Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's arm our teachers

Enthusiast
    It will definitely be a interesting legal fight, can you take away a adults 2nd admenment rights without cause? My guess they will have to declare a new adult legal age to be 21. But again one side wants to take all guns and the other side knows it so they won't budge a inch. So hence nothing will ever get done, so you might as well give properly trained teachers guns.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    No one is trying to take away anyone's second amendment. There are already limitations in place regarding what citizens can and can't purchase. It's not like people can just go to their local gun vendor and buy a surface to air missle, tank, rpg, machine gun, etc

Quote Originally Posted by umajon911 View Post
    sucks to be french...
    I thought the exact same thing! I've seen one like this before but it didn't have French on it. I like this one better lol
    A guide to SW's posts

Regular text = SW as a player
    Bold = SW as a mod (used for mod requests, warnings, etc.)
    Green = Someone messed up the regular and bold text and had to get edited/warned/banned.

Sadly, just because you have armed people nearby is no guarantee they'll intervene
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/22/u...ing/index.html

As a future teacher (but mostly as a decent, rational human being), teachers do not need to and SHOULD NOT be permitted to carry weapons in the classroom. Palem's list pretty much sums up why, but let me tack on a few things:

- Taking a human life takes a SIGNIFICANT psychological toll on a person; ask any veteran. Why do you think soldiers are sent to camps to become desensitized and removed from the very act of killing someone?

- Take the above point, except with children. You're asking for teachers, who are meant to educate and nurture our youth, to prepare themselves to potentially end the life of child that they've been charged to protect.

- Police shoot unarmed civilians all the time, specifically black civilians; this is NOT a media narrative. See Stephon Clark. See Philando Castile. Look at the scandal involving the Gun Trace Task Force in Baltimore where they were literally robbing dealers and planting guns/evidence to cover up after themselves.

- Police kill innocent civilians with relative impunity; will it be the same with teachers? Forget the costs associated with liability insurance and the inevitable psych evaluations; will we hold teachers accountable for killing an innocent student?

In all seriousness, f*** this sensationalist rhetoric spouted by gun-obsessed cowboys and the NRA. We can't even pay teachers a livable wage or pay for their classroom supplies, yet we're ok with paying to arm them. Miss me with that BS.

Got to arm the childrens! They're the only ones with the specific knowledge of their classmates to be able to make these life and death decisions. Teachers are just too far removed. We need more armed people to defend against the domestic terrorist police forces anyway.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Post Demon
    The problem is the easy access of guns, the moment you force potential would be school shotters to go to a gang member/ drug dealer type to get a gun not only does they risk getting caugth, you also give them time to rethink what they are doing, since I doubt it would be easy and fast for a kid to do this, they might get scared or have the time to calm down and think rationally.

In a fit of rage people might grab for the nearest weapon, and they are more dangerous if it is a gun than say if it is a knife or a broken bottle of booze.

Of course if you still think gun ownership is everyones right then you should probably start to rethink the way you make them avalible, as well as how you portray gun usage in fiction and elsewhere, I can hardly watch an American action movie without worrying about the numbers of "Bad guys" shot down in cold blood by so called "Good guys" such vigilante behavior makes it more acceptable to kids to use guns if they think themself the "Good guys" and all their teachers and co-students as the "Bad guys"

Enthusiast
    America is a shining light that keeps peace in the world. We saved Europe twice, keep evil nations in check and keep ourselves free thanks to the 2nd admenment. With out us gun touting Americans you would be speaking German, Russian or Japanese. Freedom isn't free and takes sacrifice sadly. I owned a rifle when I was a kid then served in the military it is no big deal. Society is the problem now, guns haven't changed but people have. Let's dig into mental health, family structure, medications. Ect. The real issues that cause these terrible acts. It's every Americans job is to defend themselves and their communities. Teachers being armed would be voluntary and they would receive the proper training.
    Last edited by Coldhearted; 31-03-2018 at 21:57.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Lol wut?

That's some next level thoughtless nationalism right there

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Lol wut?

That's some next level thoughtless nationalism right there
    Nothing wrong with being proud of your country. :)

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    There is definitely nothing wrong with loving your country. There's a little something wrong referring to America as a "shining light that keeps peace in the world" and suggesting that the 2nd amendment has ever helped "keep us free". There's nothing wrong for admiring a thing for what it is, but there's a dangerous threshold where you begin to inflate that admiration beyond reality.

