commonality between the two player bases and I for one could see myself paying to put other players faces on there between ticks.

  13. #28
    Postaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    850
    How much to buy ******? we need to go full Bill Gates on this

    Edit: lol didn't know that *other* game was off limits. All the more reason to absorb it

  14. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    753
    Wanted to check if game is dying and that my retire decision after couple of ftustrating ages was justified. Came across this thread ... not disapointed. Saw the changes for the age ... hell no! I ain't coming back!

  15. #30
    Post Fiend
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by coss View Post
    Wanted to check if game is dying and that my retire decision after couple of ftustrating ages was justified. Came across this thread ... not disapointed. Saw the changes for the age ... hell no! I ain't coming back!
    nobody asked you to, and don't think anybody is missing you either.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •