Thread: What is the purpose of overpopulation

What is the purpose of overpopulation

I used to play the game but haven't for a while and trying to understand it again.

The implications of overpopulation seem to be quite harsh, given the propensity for warring and the chance some provinces will actually be chained down.

What is the purpose of this in the game? So not the mechanics of it, i can see the formula in the wiki, but why stop provinces that are down from being able to fight back?

Veteran
    Most people don't want to war for a really long time, and if you couldn't take provinces out with chains it would extend wars. There are also a lot of ways to "survive" the chain and still be quite useful.

thanks

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Also, one of the few instances that "reality" makes sense for the game. Land is only able to support so many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Also, one of the few instances that "reality" makes sense for the game. Land is only able to support so many people.
    Lets not mix reality and utopia. Just because there's one example where the comparison fits, it doesn't make it a good argument. Don't get me started on teleporting books...

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Lets not mix reality and utopia. Just because there's one example where the comparison fits, it doesn't make it a good argument. Don't get me started on teleporting books...
    If you're talking about books getting lost on learns, it makes sense. You can only carry so much and if you're making a mad dash away then it's not unreasonable for some books to get lost in transit (whether through falling off the wagons or being pilfered by your own soldiers :D )

Problem is that it begs the question; Why don't we lose the 'clay' they presumably carry back by the same means on a Trad March?

Post Fiend
    This got a bit off topic. Personally I like when things they implement make sense in reality, but meh, it doesn't really matter.

As to why overpopulation exists, it is a way to remove a lot of military from a province. It is (depending on the kd) a very effective way to disable a province, or at least make them choose between offense, defense, thieves and wizards. The alternative I guess would be that if overpopulation didn't exist, people would probably lean more heavily on massacres and T/M ops to hurt provinces. I personally think navigating overpopulation effectively is one of the more entertaining parts of the game... how hard can you get smacked down and still be effective and useful? Can you make them commit more resources to taking you out than they wanted to? Your play in these scenarios can turn the tide of a war.

I sat here wondering how fun it might be if troops never deserted but just died from attacks and ops...
    #magi

Why is this even a thread.

I don't like how the "tutorial" teaches people to avoid seriously chained targets. I never released anything but used my brief promotion to godhood to wreack havoc among those who thought they had me beat. As long as you are able to grab the majority of your land back (if you are strategic and don't just focus one target...you can even come out ahead) keep attacking. An attacker can stay viable with up to 70% of their land in transit. After that you are passed the point of colapse and a real possibility of dieing...
    But until then, you are a god of destruction (if you know what to do with your thieves/mages anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by way2insane View Post
    I don't like how the "tutorial" teaches people to avoid seriously chained targets. I never released anything but used my brief promotion to godhood to wreack havoc among those who thought they had me beat. As long as you are able to grab the majority of your land back (if you are strategic and don't just focus one target...you can even come out ahead) keep attacking. An attacker can stay viable with up to 70% of their land in transit. After that you are passed the point of colapse and a real possibility of dieing...
    But until then, you are a god of destruction (if you know what to do with your thieves/mages anyway).
    Nailed it.
    Nexus - Depravity - Evil Dragons - Pantheon - Elvut - Mercy of Absalom - Pulse - Insolence - Giraffes - L E G A C Y

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    But if your army is out on march, they dont need housing =P

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
    I sat here wondering how fun it might be if troops never deserted but just died from attacks and ops...
    I'd like elites to not abandon but commit suicide as an RPG option, maybe on the province detail screen on the crown page.

Very rarely do I feel underwhelmed by mechanical changes, but uniform abandonment does bother me. It's not that I don't feel peasants, soldiers and specs can't be Kool-Aid drinking fanatics. I imagine elites are part of a vetting process in which I want self-immolating commitment to the cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by StratOcastle View Post
    I'd like elites to not abandon but commit suicide as an RPG option, maybe on the province detail screen on the crown page.
    You could suggest that in the proper part of the forum, as what you want.

...or we could read that in you virtual ''rpg'' kingdom

''13% of our thieves have eaten crap and died during last utopian day.''

Thread Information