Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When and how to use War Spoils?

When and how to use War Spoils?

Basically topic. I've seen some talk on the forums about how War Spoils is good or even OP, but my monarch has always told us that it's bad and we should almost never use it because if the land comes in immediately, it can just be taken again and when your army comes home, they won't be bringing land with them and you risk being overpopulated. Can anyone enlighten me on when and how I'm supposed to use this spell?

Strategy Moderator
    when you're unbrekable and/or there is zero risk of being chained while u have 0 incoming acres.

Outside of War it can be more useful as well, if you are growing, and you can make 'safe' hits that won't bring a retal it can let you get pop space/economy going 12-16h earlier than another attacker who grows without War Spoils.

Using it during War or in a Hostile wave that could lead to War is basically a death sentence, with the exception of what Persain noted above.

The only times you are at low risk of being chained with 0 incoming acres are;

-when you are unbreakable
    -when your prov is so pathetic no one will care to chain you
    -when your army can return before all of the enemy's, and hit out again, leaving land on your army this time, before anyone has a chance to hit you while you have 0 incoming
    -when you are OOW and target KD will not receive 'the button'

Post Demon
    Outside war is very good, use gb protection to your advantage.

For instance if you made an anon attack and risk getting attacked on your new acreage make another hit with warspoils right when your military get back and you now have even more acres, true you'll likely get hit, but then you will accumulate gb protection on a number of acres much higher than what you originally had.

Use anon when gb protection is high and you are not a good target and can't be ambushed, you can even add hours for better gains, then use warspoils when gb protection gets lowered from your first army returning and see how gb protection works in your favor.

Of course this way of playing does require to use a lot of hospitals since especially in the beginning of an age you are of the same acres than most others, and a lot of bad players will hit regardless of gb protection, using gs might and ight not be worth it since gb protection gets lowered that way, so it is working counter productive to reducing hits on you.

Regular
    Yep, War spoils is useful for

1) Attacking when you're unbreakable already
    2) When you can beat everyone back (i.e. all enemy attackers attack out on a single wave, you attack out next tick as an Avian or tact or high rax to get land in and army back out before they all return home
    3) Attacking in peace time, especially against an enemy that could ambush you but not trad you back.

and most importantly

4) Trolling teammates as a Faery.

I think its also useful in war if you are chained and hurting and you have to max gain.

You use warspoils on one attack to get you some wiggle room to help slow the bleeding then with the rest of your army you do normal attacks without ws.

Last age as avian/wh and being deep chained i would use ws on my 1st attk then with my last 3 gens i would hit 3 targets w/o it. It kept me fighting all war.

If i was really in bad shape,(being pk'd) i would use ws on 1 or 2 hits and have my last 2 gens to hit w/o and have those armies come home at diffrent times like maybe 1 to 3 hrs diff
    Last edited by Horus85; 11-04-2018 at 18:17.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Horus85 View Post
    I think its also useful in war if you are chained and hurting and you have to max gain.

You use warspoils on one attack to get you some wiggle room to help slow the bleeding then with the rest of your army you do normal attacks without ws.

Last age as avian/wh and being deep chained i would use ws on my 1st attk then with my last 3 gens i would hit 3 targets w/o it. It kept me fighting all war.

If i was really in bad shape,(being pk'd) i would use ws on 1 or 2 hits and have my last 2 gens to hit w/o and have those armies come home at diffrent times like maybe 1 to 3 hrs diff
    Isn't warspoils duration spell? How do you get it to apply to only 1 attack (unless you already have armies coming several hours apart, though even then its hard to control duration, and that makes it even more situational, i.e. in a situation where having acres now vs. 2 hours from now would make a significant difference).

Quote Originally Posted by changeling View Post
    Isn't warspoils duration spell? How do you get it to apply to only 1 attack (unless you already have armies coming several hours apart, though even then its hard to control duration, and that makes it even more situational, i.e. in a situation where having acres now vs. 2 hours from now would make a significant difference).
    Quote Originally Posted by changeling View Post
    Yea, Ws is a duration spell, but you can cast after your other hits or like you said, when the rest of your army is out. You could also cast it a tick or 2 before your first army returns.
    In war you should have great time management and attention of your military return times and cast accordingly.

