Thread: New Attack type "Prospect"

Post Fiend

New Attack type "Prospect"

With the continued reduction in player base opportunities for viable plunder targets have shrank substantially. Pumping out side of post war CF is nearly impossible for mid level kingdoms, an honestly sitting for weeks doing very little scouring the server for some reasonable plunder just is not enjoyable anyway. I am not advocating for the gold free for all that currently exists in Genesis, but their needs to be a more consistent way to supplement the income that used to be available via plunder.

I would propose an untargeted attack type, where you have to send a certain portion of your total offense out, for a similar length of time as a plunder would encounter. Troop losses should track closely with a plunder +/- some random factor. In return you could immediately loot an amount of gold that should exceed your troop losses by some amount with a random additional bonus where occasionally you get a much larger return... also occasionally return no gold, or a reduced amount.

I am sure some people smarter than I can assist with appropriate balancing number to make the idea viable... just hoping the idea has merit since there is a reasonably large economy hole right now out of war that really makes the game far less fun than it should be. Playing around in genesis really drives this home when you can consistently grow, and actually have the ability to sustain troop losses from being active.
    Now I want to ask. Is there anything that the administration can do to stop the hits of "Cakey Cakey"? Since as I understand, it's unfair to attack into someone's war?
    - Some Nub

Post Fiend
    I do agree this is a problem, however I do not agree with your proposed solution. The game does get boring scouring for plunder targets, and it is tough to pump outside of eowcf. Those are definitely true, and they definitely make the game boring in some ways. It also very much encourages the use of 3rd party software (debatable if this is good or bad). In the very least, I certainly attack less out of war because of troop loses and lack of substantial gcs around to retrain them, which I believe is your major concern here.

I would propose a better solution would be to adjust economies and/or troop/building costs in some way to find a better balance. I think plundering gcs essentially out of thin air takes away from the point of the game.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by luke3 View Post
    I would propose a better solution would be to adjust economies and/or troop/building costs in some way to find a better balance. I think plundering gcs essentially out of thin air takes away from the point of the game.
    Dont completely disagree with you. Adjusting costs is an option...

This just provides a solution that is more "exciting" than just fixing troop costs. The randomness of the gains is the fun part.

Also if there is an issue with making Gold out of thin air, then we should not have Tree of Gold as a spell.
    Now I want to ask. Is there anything that the administration can do to stop the hits of "Cakey Cakey"? Since as I understand, it's unfair to attack into someone's war?
    - Some Nub

Post Fiend
    A fundamental aspect of utopia is that it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Your actions impact others and vice versa.

This is a suggestion to implement the game mechanic equivalent of masturbation.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolzly View Post
    A fundamental aspect of utopia is that it doesn't exist in a vacuum. Your actions impact others and vice versa.

This is a suggestion to implement the game mechanic equivalent of masturbation.

Explore pool acres... exist in vacuum.
    Income in general ... exists in vacuum.
    Tree of Gold... exists in a vacuum.

Nearly all the resource generation happens without deference to other kingdoms... the only ones that do no are Plunders, and Rob the Vaults. So please tell me how a military equivalent to ToG is the equivalent of masturbation?

The point is it has to have a COST, ToG has Mana and Rune cost, thus a Mage is unable to cast other things, Thievery has a stealth cost - again unable to do other things. Plunder has a Time and Troop Loss cost so an attacker is unable to do other things. The issue is of the three, attackers are the specialization unable to utilize the income mechanism. A Bocan rogue can target smaller gold piles because of how thievery works, Mages can cast ToG repeatedly and the income can be worth the runes. Attackers only get 1 (or in theory 4) shots so the target has to have far more gold than a Rogue would need to target. Accordingly unless you are using Munk or equivalent to jump provs out of war, there are just few gold piles large enough to maintain a pumped attacker, especially considering you need to factor in the likely retal for the plunder so the gain needs to offset both the intial losses and a potential retal to really be worth while.

I probably provided more response than your comment warranted, but I would prefer to see something done rather than nothing.. We can keep tweaking racial elite values and bonuses but that is not improving on the game play. Genesis has highlighted that quite well I believe. It is far more fun to play there where there is arguably too much gold floating around...
    - Some Nub

Post Fiend
    Explore Pool -> has been fixed to be per province, you will run out of acres if you choose to play uto in a vacuum
    Income in general -> is susceptible to a myriad of outside interference
    Tree of Gold -> has been nerfed repeatedly, the merchant persona was removed entirely

There is already too much gold floating around in regular utopia. Maybe you are in one of those kingdoms that chooses to never war? So you've never been in an eowcf and so have never seen that?

I probably provided exactly as much of a response as your comment warranted. Score one for civilized discussion.

Thread Information