Thread: Remove or change RM and CS

Post Fiend

Remove or change RM and CS

Randomness should be removed from the game. CS and RM should not randomly say "Yes this spell/op.. this one i will/won't work on". Like just make them big short duration (2 ticks) buffs with 100% rng if people still want them. The main idea behind them, i gather, is to give the personality/race a type of TM defense that they may not generally have or seek to build, but for a strategic game with long term building of a set of bonuses for your province having a moderate duration spell that just randomly gives you the effect of a few weeks of building or doesn't despite the rune cost.... well.. just seems bad on both ends of the spell/op. For the caster that specifically went high mage to land spells, the thief that went Super Thief specifically to do damage with ops, for the Attacker that figured RM would give him a decent chance of avoiding damage from a spell/op. Both self spells are all the anger, disappointment, glorious triumph and relief that RNG have to offer in this game. So i suggest making them like the original versions of the Paladin bonuses, just a flat buff of short duration. Maybe they just reflect everything for 2 ticks and stop all ops for 2 ticks, but it also costs you a chunk of whatever rune reserves you have left - i mean RM does already, but with the change RM isnt a "reapply when it runs out" its a "the MS cast on me is about to run out, i'll cast RM and see if i can catch that mage". I mean isnt just the RNG in casting those difficult selfspells on low af guilds enough without having RNG in the spells themselves.

Post Fiend
    I may have come across a little whiny, but just trying to cover what i can think of as the negatives to changing/removing RM and CS

Postaholic
    "randomness should be removed from the game"

No.

Try using mystic vortex before opping.

Everything in this game has a counter other than riots. Just be a better player.

Forum Fanatic
    Both work as designed. Personally i think reflect needs even more chance to work.

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Postaholic
    I dont think they should be removed, HOWEVER, it is a bit broken that a fae has a base 50% chance of success, so a faery tactician can put CS on an elf/mystic, and good luck MV'ing that off.

RM is annoying, but not in a broken way. Sure it is frustrating trying to MV off Reflect Magic only to have your MV get reflected and remove 12-15 mana worth of self spells from your own prov, but at least RM on attackers and rogues is relatively easy to remove. It would be lovely if they made it so Mystic Vortex could not be reflected back on the caster. (Though it is sometimes fun to cast MV on a prov specifically hoping to reflect MV and remove your own MS if you are the highest wpa in your kd).

Honestly I think the most broken part of the game right now is Faery's 50% base success chance at casting self spell on kd mates. Would be much more interesting if the base success was way lower. It should be VERY hard to put cast CS on an elf/my. Not 50/50.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    "randomness should be removed from the game"

No.

Try using mystic vortex before opping.

Everything in this game has a counter other than riots. Just be a better player.

Well I do MV before i cast and op....(?)..... so....... why shouldnt randomness be removed from the game?

But then again. There's a significant chance it wont be reflected. I was a caster for the last couple ages, the percentage of reflected was kind of all over the place. I'm simply suggesting that RM and CS become more strategic spells rather than just reapply every time someone logs in.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder TA View Post
    Both work as designed. Personally i think reflect needs even more chance to work.
    Thats what i suggested as well. Significantly higher chance, lower duration. As the title states "Remove or Change..."
    Last edited by Kido; 04-07-2018 at 20:59.

Only randomness that needs removing is random % on attacks.

Post Fiend
    We used to have Mystic Aura which reflects back the next spell cast on you, which is pretty much RM without the randomness. People ended up casting MV on someone with MA to get rid of MS the caster has.

Post Fiend
    CS and RM are no more random than spells or ops. You don't know if a spell or ops is going to fail.

Director of Age Changes
    Sounds like something a bad player would say.
    Discord: Hex | IRC: Hextor / Avenger

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilmington View Post
    CS and RM are no more random than spells or ops. You don't know if a spell or ops is going to fail.
    Not 100% on whether its a success but you can get to highly consistent, something which RM cant be... though i guess CS kinda is.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Sounds like something a bad player would say.
    Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Kido View Post
    Maybe they just reflect everything for 2 ticks and stop all ops for 2 ticks
    No thanks, minimum base duration for any selfspell should be 8 hours. 2 hour duration's only encourage bots and crossloggers etc, or the spell would be completely useless for most players most of the time.

And I also think that the randomness is a crucial part of the spell. You can't know whether it's up or not. You either have to expend resources to dispell it when it might not be up or you risk having that MS reflected in your face. An MS with a 100% chance to reflect would be a worse spell thatn it's current iteration. So I very much prefer to keep it, although maybe tune the reflect chance up a little, not by all that much though.

If you had a 100% Reflect rate you could use some cheap and relatively harmless spell to test out whether it's up or not same way you used to do with 1gen 1sold armies for fogchecks back in the day(although mana is a much less precious resource than generals.).
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Postaholic
    I still think MV should remove a minimum of 1 spell every cast (if there is one or more spells up)

Thread Information