Ws for the most part only lasts me 2-3 ticks. Because when I use it, ive already been deep chained and i dont have a high % of guilds, I need some land to slow the overpop and the desertions.
    Plus if its the first wave of being chained i still have a high enough offense and nw, so my hit will normally give me a good amount of land.

I use +attk times when chained to speard my incoming land out so 1) its harder for the enemy kd to try and catch my army right when it gets home
    (2)adding time to also catch another provs army when it returns and
    (3) because ive found (at least with me) that once im deep chained the hits never stop. So havimg land coming in every few ticks does make a difference for me.

I should state that I play avain so it might not work aswell as it has for me, with another race.

You are completely right about it being situational. Like i said i play avian mostly so when i was avian wh with the godspeed ritual up during war i was able to add +2hr and have my armies home in just over 8 ticks so it wasnt really hurting me to do so.

Using ws in war did help me alot whenni was a chain, will it help everyone? probably not. But war spoils is a situational spell to began with.
    Last edited by Horus85; 11-04-2018 at 21:47.

Post Fiend
    Yea, Ws is a duration spell, but you can cast after your other hits or like you said, when the rest of your army is out. You could also cast it a tick or 2 before your first army returns.
    In war you should have great time management and attention of your military return times and cast accordingly.

Ws for the most part only lasts me 2-3 ticks. Because when I use it, ive already been deep chained and i dont have a high % of guilds, I need some land to slow the overpop and the desertions.
    Plus if its the first wave of being chained i still have a high enough offense and nw, so my hit will normally give me a good amount of land.

I use +attk times when chained to speard my incoming land out so 1) its harder for the enemy kd to try and catch my army right when it gets home
    (3) because ive found (at least with me) that once im deep chained the hits never stop. So havimg land coming in every few ticks does make a difference for me.

I should state that I play avain so it might not work aswell as it has for me, with another race.

You are completely right about it being situational. Like i said i play avian mostly so when i was avian wh with the godspeed ritual up during war i was able to add +2hr and have my armies home in just over 8 ticks so it wasnt really hurting me to do so.

Using ws in war did help me alot whenni was a chain, will it help everyone? probably not. But war spoils is a situational spell to began with.

What kind of kd do u play in? And what do you define as a deep chain?

WS is a situational spell, but you got the situation wrong IMHO.

1. When you're deep chained, you are already overpop so you need to release to send your armies out. WS will not save those troops.
    2. Splitting your gens is situational, but you then lose effectiveness because your sendable offense is split up. How do you resync those armies if you need to make a big hit? Does that mean you need to make a hit ever 3-4 hrs since you're adding hours to every general?
    3. Casting WS a few ticks before your first hit and letting it wear off before making your other hits. How effective do you think this is? If it doesnt wear off in time does that mean you make 2 hits with WS? Or you keep your armies home to let it wear off...and then getting sniped as well?

TBH, I love it when kds we war use WS in war.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by clairec View Post
    Basically topic. I've seen some talk on the forums about how War Spoils is good or even OP, but my monarch has always told us that it's bad and we should almost never use it because if the land comes in immediately, it can just be taken again and when your army comes home, they won't be bringing land with them and you risk being overpopulated. Can anyone enlighten me on when and how I'm supposed to use this spell?
    Listen to your monarch.

Post Fiend
    azsxdcfv, listen to the man he is talking from experience. Warspoils is useful in a wide range of situations. It is the strongest spell in the game. Some could have a case for LL and I wouldn't disagree but LL is so difficult to cast that if you're playing against a kingdom that is even kind of good it is not practical.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Mass View Post
    azsxdcfv, listen to the man he is talking from experience. Warspoils is useful in a wide range of situations. It is the strongest spell in the game. Some could have a case for LL and I wouldn't disagree but LL is so difficult to cast that if you're playing against a kingdom that is even kind of good it is not practical.
    If you like, we could try a war and you could see what happens to attackers who cast WS. Again, warspoils is most effective when used by a UB province so he can use those acres immediately to generate econ. And if an attacker uses it...well, you'd have to try it to believe it.

