Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's arm our teachers

Let's arm our teachers

sucks to be french...
    “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
    - unknown

Enthusiast
    Why can't teachers carry guns if properly trained? For instance my cousin is a reserve deputy for the police department and a history teacher, but he has to leave his firearm at home due to a gun free zone. Seems silly really because everyone knows only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearted View Post
    Why can't teachers carry guns if properly trained?
    Among the long list of very obvious issues of arming teachers, I'd say my favorite point to illustrate is that the police are properly trained and they tend to shoot innocent people on a pretty consistant basis. I don't think news stories going along the lines of "A girl was shot dead at Jefferson High school today. Witnesses say the teacher was unprovoked. The school is investigating the incident" makes schools a better, safer place.

Seems silly really because everyone knows only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
    This is also untrue.
    Last edited by Palem; 11-03-2018 at 04:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Among the long list of very obvious issues of arming teachers,
    Tread lightly there pamela...I have a feeling this LONG LIST is not as long as you portray it to be. There is a school district in Colorado that their teachers are allowed to carry guns. But in doing so they must attend a 3 day tactical course on proper use of the weapons and how to defuse the situation. This is a subject that will most definitely piss off the libs and democrats. #TrumpMakesAmericaGreatAgain
    - unknown

Enthusiast
    Among the long list of very obvious issues of arming teachers, I'd say my favorite point to illustrate is that the police are properly trained and they tend to shoot innocent people on a pretty consistant basis. I don't think news stories going along the lines of "A girl was shot dead at Jefferson High school today. Witnesses say the teacher was unprovoked. The school is investigating the incident" makes schools a better, safer place.

This is also untrue.
    One cops do not shoot innocent people on the regular. That's just completely false narrative put out by the media. Second teachers would be armed to stop mass shootings, not enforce laws like police are charged to do. Police do a extremely hard job with little to no pay, then we ask them to police war zones like Chicago, Baltimore and Oakland. Honestly anyone brave enough just to put on the badge in cities like that have my respect. Sure there are a few bad apple cops that commit crimes but most police shootings come down to was it justified or not. Basically the individuals broke a law or laws then the police officer shot them for whatever reason and it's investigated. Teachers wouldn't be charged with enforcing laws and instructed to only use a gun in life or death situations. Just the knowledge of guns being in schools will stop most of these mass shootings. Because the people doing these shootings are cowards, hence why they always pick gun free zones. Also media is showing their extreme biased by the way, shootings happen all the time in Chicago but no one ever reports it. :(

One cops do not shoot innocent people on the regular. That's just completely false narrative put out by the media. Second teachers would be armed to stop mass shootings, not enforce laws like police are charged to do. Police do a extremely hard job with little to no pay, then we ask them to police war zones like Chicago, Baltimore and Oakland. Honestly anyone brave enough just to put on the badge in cities like that have my respect. Sure there are a few bad apple cops that commit crimes but most police shootings come down to was it justified or not. Basically the individuals broke a law or laws then the police officer shot them for whatever reason and it's investigated. Teachers wouldn't be charged with enforcing laws and instructed to only use a gun in life or death situations. Just the knowledge of guns being in schools will stop most of these mass shootings. Because the people doing these shootings are cowards, hence why they always pick gun free zones. Also media is showing their extreme biased by the way, shootings happen all the time in Chicago but no one ever reports it. :(
    The solutions isnt more guns, the solution is stricter gun laws.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Off the top of my head:
    -teachers shooting students will be a problem

-who is paying for these guns and training? Teachers make practically nothing and most school districts are already cutting basic stuff to get by

-a teacher's responsibility is to protect their students. That means either locking their classroom down or getting their students evacuated. You can't do either of these things running down the hallway trying be Mr cowboy and trying to shoot a shooter.

-A lot of schools already have armed security. Clearly the threat of other armed people do not stop school shootings.

-Along with this, afaik, most school shooters go into the shooting prepared to either die or kill themselves. So again, having more armed people does nothing to deter these people.

-School shootings tend to last a matter of minutes. 17 people were killed in 6 minutes in Florida. At best having armed teachers would have cut down the shooting time and saved a few more lives. It wouldn't have stopped the actual attack.

-teachers are now forced to be primary targets for shooters. They can't risk having a teacher shoot them and as a bonus, if they kill a teacher that had a gun, they get another gun to shoot even more people with

-A lot of people say that "gun free zones" are easy targets, but I'll remind people that places like capital hill and the white house are gun free zones and I can't remember any instance of innocent people getting gunned down there. It's amazing what happens when you actually have security.

-In order for the teacher's gun to be of any use at all in a school shooting, it will need to be easily accessible, which means it is easily accessible to students as well, which is potentially creating even more school shootings as the access to firearms now becomes a given.

-You're teaching kids that guns=power and authority, and this is supposed to help curb school shootings how exactly?

-There are plenty of examples of unarmed people stopping armed threats.

I can start actually looking up more/better arguments if this list isn't long enough, but my most important point is that arming teachers isn't an answer to the question "How do we stop school shootings?" It is an answer to the question "How do we kill a school shooters faster?"
    Last edited by Palem; 11-03-2018 at 15:59.

Pretty much, Korp.

Some teachers may be capable, and worthy of such a task. In my experience, though, teachers can be overtaken by individual students, despite age and sometimes size disparity. What happens in a scenario where a teacher loses their gun? If someone's already been denied a weapon, now you could be providing them with one, I guess. The idea feels good in some aspects, but I think it also has a lot of pitfalls.

I assume they would have to strap, because eventually, if kept in a safe somewhere, a teacher or student will get shot while punching in the code or whatever, and that won't be acceptable either.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I can't take you seriously when you complain about media bias and then refer to major US cities as "war zones".

I can't take you seriously when you complain about media bias and then refer to major US cities as "war zones".

If those arent warzones then what are they?
    - unknown

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums

You're right though, totally the same thing

Edit: sorry that's so small lol
    Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu...rian_Civil_War

Quote Originally Posted by umajon911 View Post

If those arent warzones then what are they?
    Just in Feburary there was in around 900 civlians killed in Ghouta (Thats a real warzone)

Enthusiast
    Gun control in the USA doesn't work, I think places like Chicago and all of California prove this. We have the 2nd admenment which isn't going any place. So you have to be realistic on what steps can be taken. I think everyone can get behind the 21 years of age limit. Same token if your not adult enough to own a gun, you shouldn't be adult enough to vote, to borrow money or buy cigarettes or weed or be tried as a adult. List goes on and on but I think starting with a age limit is a good step.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    There are plenty of 40 year olds that aren't mature enough to vote. Liberal Tears and Fighting the Patriarchy are not legitimate voting points. Legal adults have every right and should be encouraged to vote.

I don't think anything will get done because no one is interested in actually talking about the problem and more kids are gonna get slaughtered at the one place they're legal required to go to, in the only country where this is a major problem (and no, this isn't me demanding everyone turn their guns in)

Thread Information