Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boost Abduct in War

Min 1 scientist per abduct would make people quit?

Shut it down now then.
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheister View Post
    No, I grew to become UB from the sheer fact that they are dragging the war. Doing things to strip out their provinces will make them end the obviously unwinnable war.
    If you had no purpose for becoming UB, perhaps it would have been better to plan your strategy differently so you didn't become so comparatively big. Then you wouldn't need to be asking for mechanics changes to make it easier for you to win a war.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris121 View Post
    If you had no purpose for becoming UB, perhaps it would have been better to plan your strategy differently so you didn't become so comparatively big. Then you wouldn't need to be asking for mechanics changes to make it easier for you to win a war.
    Read what you wrote.

You are clearly ridiculous.
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Post Fiend
    You aren't listening to anyone, from your point of view, only you are right, and everyone that disagrees with you is wrong. If you really hate this game so much, just quit, don't force mechanic changes that makes everyone else want to quit too. That, or chill. Change is a natural part of life, good or bad, it'll happen.

I can see the interest in having more viable attack types in war, it does have reduced kills nowadays, perhaps that could be enhanced further for war purposes, something along these lines. I would tend to agree that 0 seems a bit harsh.

some ppl are really annoyed when they dont get gains from abducts directly OOP, didnt bother me before they buffed the gains a bit- i had no problem waiting a couple days for it to be viable to get at least one at the start of the age. Now i think its quite easy to get 1 off someone OOP, so long as they aren't sage or started with some sort of sweet uni build... what im getting at is that those ppl would also be happy if, for example a hard minimum of 1 scientist on abducts (so long as target has >0) were implemented.

im sure a lot of people would think that such a mech could result in bottom feeding or something of this nature... i dunno.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySports View Post
    You aren't listening to anyone, from your point of view, only you are right, and everyone that disagrees with you is wrong. If you really hate this game so much, just quit, don't force mechanic changes that makes everyone else want to quit too. That, or chill. Change is a natural part of life, good or bad, it'll happen.
    Being stubborn is not a crime. If he thinks he is right he is justified in sticking by his position. Maybe he's being a bit mean. Just a bit though.

We (in favour of more abducts in war) are merely in favour of more gameplay variety, more ways to win wars, more ways to outplay your opponent rather than being "forced" to only war opponents you have a clear advantage against (aren't you tired of complaints related to this?).

Prove us wrong somehow, don't just say that we argue too aggressively and therefore our points are bad.

Utopia, when it is at its best, is a mean game. To have something you work two or more weeks to pump and prep and make as good as can be come crashing down within 10 minutes or less upon war declare is mean. It hurts. It sucks. It makes you grouchy.

But then when you overcome that and grow back it makes it so much sweeter.

I remember when I was so livid when my little war ghetto I was leading was being fed on by BiO after they were the defending crown kingdom and how unfair it was and boo hoo hoo. I got the CF, I railed and guilted and cajoled and was a damned nuisance until I got it. Then I made a vow we would come back for them. We sought out good strong targets to grow on. We worked and worked until the time was right and then we waved on them and it dragged into an epic 6 week long war which we won! That war was the most rewarding revenge I have ever had in this game. It was so awesome!

THAT is what makes this game good.

Not coddling people because it is just so hard to recover after a chain. Not making it easier. It is provide incentive for people to know when they are beaten to give up, and encouraging them to seek other pathways for revenge. This is a game that at its best is steeped in the cruelty of seeing everything you cherish about your province reduced to ashes, only to rise again because you are determined to win!

Not whatever it has become now...

So now, I don't think you are right. I don't think we need a kinder utopia. I don't think losing min 1 scientist on an abduct is cruel. I don't think that making consequences in this game less harsh makes it better.

I think it feeds into the spineless chicken-shhh stuff that has seen the player base dwindle away to this shell that it is now.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolzly View Post

We (in favour of more abducts in war) are merely in favour of more gameplay variety, more ways to win wars, more ways to outplay your opponent rather than being "forced" to only war opponents you have a clear advantage against (aren't you tired of complaints related to this?).

Prove us wrong somehow, don't just say that we argue too aggressively and therefore our points are bad.
    More game play variety is fine as a goal, but as far as I've seen, noone has explained why you need a min abduct of 1 to be able to have variety or why feel that there is no variety now.

From my view, min 1 per abduct plays towards the current favoured strategy of chaining people down to land def, so far from adding variety it is just making the current strategy more attractive.

Sheister seems to think that by not having a min of 1 we are making the game easy. But to me it's the opposite - he is asking to make it easier to persuade a KD to WD. There are already ways to do that with a more diverse approach.

More game play variety is fine as a goal, but as far as I've seen, noone has explained why you need a min abduct of 1 to be able to have variety or why feel that there is no variety now.

