Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2889 provinces

Veteran
    Leadership really is the problem. The difference between a good active leader and a bad one is day and night. Problem i see is that the good ones don't *want* to lead any-more, and can't blame them, it's a 24/7 job and extremely unrewarding.

All the more baffling that nothing is done to address the leadership issue, the extra steward is a band-aid at best. But what leaders need is access to their kingdoms provinces build/army setup, and an easier way to get into war (just automate war start once kingdoms agree, make it possible to agree war to start 24h/48h in advance, make this binding, so that once two kingdoms agree to war neither can bail out and war starts after 24h/48h, whatever both agreed to). And *please* drop that reverbim chat thing and replace it by something that can actually send push messages to alert the bloody kingdom.

Some automation during of war would be peachy (a way to easily set targets, a simple if-this-then-that to automate orders to individual provs (eg is prov x attacks you, ambush pls, etc) but not be biggest problem at all.
    Last edited by Yadda9To5; 09-06-2018 at 12:40.
    http://www.upoopu.com/: an intel repository (or: "pimp alternative") for utopia (read the guide).

Forum Addict
    If game dies i would be happy. I could be free!

17-20 player KD sizes would be a great start since to be honest...since the pandering to the best 15 KDs is really whats killing the other 120 KDs in the server for the last 5 years has not worked.

Leveling the playing field and making ALL KINGDOMS start on EQUAL FOOTING will give incentive to some players to start fresh and compete with others that...which is more than can be said than doing nothing and watching playerbase #s sink.

Why would it work?

1) It would remove any "headstart" or "handicap" that most organized KDs already have at 25 players vs those who can only get 22 before the game is even played. At least in any competitive e-sport game...all contestants start on the even playing fields with their competitors regardless of talent or skill.

I cant understand why Utopia community hasn't come around to that realization yet...as if there isn't any examples of simple free games (like Fortnite) that can prove popularity and time investment can take off if the free game premise stays fair for all yet calls for teamwork and skill to be developed in real time.

2) The spread of players that will produce can also procure new leaders if the right combination can be found....only way you can find that out is to lower KD sizes and spread the player base farther apart and see for yourself.

3) Technological assistance has yet to help the game as planned...mainly because the only real attempt made by the new Game Development Team to make tools to help play this game more efficiently was just adopting and integrating an existing 3rd party irc intel tool (Munkbot)

Unfortunately its still riddled with bugs and errors...as well as a coding format and presentation so basic that it is worse than that of a high school Senior working on a project for his Computer Science class. In fact even after becoming an official Dev Team Member for over a year...there has been no effort or attempt by Munk to clean up his tool and bring up the quality of his work to at least that equal to Utopia grammer standard.

I think the guy who made the Utopia App (private independent developer) has done a better job trying to visually bring Utopia into the Modern era ... a stark contrast on whatever you guys thought Munkbot was going to do for Utopia in the long run. At this point...who knows is the Community-requested "Facebook App" will ever become a reality yet I can bet we will have Munkbot and the same top 15 kingdoms using it until the game officially dies.

This not to say I am displeased with the recent gameplay changes...the race balancing as well as new lil features over the last few ages has been refreshing and enjoyable. However that is not what is being discussed here.

I'm not surprised that province count is going down. What i'm surprised is that none of the elite players who supposedly know the game from every aspect...has yet to come up with any good suggestion on how to save the game....just the same ol' excuses that has been killing the game year upon year
    Last edited by DonJuan; 11-06-2018 at 07:47.
    "Respect the one who defends his land with bravery;
    Honor the price he pays to fufill his duty."

-DonJuan, The Legendary KaMiKaZe King
    WhatsApp +16264286874 | SC2/D3 BattleNet: DonJuan5420 | PSN: DonJuan5420

Age 54: #1 Land KD (HaLL of Heroes)
    Age 54: #1 NW KD (HaLL of Heroes)

Age 81: #1 Honor KD (The Faery Circle)
    Age 81: #1 WW KD (The Faery Circle)
    The Tactical Technical Institute

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Yea guys, there's absolutely no reason Utopia can't get a million players if Fortnite can!

There is anything "unfair" or "uneven" about kingdom sizes. 99% of kingdoms at less than 25 provinces are there because they actively choose to have less than 25 provinces.

The game doesn't have enough leaders. The game will never improve unless we either make leading easier or somehow convince more people that are good at leading kingdoms that they should play. Anything less than fixing this problem is a stopgap, although I so agree that Utopia is about a decade behind trying to be a modern game

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Yea guys, there's absolutely no reason Utopia can't get a million players if Fortnite can!

There is anything "unfair" or "uneven" about kingdom sizes. 99% of kingdoms at less than 25 provinces are there because they actively choose to have less than 25 provinces.

The game doesn't have enough leaders. The game will never improve unless we either make leading easier or somehow convince more people that are good at leading kingdoms that they should play. Anything less than fixing this problem is a stopgap, although I so agree that Utopia is about a decade behind trying to be a modern game

This is incorrect. Try getting 25 provinces.

Your perception of reality is as real as Taylor Swift's.

Its not about getting 17 or so provinces, its about adjusting the script to have less kingdoms. It tops out at 22 from what I have seen.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I haven't played in a few years but I had no problems getting to 25 players. I might be out of touch with a lot of things since utopias been changing, but ghetto monarch mentality isn't one of them.

