Thread: Ambush bug

Post Fiend

Ambush bug

ID:79B52C66

February 23 of YR6 HERO (#:#) captured 46 acres of land from OTHER villian guy (#:#).
    February 23 of YR6 HERO (#:#) captured 130 acres of land from VILLAIN (#:#).
    February 23 of YR6 HERO (#:#) captured 104 acres of land from VILLAIN (#:#).
    February 23 of YR6 HERO (#:#) captured 84 acres of land from VILLAIN (#:#)).

March 3 of YR6 VILLAIN (#:#) attempted to invade HERO (#:#).
    March 3 of YR6 VILLAIN (#:#) ambushed armies from HERO (#:#) and took 52 acres of land.
    March 3 of YR6 VILLAIN (#:#) ambushed armies from HERO (#:#) and took 65 acres of land.
    March 3 of YR6 VILLAIN (#:#) invaded OTHER heroic guy (#:#) and captured 68 acres of land.

Villain fails an ambush, then gets to retake land from the two larger Traditional Marches. This is a flaw in game play.

In this instance, Villain didn't have enough offence to trad 'Other heroic guy' and ambush my three attacks. I purposely sent a ton of extra offence on my last (84 acre) grab. So purposefully bounces the first ambush with almost no offence, then gets to retake land from the larger grabs.

Ambush has to be successful in order to progress to the next ambush, otherwise, this is highly exploitable.

forces him to burn a general, seems a fair trade to me.

Post Fiend
    he got an extra 23 acres for burning a 5% modifier that wasn't doing any good for him. not really a fair trade.

(pretty sure, it use to be as I said, ambush must succeed to proceed)

I don't recall it being that way.

In this scenario it did work out to their advantage to use a general in this way, it doesn't always. I guess in future you can stack up units on a larger amount of acres... I don't really see a need for this 'option' to be removed.

Regular
    I don't think this is a bug- That's how I understand Ambush to work.

You can't ambush if the person who hit you used Anon or War Spoils and you can't ambush the same hit twice. It's logical therefore that if you fail an Ambush, your next attempt to ambush is against the next available army. I don't think "succeed to proceed" was ever applicable I'm afraid.
    Ghetto Nightmare

Age 96 - Chaise Longue/Lighthouse Fire | Age 95 - Telephone The Real Ham Jackson | Age 94 - Final Girl | Age 93 - Superdrug | Age 92 - No Gods No Masters | Age 91 - Hunting The Wren | Age 90 - I Useta Lover | Age 89 - The Young People | Age 88 - Suspended in Gaffa | Age 87 - Aversadze | Age 85-86 - [Making A Baby] | Age 84 - Gay Girls | Age 83 - Avant Gardener | Age 82 - Girls Talk | Age 81 - Aversadze | Age 80 - Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking | Age 79 - Stella Was A Diver And She Was Always Down | Age 78 - The Lightning Strike | Age 77 - So Like A Rose | Age 76 - Aversadze/Kemosabe | Age 75 - Not Your Kind Of People/Good Shot, Good Soldier | Age 74 - Godspell | Age 73 - Time Will Destroy Everything/Versions of Hate | Age 72 - Another New World | Age 71 - Cold Old Fire | Age 70 - Battlestations | Age 69 - Tilted | Age 68 - Spite & Malice | Age 67 - I, The Hand Grenade | Age 66 - The Mother We Share | Age 65 - Pretty Keen On Centrefolds | Age 64 - Wangernumb | Age 63 - Aversadze | Age 62 - Aversadze | Age 60 - Lynx | Age 59 - Astral | Age 58 - That's How You Get Ants | Age 57 - Aversadze

Regular
    Has always been this way, feel free to do the same to anyone hitting you...

Veteran
    I'm 99% sure there is a thread on this somewhere where Bishop has commented to say it is unintended and people doing it are exploiting a bug.

It certainly isn't new anyway.

Personally I think it should either be 'fixed' or it should be open to use generals like this if they wish.

Veteran
    Actually I had a vague memory that might be thinking of something else so I revise my 99 to 50 ;)

Was there a thing with the opposite ie sending 1 gen/sold after a trad march for some purpose? If so that's probably what I was thinking of..

Administrator
    If 'succeed to proceed' is implemented, what happens if you legitimately fail your first try due to a math error? The other possible ambushes available to you are now impossible?

Is that fair? or punishment for failure?

On the same token, if you knew you were going to have spare offense to send on your last hit, why not send extra offense on all the hits to make each of them difficult to ambush? Or, sending more offense on your first (largest) grab to protect those acres? I always recall sending specs on my first hit(s) to increase the ambush defense just for that purpose.

I feel it works both ways, you were also trying to exploit the mechanic of the game that ambushes happen in a certain order and filling that first ambushable hit with extra defense.
    Please e-mail Utopia Support for any in-game related issues at UtopiaSupport@Utopia-Game.com

Account Deleted or Inactive? Click here!

Utopia Facebook Page <== Like us on Facebook and join the conversation!
    Follow us on Twitter @UtopiaClassic

Come join the MUGA Community on Discord: https://discord.gg/NZ4KywF

Veteran
    Re your first point, presumably if we changed it we would just code it so that if you fail on an ambush, your next ambush is on that same attack again (rather than preventing you from making any more ambushes on the target)?

Forum Fanatic
    Ambush if fine how it works. Please dont tinker with something that doesnt need changing. There are other things on the need to fix list in sure.

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Post Fiend
    Burning a general with no gain can be a pretty big cost. You only have 4 of them that can hit out. This is especially true in war, when as a chained province, every acre counts. I think it is fair as it is.

Post Fiend
    yeah, the 1gen/sold after a TM has been a tactic to force them to burn an extra general when you don't have enough effective offence to be productive.

and DavidC... if by exploit you mean take full advantage yes. If you mean exploit in a negative way, then no.

Post Fiend
    This isn't a bug. This is as intended, and has always been a thing. It's well known, and utilized in strategy for both offense and defense. Generals are highly valuable; they aren't just modifiers...that one hit meant one less hit on somebody else on your kingdom.

If that's a bug, then casting storms on somebody to burn Mystic Aura is a bug.

You may not like it, but it's a mechanic. If you want it to change....post it in suggestions where it belongs, so we can all burn the suggestion down into oblivion since you're probably the only person around that has an issue with this.

Thread Information