Thread: ~ Beerfest: Age 75 Virtual Kingdom ~

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Needs to get out more
    Ask

I've been in several kingdoms that survey players for GMT then declare a wave time compromise based on how many are active during a particular tick. This in itself is a good idea, but it does nothing for the players where wave time is hazardous to employment, sound sleep and family obligations. To get around this some kingdoms only recruit for particular GMT(Greenwich Mean Time) which is a decent solution.

The problems we have dictating wave times is the wave window. I've had enemy kingdoms nearly go berserk because the kingdom I occupied couldn't muster the activity to satisfy their opening wave. We now have instant declare, but that's not a strategic solution.

Our virtual kingdom is just a template, but the order of business is fundamental: we want the best from all our players, not a hurried low quality effort. So we strat before the age begins with certain priorities in mind, the highest priority being quality of play.

When players choose race and personality we also want a coherent examination of prime activity and intent based in role. Let's say we have a quality player who can't make the wave time of 15 others. We can begin to imagine the ideal camper and rover roles.

If you're not aware of a camper role it is the practice of striking at opportunity and turtling otherwise. Imagine dwarves and dark elves making ideal campers. They often seem lethargic. You'll note they're online a lot but seldom engage until the environment dictates a measure of leverage. Campers can be deceptively effective but require great awareness and province strat discipline.

Rovers are the dogged high activity players who by measure of quality would be wasted in the confinement of wave based operations. Avian aficionados, certain hybrids, tacs and devil may care t/ms fit this role. Best left to sorting out their own targets. These players might appear arrogant but let them work for you and by the end of the day you won't regret it.

The wave community are the largest populace in the game, but quality is no less imperative. I'm not one of them but there are plenty of players that truly enjoy a seamless unified effort. Their euphoria is obvious throughout the wave and their attention to expediency is charming. The secret here is to assure the fanatic neat freaks stay in their wheelhouse. What wheelhouse? They should be concerned with the wave and leave the campers and rovers to attend their special roles.

There are certain personalities I've observed with particular skills the kingdom will find desirable:

The Monarch - Expectations for monarchy are often out of whack for their actual ideal purpose. Natural leadership qualities are a given, but they don't have to be the primary strategist unless that strategy is delegation. Cool heads prevail but even nut jobs can be fantastic monarchs. Let's just not expect miracles from people just like you and me.

The Steward - Another high variable, the most commonly effective stewards I've seen are the wave managers and spread sheet faithful. The reason this power with these skills is desirable is because they can act within the scope of their activity. Again these are just guidelines but it's what I've seen from the best. Oftentimes you'll find the fanatics gunning for steward. They're a bit too extreme for monarchy, but wonderful under duress.

Snatch News Cipher - Rare as hens teeth, I've never had the pleasure to be in kingdom with a good cipher but have faced them in war. This, either talent or skill, is one of the greatest efficiency assets a kingdom can recruit. You really don't know till you see their work, but it's wise to take what they say very seriously. A good SN cipher can shorten wars and keep the kingdom out of trouble. Their skill lends greater yield from operations, sabotage and target selection. Top kingdoms with old lineage, a very very few top warring kingdoms and incredibly rare casual kingdoms are places I've witnessed cipher work.

Note: One practice I've encouraged is the idea of every province in the kingdom choosing one kingdom to snatch news from throughout the age. The hope is to develop an interest in intel deciphering.

Random Ace - These cocky players are fairly important for the prelude to war and leverage mechanics. Many players are just bad opportunists and waste meter for negligible gain. The Random Ace is the clean killer who knows who to hit and when. Top kingdoms love these guys so they can be difficult to find in the trailer parks of Utopia central. Like Snatch News Ciphers the Random Ace is part knack part skill.

Sizzle Snake The Diplomat - "Salesmen. Why'd have to be salesmen?" ~ Indiana Jones ~

You can tell the guys who love and excel at diplomacy by the number of players that hate them but keep coming back to deal with them. These are the last people I want to talk to, but it's not out of anything but admiration. Admiration for stomach turning crap. I've known a number of salesmen and met a few saleswomen and it's always an eye rolling experience. That said, a dealer in snake oil is an invaluable member of a complete kingdom. Always look for the best because diplo is an above the game skill that very few master.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 15-02-2018 at 15:45.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Thread Information