Thread: Give single Race Kingdoms a bonus

Post Fiend

Give single Race Kingdoms a bonus

It's been a while since we saw KD's like TFC or the Shirish Mafia (Or any other single Race KD) in Utopia.

So for the sake of those who are looking for some fun in this way, give such KD with only a single race in them some bonuses.
    This suggestion assumes that these KD's would not likely be competing for any crowns, so its more a suggestion to add some fun for those who are willing to try such an approach to the game. In most cases they would be limiting themselves in some way by having only a single race.

The bonus could either be an improvement upon the race characteristics, ie:

An All Elf KD could receive: +10% WPA, + 5% tower efficiency
    An All Faery KD could receive: +10% Self Spell Duration, +10% Sabotage Operation Damage
    An All Orc KD could receive: +5% Battle Gains, +10% Enemy casualties on attacking
    etc..
    (%'s suggested are merely suggestions - I'll leave it up to better heads to get to "right" %'s)

OR

The bonuses could be irrelevant to race characteristics, ie:

An All Avian KD could receive: +1 off spec
    An All Faery KD could recieve: Some bonus spell(s)
    etc..

How exactly such KD is supposed to keep 1 race combo? Apparently they have to otherwise if the bonus is given just once(when the age starts ticking for example) ppl will just buy credits, swap the races and continue entire age with the bonus thus making the game paid to win. So KDs must keep the setup the entire age and this is hard to do. Must keep wall up because randoms will ruin the setup, it also needs very strong leadership to keep the KD whole and except 2-3 KDs who else can do it?

it's not a bad idea just the current state of the player base/community makes it inapplicable.

I proposed something similar awhile back, where each race has a 'Terrain' type, which would give mods (Mountains/Defence, Forest/Construction Cost, etc) across the KD, a flat % per provinces, so KDs with more provinces get more effect.

Post Fiend
    I think you'd probably end up with a lot of all Orc Kingdoms.. But i like the idea of terrain types for each race, they wouldn't further punish kingdoms for being disorganized - those that struggle with dragons and rituals. However, adding even more things that modify defense, offense, tpa and wpa seems like it would be a bit much, especially if its scaled with number of provinces of the same type. But things like construction costs, training costs, food produced/decayed/eaten, gc per peasant, jobs per peasant, etc. seem like they'd be useful but not a straight up bonus to offense or tpa.. on top of rituals/honor/buildings/pers modifiers.

This is revised from my previously posted suggestion, as I think you make a good point about direct offence/defence mods... Obviously some of these races don't exist anymore, either, for now...

Kingdom Terrain

Terrain_Bonus / Penalty_Description

Mountain _ +0.022gc per employed peon, per province / +0.5% own Attack Time per province _ Mountains hold many riches, but are difficult to traverse
    -25 Mountain province would give +0.55gc per peon(works out to +20% base income), and +12.5% Attack time
    Swamp _ +1% enemy Attack Time per province / -1% BE per province _ Only you know the way, but it makes for a rough commute too
    -25 Swamp provinces would give +25% enemy attack time, and -25% BE
    Underdark _+1% kills on defence, per province / -2% Scientist generation per province _ They are up to no good down there, but they don’t get out much either
    -25 Underdark province would give +25% kills on defence, and -50% scientist generation
    Forest _ -1% Construction Cost per province / -1.12 base bushels produced per farm, per province _ Being surrounded by excellent building supplies sure does reduce the amount of sunlight available
    -25 Forest province would give -25% construction cost, and -28 bushels per farm (-40% base food production)
    Steppes _ +1% BE per province / +0.005gc Wages per unit, per province _ Humans work together in open spaces to create wealth, greed is their weakness
    -25 Steppes province would give +25% BE, and +0.125gc wages per unit, base wages(specs[+25%] and elites[~+18%])
    Foothills _ -1% Training Cost per province / -0.5% Population per province _ Living on a slope makes for good exercise, but can limit land-use area
    -25 Foothills province would give -25% training cost, and -12.5% population

Avian, Dwarf - Mountain
    Bocan, Halfling - Swamp
    Dryad, Elf, Faery - Forest
    Dark Elf - Underdark
    Human - Steppes
    Orc - Foothills

notes:
    -These stats would accumulate into one Kingdom-wide set of effects, based on the makeup of your Kingdom
    -This might also serve to incentivize people coagulating into larger(full), Kingdoms
    -Of course the numbers are all debatable, as well as the perks themselves, since they are of varying value to everyone. I tried to base them in the game lore, as I perceive it, as best I could

Quote Originally Posted by Kido View Post
    wouldn't further punish kingdoms for being disorganized - those that struggle with dragons and rituals
    This. Mechanic's can be interesting without being punishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    Y'know, sometimes winning... winning is no fun at all.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
    This is revised from my previously posted suggestion, as I think you make a good point about direct offence/defence mods... Obviously some of these races don't exist anymore, either, for now...