For example, I love me some Taylor Swift and there's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with boasting about how she's an accomplished musician or her charitable endeavors or her fan outreach. However it's not ok to boast about how she's literally the perfect human being, or that she's never done anything wrong, or that anyone who is critical of her is an evil bastard that the world would be better without.

Tldr: Admiration is a good thing. Fanaticism is not.

Post Demon
    I find it hard to make a connection there between the discussion about wether or not arming teachers is a good thing and your point of view about your home country.

Facts is that no other nation has as many guns owned by civilians, and no other country has this massive problems with school shootings, even countries with relatively many gun owners have not seen more than maybe one or two such shootings so it got to have something to do with both the fact there is such an easy access to guns, and the way the school system works in USA. The US have several shootings a year and probably more than the rest of the world combined.

If you want to discuss world wars or the war against terror that is a total diffrent discussion and I do not buy that it has anything to do with school shootings or arming teachers.

Veteran
    I am a teacher, and have been for 6 years. The usual arguments never work during this topic, so I'll offer anecdotal 'argument' or whatever you want to call it.

I will never carry a gun in any school I teach in and I will never work in a school that brings guns into it. I will quit before I do that:

- An aggressive student would eventually grab it, or try to wrestle it away. Many students even at good schools are very aggressive with teachers.
    - It would make everyone scared. Students would focus on it constantly; it would freak them out. It would be this elephant in the room. They already can't concentrate on anything; they don't need a gun in the room with them.
    - It would freak me out #1: a gun is kill people. Why in God's name should I carry a death-machine round with me at work? And spare me the 'guns don't kill people, people do' or 'you could kill someone with a spoon if you really tried!' nonsense because the sole purpose of a gun is to cause death.
    - It would freak me out #2: I would be forever panicked about the safety of everyone. Is the safety on? Is it correctly holstered? What if I bump it? What if I drop it? What if someone grabs it? Oh crap what if I accidentally leave it on my desk? It would be a constant fear, and would add a load of mental stress.
    - It would freak me out #3: because I am often utterly incompetent. There are times when I am a babbling mess at work, when nothing gets done and I **** up thing after thing after thing, students just **** with me all day etc - some days you just have shockers. I can't focus on a gun all the time. It would get lost or stolen eventually. All it takes is one 'whoops, forgot it!' and it's gone.
    - It would freak me out #4: because tons of teachers are absolutely incompetent at life. Tons of teachers scream insults at kids when they rage - statistically, SOME of them would pull their gun out and shoot dead a cheeky students. Statistically it just would happen, and tbh I bet it would happen a decent amount. Students are really, really good at making you want to smash your head against a wall without over and over. At my school there are about 150 teachers. So now my school has 150 weapons. Half of them are incompetent. Half of them will forget sometimes. Some will accidentally fire their weapon. Some will be playing with it, thinking they're a badass, and it'll go off. Many will be too terrified to confront a shooter.

I do not understand how people can be so passionate about guns when there is so much evidence for almost every metric measurable to show that guns make things more dangerous, not less.
    Josh; leader of a lovable band of misfits, Pinoys, and probable virgins.

My Raging Clue

*If a Utopian falls in the woods, and no-one is around to see him...was he still bottom-feeding?

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    The solutions isnt more guns, the solution is stricter gun laws.

BWAHAHAHAHA Yes, because criminals care about the laws. The 31 states that have “shall issue” laws allowing private citizens to carry concealed weapons have, on average, a 24 percent lower violent crime rate, a 19 percent lower murder rate and a 39 percent lower robbery rate than states that forbid concealed weapons. In fact, the nine states with the lowest violent crime rates are all right-to-carry states. Remarkably, guns are used for self-defense more than 2 million times a year, three to five times the estimated number of violent crimes committed with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilmington View Post
    BWAHAHAHAHA Yes, because criminals care about the laws. The 31 states that have “shall issue” laws allowing private citizens to carry concealed weapons have, on average, a 24 percent lower violent crime rate, a 19 percent lower murder rate and a 39 percent lower robbery rate than states that forbid concealed weapons. In fact, the nine states with the lowest violent crime rates are all right-to-carry states. Remarkably, guns are used for self-defense more than 2 million times a year, three to five times the estimated number of violent crimes committed with guns.
    Remarkably countries that have stricter gun laws has no mass shootings. Your issue is that you compare **** with ****. But go ahead keep believing that guns is a solution. It have worked well so far.

Thread Information