Thread: Limit province names to 15 characters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Limit province names to 15 characters

Limit province names to 15 characters.

See the long names here: https://pastebin.com/S0ZQfD9M

Why? Because it is annoying to type other provinces names in RC. Copy & paste? That's annoying too (on mobile especially).

A name should be unique, short, and distinctive. Like real world names. No one's got the time to spell your full name, or find the "unique" shortest sequence of characters to represent you.

Why does Utopia have to be so verbose? If people want to be creative in their names, there's plenty of room in 15 chars to do it (68% can, the rest are themed mostly). Most twitter handles are shorter than this.
    Limit it, and people will still find ways to be creative. Make it large, and (some) people will use it up. A goldfish grows to the size of its bowl.

Flame away.

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
    A name should be unique, short, and distinctive. Like real world names.
    real world names are insanely long...just look at like the UK, offically; The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Enthusiast
    I play only from mobile and I've never had an issue. I'm sure an intelligent person can find a way to show who they mean when giving targets without typing out the entire name.

Formal names can be long, but in practice we stick to shorter names. How many web forms use the full name of UK rather than just United Kingdom?

I understand that one can find a shorter abbreviation of any name, but I don't like any ambiguity in my RC. I want people to see a target, and execute immediately without checking for variations.contractions etc.
    At the same time I don't want target names to take up so much space in my RC.

Besides 68% of the server have 15 char names, most of the ones above are using themed names (e.g., Djinn of X); this is something that can already be done.

Don't stifle my creativity

Veteran
    I think we should have more characters in the RC.

Then we can have even longer names!

puzzling the RC together with limited characters is part of the fun too :P

Thread Information