Dryad ~ tactician: Pith Helmet
    Elf ~ mystic: Top Hat
    Faery ~ heretic: Tantour
    Halfling ~ rogue: Bowler

*Expeditionary South:

Dark Elf ~ undead: Bicorne*
    Dwarf ~ paladin: Shako*
    Human ~ sage: Tricorne
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 05-05-2018 at 22:25.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Needs to get out more
    Hello, and welcome to HatWalk: Age 76 Virtual Kingdom.

This age, the kingdom has splinter divisions designed to approach the game in more detailed ellipses. The West is a true spearhead division, but the overall wave dynamic has been modified into a conical rotor rather than the proverbial clamp.
    Northwestern and Southwestern divisions are dedicated to opportunity play, taking advantage of variables as they present themselves. Elves, Mystics and Undead have been distributed to administer Chastity and Plague throughout the elipse.

Tactician spread is based in timely intel gathering while offering their speed to augment divisional objectives. Amnesia and Nightmare capability is used more for target sculpting than wave logistics.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

Needs to get out more
    Watching Bloomberg for Utopia

One of the problems I have is in clearly communicating a concept. So I was watching Bloomberg television and they had a brief report about jobs and the skill gap. Hitting it on the head, sages are about the skill gap. Not just the sages skills but their ability to cast Amnesia and lower the skill of an enemy. Since Utopia is a team sport the skill deficit is not for the sage alone to engage, but any number of beneficiaries in the kingdom. This may be particularly effective vs rogue types for instance, which can also be subject to Nightmare and thief abandonment as well. Seeing that there may be instances where sabotage penetration is at a standstill the alternative to Expose Thieves could be expanded upon with Amnesia and Nightmare which receive instance spell damage bonus and aren't subject to Mystic Vortex.

In other news, my choices for warrior being dwarf and human was based in the conquest potential more so than the welcome offensive boost. Dwarves and humans are harder targets compared to dryad and orcs and dwarves free build offer potentially higher nw. Humans have their credit bonus.

The one failure I regret is not yielding an elf heretic to exploit the mana bonus, but I sacrificed the build in the interest of sabotage capability. The approach to personalities and races in this version of TVK was to move the weight of logistical capability to a wider array while still retaining a few elements of depth. For instance, the ridiculous looking bocan war hero is all about honor effect. Because there's nothing particularly great about bocan war hero insofar as traditional engagement, I set this build in the role of opportunity. The idea is to allow the bocan war hero to gobble up honor wherever the going is easy. This can happen on purpose through the residual effect of divisional objectives or could be through the misfortune of enemy mistakes. Essentially the 2 province divisions are designated vultures.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Needs to get out more
    I'm Converting to Elitism!

Last age I got a good look at dark elves in war. The impression I had was they were so irritating I decided to go 3 wide this age in TVK and accept their financial weakness. Conversions on the now defunct undead was an offensive pain in the ass, but the dark elf conversion to defense rolls on while offenses are wilting.

I decided not to stack dark elf and war hero in the interest of having a small plethora of elite converters. The avian war hero is more about the process in crank speed with birthrate and credit bonuses.
    ________
    Weed bowls

TVK 76
    -Everyone is an attacker... a couple setups look like they could be run as pure TMs, but don't you dare!

DESERT WIND - you may not see it coming, but the shifting sands will swallow your province whole!
    Bocan War Hero - roll as attacker- converts to nice elites, train thieves withcredits, stack the honor bonuses
    Dark Elf Mystic - Off will drop quickly, but ability to NM attackers will not
    Dryad Paladin - OPA makes it a must to chain, WPA+Spells makes that harder, and if there is a Dragon- it better watch out!
    Dwarf Rogue
    Elf Heretic - WPA mod + extra mana + extra runes
    Halfling Mystic - big TPA and WPA mods leaves much space for OS
    Orc Tactician - innate speed and strength, lethal combo!
    Dryad Warrior

