One of those suggestions where people will say "if you don't want to play utopia, then don't" but here goes:

I suggest creating AI provinces specifically designed to teach players how to war but also to facilitate the warring itself.

Model the AI after the great morbo. Have the AI create forum posts outlining it's plans for world (server) domination. If the kingdom votes for and elects the AI it should begin managing the kingdom, if not it should defect out and continue it's mission. Number of AI provinces within the game should be determined based on perceived need (how many kingdoms seem to do nothing), but I could see a utopia where all kingdoms choose to have an AI king. So I'm not talking about automating anything for the player this time, just *everything* the king normally has to do ;D

Have the AI able to model warring plans based on it's own KD composition and it's target KD's. Doesn't have to be Deep Blue but shouldn't be one-dimensional. Maybe allow the kingdom (or a 'council') to take moderate amounts of control over the AI if they wish, either through .munk commands or an in-game interface.

But why?

Obvs being a monarch is a rewarding experience, but it takes a lot of investment as well. It seems to me there are simply not enough people around willing to make that investment. What happens when a potential utopia player joins the game and can't find a team to play for? Right now they might get lucky and get recruited by a mentor, but other than that it's a vast wasteland of 'casual' kingdoms where the play can get boring and a new player might think "well this was a boring game" and quit.