From my view, min 1 per abduct plays towards the current favoured strategy of chaining people down to land def, so far from adding variety it is just making the current strategy more attractive.

Sheister seems to think that by not having a min of 1 we are making the game easy. But to me it's the opposite - he is asking to make it easier to persuade a KD to WD. There are already ways to do that with a more diverse approach.
    Good point.
    #magi

Quote Originally Posted by Wolzly View Post
    It's not "douchey" it's a win condition.

Would you prefer the only thing to do when a province hits landdef is go for a PK?

If science could be lost in a war due to poor play
    You're really suggesting that it's poor play for someone to have the offense in their kd and then get chained/farmed as a result? The best attacker in all of Utopia will still get chained if they have anywhere near the highest offense in their kd. Poor play has nothing to do with whether or not a kd can chain someone and then farm them for science. The current science system is very unforgiving for losing scientists, so allowing a province to lose science in war is a terrible idea. I understand you want a win condition, but this is not the answer.
    I was just like you. My parents died. I have to be strong for Serah, so I thought I needed to forget my past. And I became Lightning. I thought by changing my name, I could change who I was. I was just a kid. Lightning. It flashes bright, then fades away. It can't protect. It only destroys.

I think the main argument is that sometimes KDs don't know when they are beat, or refuse to give up 'just because'... The 50% NW thing is fine, but 7 days minimum could be a bit of a slog in some situations. If there were at least some gains involved in the hits, it could make it a good way of helping people understand that it is time to pack it up. If a KD can afford to even be trying such a hit on your KD, I am thinking the situation must be dire.

This could even allow these shelled provinces to start to take on more acres during end phase war, since KDs wouldn't be forced to continue taking land when they feel they need to get 'something' in return for making a hit, in a war they have already won. So now they don't have to start their WD-CF period at 400 acres while rest of KD is over 1k.

I don't see how making it easier to persuade a KD to WD is an issue. Its a judgement call, if you get it wrong running abducts could ruin you. Same for a KD on when to WD, its a judgement call whether to stay in and try to pull it out, risking putting yourself in a position to be abducted potentially, or to get out while the getting is good. If its before mintime and the other KD already feels they can afford to abduct, it must be bad and theyve earned it, whether it was in their attacks, or just in getting you to war them in the first place. Along with those situations where a KD wants to force mintime 'just because' ... well ok, but we are going to take a weeks worth of abducts from you, because we can.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
    If a KD can afford to even be trying such a hit on your KD, I am thinking the situation must be dire..
    I'm not sure that is true. Once you have people on land def (eg 18-24 hours into war?) wouldn't you just have t/ms abduct x3 or 4?

Several of the posts make it sound like it's hugely difficult to find a strategy that lets you make abducts on people smaller than you in war, but it's not.

Its not true at all, as soon as you have a province on land defense everyone can send leftovers on the land def target and get up to 2 to 3 scientists. I'm sure many will rage quit over this.

My kingdom will survive, however; so I am not worried about that.
    #magi

Post Fiend
    I don't think "1 min scientist per abduct" is the answer (even if it were "only in war" or something). Artificial hard-caps are bad imo.

I also don't think that nw-range or GBP should stop applying.

As for "You're really suggesting that it's poor play for someone to have the offense in their kd and then get chained/farmed as a result?"

No, that's inevitable - but it's poor play to allow yourself to hit landdef afterwards. It's not easy to maintain a usable amount of military after being chained, and rightfully so because it takes a lot of the enemy kingdom's damage potential to effectively chain someone. The enemy wants you to release some offense, but many don't because they know that there's not a whole lot of bad things that can happen as a result. The risk/reward of going to landdef has too few risks. You can shrug off the T/M 4x's and just keep fighting the war.

It's just risk/reward relating to landdef that I have issue with. I see the abduct attack as a potential avenue to find a fix for that risk/reward imbalance.

I think that land&nw-based gains have something to do with this as well.

If thats the case then both KDs could be scraping each others land def provs for sci, could they not? seems fair enough to me. The point, for me at least, would not be to work the odd abducts in like you are suggesting, although I suppose it makes sense. To me, it would seem to offer a means for the better KD to extract some extra war win bonus. Its not that difficult to come up with a strategy that would let you abduct smaller provinces in war, it is moreso to come up with one that lets you abduct people in proper range, though it can be done as well.

If its a hard floor of one, but still beholden to all the relative NW/land factors to get any further gains, I find it hard to believe this would be an issue. For real gains you would still need to hit in range, but if that is what we want to see then the kills modifier probably has to go, otherwise it has no use in war other than vs land def, or if the war is over before mintime.

Thread Information