OCEAN SURF - or your coastlines may fall into the sea!
    Bocan War Hero
    Dark Elf Mystic
    Dryad Paladin
    Dwarf Rogue
    Elf Heretic
    Elf Rogue - Rogue with WPA mod sounds cozy
    Orc Tactician
    Orc Warrior

ECON+SUPPORT - here be Dragons!
    Dwarf Sage - Innate BE + Sci should make pretty good capacity
    Faery Paladin - share those spells
    Faery Tactician - share CS
    Human War Hero - protects human income
    Human Sage - enhances humans income
    Halfling Sage - extra population, TPA save, plus sage 'all-round' bonuses

BIRDS - just an absolute nuisance
    Avian Undead - more hits means more plague!
    Avian Undead
    Avian Undead
    Last edited by RattleHead; 15-05-2018 at 23:47.

Needs to get out more
    Beautifully done, RattleHead.

The options were so plentiful this age that I felt good about several alternatives.

Thank you, for you're invaluable insight.

For those who might visit this thread, I should point out the mission of The Virtual Kingdom isn't for me to dictate the best diversified kingdom, but to act as a muse.

The Virtual Kingdom is about pageantry and strategy. The pageantry comes from the ideal: a kingdom based in the most inclusive spread of race, personality and culture. This age the balance on 10 races is 3,3,3,3,3,2,2,2,2,2 and 9 personalities 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,2,2 to equal 25 provinces. Additionally, TVK was intended to demonstrate a way to bring fragmented kingdoms together, and I mean that in a sustaining cultural way. The division setup was designed so teammates can work together without being forced into the mold of a new kingdom. The premise is based in the longevity of earthly cities that include Burroughs like Chinatown and Little Italy. An eventual blend of cultures may take place, but we let these things happen in their own time.

The strategic aspect of TVK is simply in how you choose to aim the balance. In my version of TVK 76 it's heavier in traditional t/m types. Actually I'm a big fan of the dwarf but decided to see what bocan and dark elves looked like in their wheelhouse.

Honestly, we could run a kingdom full of sages and ram Amnesia down the throats of anyone going unfriendly to hostile. If you've ever been struck by Amnesia, imagine 5 dark elves, 5 elves, 5 faery, 5 orcs doing abduction and 5 humans just stacking science like Fonzie snapping his fingers to get a date.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Needs to get out more
    Expeditionary North

The aspects of The Virtual Kingdom are quietly centered in the realm of roleplaying. Here we have a trio of characters one might expect to see in Casablanca. Curious, streetwise, mildly aggressive and certainly formidable. These 3 may negotiate, racketeer and pursue other self interests, but they always have the ear of Central Command to whisper information.

The strategic aspects are:

Nightmare
    Fools Gold
    Amnesia
    Plague

There's decent sustain from esoteric science yield and resource conservation to practical troop losses and conversions. It's independent enough, just not as serious as the East division in close proximity.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 05-05-2018 at 22:45.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Needs to get out more
    And When I Do

There's an amount of contemplation when I'm putting TVK together. While there's a great deal of idealism, it's tempered by a degree of pragmatism. Let's say, elf. Elf already has Chastity, which by order of spell spread efficiency, make it less meaningful as a mystic. But we all know we need elf mystics. Unlike kingdoms that can just plop in whatever personality and race they want, The Virtual Kingdom practices inclusive balance.

This Virtual Kingdom balance is, to the reader, a way to remind ourselves of our blind spots. Sure, TVK could be run as an actual kingdom, but that misses the point. It's the lesson in top or bottom heavy kingdoms. I've seen many kingdoms that have great peripheral strength like those deep in dark elves. Now I like dark elves but they aren't a defensive breakers first choice. You want elves or the recently resuscitated halfling. Faery serves as the t/m umbrella.

We go through the rainbow here because part of what makes dark elves special is the damage potential. Thus, the strategic prelude to unleashing dark elves is to get those wpa defenses within reliable striking range. I'm hoping you can see now why the kingdom is slightly leaning toward sabotage and how the personality and races ramp toward the substantive.

