Thread: Ritual '80 casts' is boring. Overcasts do not alleviate.

Post Fiend

Red face Ritual '80 casts' is boring. Overcasts do not alleviate.

Should turn the '80 casts' into a '100%' meter, and then allow for *SOME* kind of god-damn MAAATH to be involved in the casting of the ritual. For the love of god give us some "you've increased the strength of your kingdoms ritual by 3.2%" and a little RNG... hello? Allow for MODIFIERS!?!?!?!??!?!?! to be applied to the damn casting!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! jeez.

Ritual is cool and all but the '80' is so not utopia...

Dragons cost is a huge number generated by constantly changing in-game NUMBERS.

Dragons health... yup.

They are practically RNG in and of themselves! (so meta)

Give Rituals some pizazz. Give em the mathz. Yeh.

Post Fiend
    Dragon HP is not random.

Post Fiend
    You misunderstand.

RNG isn't random either.

I was trying to be rhetorical / entertaining.

Post Fiend
    At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Post Demon
    increase can be seen by monarch and stewards so they know the effect when activated, effect of course based on the base effect then multiplied with % going over or under.
    Furthermore I think Carthage should be destroyed and Dryads brought back to the game

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolzly View Post
    RNG isn't random either.
    Post of the year.

Post Fiend
    The pertinent portion of wikipedia:

Several computational methods for random-number generation exist. Many fall short of the goal of true randomness, although they may meet, with varying success, some of the statistical tests for randomness intended to measure how unpredictable their results are (that is, to what degree their patterns are discernible).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generation

I feel sad for the state of the utopia community based on the responses to my attempt at levity.

Also, suggestion is 100% legit.

Suggestion for the slow: Allow for racial / persona / etc buffs to work with Ritual casting. It's lacking any kind of number manipulation. It's George Orwell's version of a utopia mechanic.
    Last edited by Wolzly; 30-10-2018 at 00:26.

Post Fiend

I feel sad for the state of the utopia community based on the responses to my attempt at levity.

Suggestion for the slow: Allow for racial / persona / etc buffs to work with Ritual casting. It's lacking any kind of number manipulation. It's George Orwell's version of a utopia mechanic.
    I will put a real response.

There are actually a number of factors in ritual casting:

1. What is your kingdom set up? does a few provinces do a bulk of the casting and what size would said provinces be?
    2. Do you aid the smallest province to maximise the use of runes to hit the target?
    3. What ritual do you cast? (this could lose you a war)
    4. Do you dump science points into Invocation?
    5. How many casts do you go up to before you activate the ritual?
    6. Is it more beneficial to override the current ritual based on your kingdoms situation?
    7. Do you even cast a ritual or will the switch give too much economic advantage to the enemy?

Why would you need to make this more complicated? Why would you need to put in "RNG" when the above questions already have enough random elements to them?

Post Fiend
    I feel like you are sort of missing Wolzly's point. Any other spell you cast, you have variation in duration or instant damage (or gold created or whatever). Given that, it does seem a little odd that every ritual cast is worth '1' out of 80. Should Elves be able to get a higher percentage of the ritual completed than say orcs? It does seem less like other utopian mechanics now that it is pointed out, though I'm not sure I'd have ever noticed without someone pointing it out to me.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by luke3 View Post
    I feel like you are sort of missing Wolzly's point. Any other spell you cast, you have variation in duration or instant damage (or gold created or whatever). Given that, it does seem a little odd that every ritual cast is worth '1' out of 80. Should Elves be able to get a higher percentage of the ritual completed than say orcs? It does seem less like other utopian mechanics now that it is pointed out, though I'm not sure I'd have ever noticed without someone pointing it out to me.
    No I didnt.

I just see little value in making this spell have a variable percentage increase. Anonymity, shadow light, animate dead do not have this feature.

There is enough variation in rituals with the points mentioned above.

Suggestions are supposed to improve the game. He is making a suggestion that offers no reward from a strategic point and the higher the casts go, the more this feature becomes negligible.
    Last edited by knucksicus; 30-10-2018 at 15:18.

Post Fiend
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just don't think anything on your list addresses Wolzly's original suggestion/issue.

Also, I love the Billy Madison quote ;p

Post Fiend

Yes, I'm pretty sure we all know how computers generate random numbers. WE KNOW IT'S NOT TRULY RANDOM. But practically, it's random.

1. I doubt people will pick races based on the ability to cast rituals. With dragon funding, at least the gc can be used for other things.
    2. There's already Invocation Science if you choose to be better at casting rituals.

Thread Information