Kingdom Terrain

Terrain_Bonus / Penalty_Description

Mountain _ +0.022gc per employed peon, per province / +0.5% own Attack Time per province _ Mountains hold many riches, but are difficult to traverse
    -25 Mountain province would give +0.55gc per peon(works out to +20% base income), and +12.5% Attack time
    Swamp _ +1% enemy Attack Time per province / -1% BE per province _ Only you know the way, but it makes for a rough commute too
    -25 Swamp provinces would give +25% enemy attack time, and -25% BE
    Underdark _+1% kills on defence, per province / -2% Scientist generation per province _ They are up to no good down there, but they don’t get out much either
    -25 Underdark province would give +25% kills on defence, and -50% scientist generation
    Forest _ -1% Construction Cost per province / -1.12 base bushels produced per farm, per province _ Being surrounded by excellent building supplies sure does reduce the amount of sunlight available
    -25 Forest province would give -25% construction cost, and -28 bushels per farm (-40% base food production)
    Steppes _ +1% BE per province / +0.005gc Wages per unit, per province _ Humans work together in open spaces to create wealth, greed is their weakness
    -25 Steppes province would give +25% BE, and +0.125gc wages per unit, base wages(specs[+25%] and elites[~+18%])
    Foothills _ -1% Training Cost per province / -0.5% Population per province _ Living on a slope makes for good exercise, but can limit land-use area
    -25 Foothills province would give -25% training cost, and -12.5% population

Avian, Dwarf - Mountain
    Bocan, Halfling - Swamp
    Dryad, Elf, Faery - Forest
    Dark Elf - Underdark
    Human - Steppes
    Orc - Foothills

notes:
    -These stats would accumulate into one Kingdom-wide set of effects, based on the makeup of your Kingdom
    -This might also serve to incentivize people coagulating into larger(full), Kingdoms
    -Of course the numbers are all debatable, as well as the perks themselves, since they are of varying value to everyone. I tried to base them in the game lore, as I perceive it, as best I could
    I think the same could be said for Attack time. It seems like a good idea, but all i see is pain.. sleepy sleepy pain. Attack time is hard to balance as is between racial, personality, building effects and rituals. BUT i like that theres negatives to terrain types too. Makes it pretty interesting.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo To View Post
    How exactly such KD is supposed to keep 1 race combo? Apparently they have to otherwise if the bonus is given just once(when the age starts ticking for example) ppl will just buy credits, swap the races and continue entire age with the bonus thus making the game paid to win. So KDs must keep the setup the entire age and this is hard to do. Must keep wall up because randoms will ruin the setup, it also needs very strong leadership to keep the KD whole and except 2-3 KDs who else can do it?

it's not a bad idea just the current state of the player base/community makes it inapplicable.
    First off, it's not meant for something for *everyone* to approach. But for those who choose to be unique, they will get a small bonus from their choice. Diversity in race choices will always be the better choice, but for those who choose to play in this manner, they would receive a small bonus to increase their unique play style.

As for achieving it - yes, you'd need a stable 22 province KD (Or 23, 24, 25 provinces for that matter). If you'd drop below 22 provinces, then you are at risk of losing this bonus - so such a KD will need to activate a wall + actively recruit to fill up to 22 provinces with the same race. If any KD with 23, 24, 25 provinces loses one province, then they would still retain the bonus.
    As such I'd estimate there is quite a number of KD's that could choose such an approach, but I doubt more than a few would be willing to.

I figured Attack time might not fly for some people, but unsure of other meaningful, practical mods... I think its manageable, personally, since it would be predictable, unlike the Fog spell for example.

Maybe Explore costs, something like;

Mountain _ +0.022gc per employed peon, per province / +1.32% own Attack Time per province _ Mountains hold many riches, but are difficult to traverse
    -25 Mountain province would give +0.55gc per peon(works out to +20% base income), and +33% explore costs(gc and solds)
    Swamp _ -1.32% Explore Costs per province / -1% BE per province _ Not an easy commute, and it drives one to search for a way out
    -25 Swamp provinces would give -33% explore cost(gc and solds), and -25% BE

Thread Information