It may seem trivial to spread Greater Protection around, but it does effect the number of troops enemies send. The other reason for liberal ability spread is to relieve pressure on faeries casting self spells. If there's anything I've learned from my real life work it's that the details are often overlooked which is akin to an engine operating on low oil. It's the viscosity in kingdom(and work) overall economy which keep things going. A lack of attention to the multiplicity of small things can seize the entire operation...and this is how we begin the blame game. So yes, it does start beginning of age, when you're choosing race and personality. When you're in the ghetto you must be acutely aware that you'll be an abduction target. You plan accordingly.

You'll note I'm not grouping Nightmare casters with a purpose. This is because a spell like Nightmare has great potential in sculpting enemies while using mana and runes for other objectives. Yes, it's wonderful to decimate enemies in tight waves, but then you have a bunch of players with empty weapons and spent armies. It's effective, yes, but impractical for many kingdoms to stick to tight waves. The Virtual Kingdom pays its dues in advance to the lords of chaos. I'd rather consolidate from the abyss than slowly be dragged toward it. There's enough control, from my experiences, without unnecessary restrictions by way of elliptical waving.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Needs to get out more
    Land Effect Spread

One strategy I didn't utilize was faery tactician for liberal CS spread. Now in the case of TVK this isn't as complex to switch; just to show the means by which it could be done -

Elf paladin to heretic
    Dryad tactician to paladin
    Faery heretic to tactician

This would yield some benefits and result in some liabilities, just as the standard TVK.

Overall my intentions were to get building and building like efficiencies where they benefit the kingdom most. CS is an undeniable strength, but this may also result in the faery being only subtly effective in the game that revolves around difficulty in breaking. It's not that I think one way is better than the other. The question is in who the enemy disables first. The wise enemy takes out the faery tactician because it stands as the conduit to total unbreakability for the entire t/m core. It's a nominal risk, just like running your t/m core toward building effectiveness.

Where things get sticky is the dryad ability to run paladin effectively in war. They are very breakable and this along with slow movement and the propensity of enemies to raze results in a province that can't use half it's power. I've analyzed this myself in running an orc paladin 2 ages ago and an avian paladin last age. The gift of speed in attacking is that you obtain build credits in accordance with your turnaround. This is the closest a non-dwarf can get to maintaining a personality dependent on build. Paladins are very guild dependent to present the best version of themselves. Thus, the t/m as a paladin doesn't boast great speed, but their inherent defense mitigates multiple razes and the cost associated with the tactic. That is to say, an attacker with no land coming in from an attack is vulnerable to retaliation. While dwarves are vulnerable they enjoy fast free building that generally will go live before the enemies next wave begins. This of course doesn't mean dryad paladin is a bad build. They have faster training and the lower losses result in offensive sustain.

The point I'm making is in who has building efficiency and how often it applies. My endeavor was to get optimum building efficiency across the field of t/ms and building like efficiencies across the attacker core. There's no way to raze off tacticians speed effect or intel gathering benefit. Building efficiencies in t/ms help to relieve some of the pressure in covering the many holes. One of the most important benefits in the t/m types is wizard regeneration. While I've sacrificed this ability in my choice of sages, that decision was based in my knowledge of Amnesia use. The weight of Amnesia weighs heaviest on rogues who are the most likely suspects in wizard loss. It was an offensive decision. The good thing is that beyond the inability to generate wizards quickly for sage is the default science. This allows sages to operate nominally in all fields and continue to participate despite losses in one regard. Oh and Amnesia isn't a stand alone spell, it's the crowbar for a flood of ops and sabotage. It's important to understand that I'm not selling mechanical snake oil but presenting the means by which you shake down difficult targets. One of the least understood strategies in Utopia is the progression. It's in how you build bridges to cross rivers. It's nice to think our t/ms are superior to the enemies and therefor we will land ops/sabotage, but realistically you will run into pro's who have built t/m monoliths and enjoy kingdom strats to keep them that way. We're talking about the guys who win a lot.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Postaholic
    Can you guys simulate a war against each other. Thanks.

