And When I Do

There's an amount of contemplation when I'm putting TVK together. While there's a great deal of idealism, it's tempered by a degree of pragmatism. Let's say, elf. Elf already has Chastity, which by order of spell spread efficiency, make it less meaningful as a mystic. But we all know we need elf mystics. Unlike kingdoms that can just plop in whatever personality and race they want, The Virtual Kingdom practices inclusive balance.

This Virtual Kingdom balance is, to the reader, a way to remind ourselves of our blind spots. Sure, TVK could be run as an actual kingdom, but that misses the point. It's the lesson in top or bottom heavy kingdoms. I've seen many kingdoms that have great peripheral strength like those deep in dark elves. Now I like dark elves but they aren't a defensive breakers first choice. You want elves or the recently resuscitated halfling. Faery serves as the t/m umbrella.

We go through the rainbow here because part of what makes dark elves special is the damage potential. Thus, the strategic prelude to unleashing dark elves is to get those wpa defenses within reliable striking range. I'm hoping you can see now why the kingdom is slightly leaning toward sabotage and how the personality and races ramp toward the substantive.

It may seem trivial to spread Greater Protection around, but it does effect the number of troops enemies send. The other reason for liberal ability spread is to relieve pressure on faeries casting self spells. If there's anything I've learned from my real life work it's that the details are often overlooked which is akin to an engine operating on low oil. It's the viscosity in kingdom(and work) overall economy which keep things going. A lack of attention to the multiplicity of small things can seize the entire operation...and this is how we begin the blame game. So yes, it does start beginning of age, when you're choosing race and personality. When you're in the ghetto you must be acutely aware that you'll be an abduction target. You plan accordingly.

You'll note I'm not grouping Nightmare casters with a purpose. This is because a spell like Nightmare has great potential in sculpting enemies while using mana and runes for other objectives. Yes, it's wonderful to decimate enemies in tight waves, but then you have a bunch of players with empty weapons and spent armies. It's effective, yes, but impractical for many kingdoms to stick to tight waves. The Virtual Kingdom pays its dues in advance to the lords of chaos. I'd rather consolidate from the abyss than slowly be dragged toward it. There's enough control, from my experiences, without unnecessary restrictions by way of elliptical waving.