Post Demon
    Finished a nice 19 vs 19 a few days ago for first win, could have gotten either way but t/m's and unbreakables made the opponents surrender while still up acres. Both kingdoms had fun and we are ranked arround 115 now. Might be lucky with a few random players or we might put up the wall and seek war again.

Doesn't really matter much how many other kingdoms there is or how many players they have, as long as a handfull looks similair enough to war.

Enthusiast
    I haven't played in a few years but I had no problems getting to 25 players. I might be out of touch with a lot of things since utopias been changing, but ghetto monarch mentality isn't one of them.
    So when there was literally double the players? I've seen top KDs and known names fail to recruit. Every time I've managed 25 players since I started in March 2016 it's been 1-3 flakes, abandoners, inactives, etc. Never even come close to a solid 25. Have had a sold 22 many times.

So much crying in this thread and for all the wrong reasons.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananamancer2000 View Post
    So when there was literally double the players? I've seen top KDs and known names fail to recruit. Every time I've managed 25 players since I started in March 2016 it's been 1-3 flakes, abandoners, inactives, etc. Never even come close to a solid 25. Have had a sold 22 many times.
    No. I think there was about 4k when I left. Stop recruiting everyone and anyone that says please and maybe you won't have quite as many flakes, abandons, and inactives

No. I think there was about 4k when I left. Stop recruiting everyone and anyone that says please and maybe you won't have quite as many flakes, abandons, and inactives
    Players like that aren't new. And the #1 cause is long time friends from my experience & what I've seen in other kds. Xlogging used to remedy that. Banning it killed Utopia imo

Number of players gained using this response: 0
    Number of players lost using this response: +1250

The fact this that this game started its success in a system where teams are constantly populated to 25 and it fed the growth of a kingdom by cycling through tons of players

Now those tons of players dont exist anymore and trying to sustain the magic number "25" have blinded the purpose of having full kingdoms in the first place.

The reason why no new players stick is because the actual team-building part of the game is entrenched to enrich the 10%-20% of total kingdoms.

New players that do decide to stay quickly realize that unless they are playing in those 15 or so highly organized kds ...game play must revolve more around smaller local goals (100% WWs) than bigger goals (winning crowns).

Plenty of new players of games are competitor...but will not compete if there isnt a way to gain an edge.

There are great players out there in this world that can pick up any game very quickly but unless they have a chance to find a place to grow in Utopia...they will not be attracted to a meta-game designed to suppress player growth in lieu of safety of the kingdom.

Its like telling Michael Jordan not to go 1v1 on people he knows he can beat to the rim because his team isnt as good as he is and if they don't win...they don't have to play a high-seeded team in the playoffs.

This leads me to reiterate my question:

Why would it be a bad idea to lower KD sizes (to 21 lets say) if the overall trend has gotten worse after doing nothing to address it?
    Last edited by DonJuan; 11-06-2018 at 22:38.

Enthusiast
    "kingdoms need 25 to compete"
    "Kingdoms choose not to have 25"
    "it's easy to fill with 25"
    "if you like having **** players"

Post Demon
    it is also easy to be judgemental of others and thus scare them away, better to try and improve everyone rather than to toss them aside.

@DonJuan you can get crowns on few provinces, it is simply a matter of what crowns, I've done it and so have others, some are still trying to play that way (7:2), also who is to say personal goals are bad, you can have all sorts of goals like 200 hits an age, get bigger than I've been before or get to 500 scientists, or simply challenge yourself to play an unlikely combination or try a new race. Far from everyone prefer to be in 25 man kingdoms and wake up wednesday morning at 4 to attack an opponent. I've had science goals and attack goals and growth goals all, I believe a variety of personal goals makes me able to improve in a lot of diffrent areas as opposed to having the same goal every age, and while I sometimes get up wednesday at 4 to make a hit, I do so on my own iniciative, I could never play in a kingdom that had this as a requirement. The entire problem with top kingdoms is not that they have 25 or 21 provinces, but that they ask of you to get up at 4 every wednesday if needed be, this chases players away no matter what number of players your kingdom has.

There are plenty of 22-player kingdoms that ask/call people to wake up at 4 am during war for a wave...thats not the issue here.

The reality is that thanks to the current meta...unless those kingdoms specific state they plan to go for NW...they will most likely never fill those last 3 spots "organically" unless they plan to play competitively vs other 25 man KD.

This dumb system of filling to 22 and forcing to recruit the last spots has contributed to the notion that a KD needs to be "evenly sized" and "fair" to war anyone (which everyone hates). Just giving a KD any chance to have doubts in comparison to other kingdoms has always resulted in gridlock when looking for war.

If you force all kingdoms the same size (realistically it would go down) and put them amongst each other...the most competitive will rise.

If you stack the chips on some KDs more than others...only those with the advantage will be the most competitive.

The other kingdoms will be less inclined to be competitive overall and thus the cycle repeats.

Why do you think there is so much drama in the Top about dealbreaking?

The same groups of people are playing in the same group of KDs age after age...which proves the recruiting elitism going on in top tier.

Essentially you're supporting a fractured social class that doesnt help the society overall.
    Last edited by DonJuan; 12-06-2018 at 01:17.

Thread Information