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    Can you guys simulate a war against each other. Thanks.
    We could ask Emeriti if we could use theirs. I'm too analog to do it without Jensen silver foil caps and Mullard valves.
    ________
    Weed bowls

I ran a quick sim, and it ended in a Mutual Peace

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
    I ran a quick sim, and it ended in a Mutual Peace
    Alliance time :D
    ________
    Weed bowls

Needs to get out more
    What in the East is Going On?!

More simple math..

Here's your damage division with dwarf backbone. Halfer heretic probably burning WTs, Bocan rogue knocking off wizards for Nightmare followup and orc smash-dwarf mop up. A few Chaastity pops, Gluttony and Blizzards help set up opportunity attacks by the Northeastern division in close proximity.

Resilience aspects in the East division include dark elf conversions, bocan honor effect and thief credits, orc tac speed, zero loss intel and efficient spell duo: Reflect Magic, Clear Sight. The dwarf has inherent free build, and the halfer heretic has cheaper thieves that die slower and the ability to use the infamous soldier ball.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 10-05-2018 at 22:06.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Needs to get out more
    Central HQ Power Soak

The Central division is devised as a multipurpose entity. The spearhead aspects include the engagement of dedicated elf and halfling builds. The faery ability to cast self spells can help aid adjoining divisions and the avian tac can augment ailing attack objectives and intel gaps. The bocan can reinstitute Nightmare effects ergo to the seamless function of the human warrior. The bocan can also reinforce Arson integral to the function of the faery rogue. The faery rogue can increase the faery mystic and bocan heretics cast reliability through assassinating wizards.

A Word on Offensive Duration Spells

Duration spells have their strengths and the Central division has a sizable array. While this might seem like the division that exerts that strength, my philosophy on duration spells is to spread them throughout the day. Too many kingdoms get lulled into believing the duration is "the duration" without the simple insight that many enemy provinces will ask for friendly Mystic Vortex to rid them of the effects. For example: one of our mystics casting an array of duration spells can be wiped out more efficiently by the enemy in one cast of Mystic Vortex. My philosophy is to badger the opponent with a nominal accumulation of duration effects through the ellipse and recast as each spell fades from different casters.

Since part of the strategy here is to reduce resistance through Assassinating Wizards we must also expect reduced wpa to make it easier for friendly Mystic Vortex. The emphasis here is to keep duration spells in rotation with the intent of forcing the enemy to use more mana and runes to cast Mystic Vortex if they so choose.

The same philosophy includes the two spells that have a duration effect that can't be wiped out by Mystic Vortex: Amnesia and Nightmare. Unlike kingdoms that wave in 2 dynamic waves per day, The Virtual Kingdom elliptical wave is a constant pressure strategy like a constrictor or octopus with tendrils grabbing enemy limbs ad nauseam.

Through Blizzard, Explosions, Meteor Showers, Chastity, Greed, Magic Ward, Barrier of Integrity and Gluttony we can help walk down opponents. Amnesia, Nightmare and sabotage Riots are effects that can't be eliminated through MV. Magic Ward can make Plague more difficult to heal(another reason to have the paladin and undead duo). Nightmare reduces thieves opening up opponents to deeper sabotage. Amnesia reduces science effect which can improve percentages across all offensive fields. Fools Gold is also an underused spell that can force exhaustion on opponents pressed to pay for dragons or wages.

These are options. Part of the division system is in how it's ergonomic to micro and adaptation on the fly. We aren't forgetting the utility of Fireball. Simply, the highest efficiency in spells, sabotage and attacks are in their first few applications. Instead of going deep with a particular spell we can attack an opponent from the military fundamental of constant flanking until a spearhead is devised. The endeavor is to reduce the opponent in totality rather than zap one strength while ignoring the rest.

For students of the sweet science, boxing, we observe the Mayweather vs McGregor bout. When we refer to walking down an opponent we do it through using our skills and ability to adapt to conserve energy, use our endurance efficiently and our killer instinct in patient yet frighteningly rapid execution.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 17-05-2018 at 01:02.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Thread Information