Needs to get out more
    Dwarf War Hero is optimum for War Spoils based in a highly scientific study by StratOtonics.

Unlike guessing, my proprietary method known as Mechanics Confusion X! gives you exciting results every single time.

Kidding aside, it's just a matter of when the use of War Spoils is appropriate. When in war, when out of war, probably when you're unbreakable or to create a misdirection effect. I used War Spoils liberally out of war as a human war hero. I learned to hybridize my uniques by using War Spoils on some taps and not on others. So, anybody who's thinking is "you use it for every tap of a unique" should reconsider that view. I've used War Spoils in war, but more as flypaper(it's a trap!) since I'm an attacker at heart.

The beauty of faery war hero is casting War Spoils on attackers and hybrids at leverage points where enemy return armies are out of reach of fortification time. You can, provided the gold/credits/soldiers, accelerate builds and training. It's a rich mans sport, but certainly doable.

Btw, splitting armies works if you have experience and time. You can synch up armies with ambush, massacre, abduction, plunder, attack +/-, camping if you're tweening enemy armies in/out. Your opportunity depends on kingdom overall strategy, but I've demonstrated that you can use split armies against about any GMT wave based kingdom.

War Spoils can force enemies to use their full army and can be used to prevent ambush, as we all know.

Hopefully Final Edit: I'm no pro at build mechanics, but I've seen some flossy dwarves in a few instances... One was Maxins honor kingdom dwarf rogue I adopted. When the rubber hits the road, a dwarf using War Spoils properly, has high production acres online in 6 ticks at zero cost. Compare the relative wait for acres, the build time and efficiency. You have to be careful, we all agree on that.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 27-06-2018 at 20:05.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Post Fiend
    azsxdcfv, I'm not playing war hero. Though if you want me to attack into your kingdom I will. What's going to happen is I'll take land and you guys will let me. Sure there may be one wiseguy that gets the bright idea to ambush me. And for his or her troubles, I'll attack him once more--some lessons take longer for some to learn.

I don't think I'm going to be playing war hero next age. Been there, done that. Need to try new things.

I think war spoils is great if you have a great economy going as a whole regardless of unbreakable/chained. Races like Avians and Dwarves can really make great use of war spoils in both war and outside of it with high rebirth rate for former and free construction/fast build for latter. It can also be used to juke people from ambushing you back on a trad marches. One such example is if you get hit and you are prepared to ambush about 2-3 people and send a trad march as well, you can Trad march and ambush+Warspoil the 2-3 people. This way you are sure those 3 people did not hit you too deep, your economy doesn't die off too fast and you have land to rebuild into before they can attack again. If you are constantly getting hit a lot you can always try to run a high GS/Hosp(easy for dwarfs) build around 20/20% and just warspoil only your ambushes and trad march for max gains to keep land rolling it. The reason you dont want your economy to die too fast is because you need those elite conversions to occur as much as you can to save money on retraining your army from whatever ops you will be getting hit by. The idea is there but sure, builds usually is based on your KD requirements. I would generally go a dwarf/war hero just because you can save the time and money on building land into training your army since you will constantly be attacking and getting hit as well as getting opped. The def from elites also saves you on retraining troops like def specs who are at home dying to MS or something so you have a decent def back home once the converted elites are home. As a whole, war hero is really good for people who like to attack a lot. Getting chained also kills your honor meaning as long as you retal and get hits, you can prevent too much honor from being lost.

Pros
    -Economy Control
    -Honor Control
    -Pitfalls are great in war
    -War spoils can be used tactically in war and outside

Cons
    -Misuse of warspoils can lead you to easy deaths from chains
    -Costly to build into land and keep army up at the same time during wars

This is just my view on war hero as a whole but i can see a lot of potential in it for attacker roles. Maybe its too heavy on attacking with no defence against TMs? The safer way is probably just trying to be unbreakable and turtle up but i can see more potential in other ways it can be used if coordinated right.

Thread Information