Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oversending vs Keeping Elites at Home?

Oversending vs Keeping Elites at Home?

What is the correct way to manage leftover elites? Should they be kept home for additional defence, or should they be out at all times?

As background, I usually send enemy defence + 4% as my offense to break, and whatever leftover elites I have left, I keep at home for additional defence. However I was told that I shouldn't keep the elites at home, as they can be hit by attackers which will kill my offence, and instead I should be sending out all elites either via oversending / conquest attacks and/or bounces, with the aim of having 0 elites home at all times.

I am a bit confused as to the merits of the latter strategy, especially given oversending / conquest brings with it additional casualties which could potentially outweigh the elite loss from them sitting at home. It would be great if someone could shed some light on this.

Post Demon
    it depends on the situation, if you are in a war it is usually best to do sidehits with leftover offenses, do not oversend, even if you hit for maybe 5 acres on a sidehit you still kill some troops which is better than oversending on your main hit. Outside war where risks are diffrent I'd keep the elites at home for the possibility to ambush and because it is not certain that you'll be hit back.

If you got defensive elites it also has a merit to keep the unneeded elites at home especially in war, this is best if you are a tanky race such as Dwarf, or Elf, if you are Orc it is usually best to send out all elites, and if you run something in between like Avian and Human it would depend on your off/def ratio and the situational awareness.

For instance if you run an attacker on 60k def and 250k off the extra def points will hardly help you, whereas if you run 120k off/180k def keeping a few elites at home might mean some of the opponents can't hit you, it is also worth it if you can prevent people from dubble or tripple hitting you so even on an offensive heavy setup leaving a few elites at home might be worth it at times although in wars as mentioned earlier try to find a way to use all offenses by doing sidehits.
    Furthermore I think Carthage should be destroyed and Dryads brought back to the game

Needs to get out more
    The problem is shared with your leadership as well. This doesn't mean they are a problem, it means they may not be aware of individual micro in province management.

A common scenario in good kingdoms is the offensive excess is used to target bigger enemies. For example, let's say you have that 250k offense and the designated target is at roughly 50k defense. You would attack 3 times, but in a good kingdom they would probably have you send the bulk leftover 100k vs an opponent with a higher defense.

This is only one reason why some kingdoms are worse than others. As you, the OP stated, there's a relative loss when over sending. There are also penalties for hitting out of range, but the strategic gains are potentially great. A most common utility of excess offense vs high range opponents is the raze option. This type of attack moves at the same speed as trad march, inflicts significant damage and cannot be ambushed. By razing an opponent in war we reduce their max population while compromising important buildings like WT, guilds, etc.

It is usually more efficient to envelope enemy defenses within the reach of your offense rather than squander your numbers on targets you can readily break. This coincides with many ghettos losing wars because they never break t/ms. It runs deep.

My comments are auxiliary to what Madchess posted. I'm simply expanding on the ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Post Fiend
    If you can already 4tap the highest def prov and still have leftover offense, then release some and put them into peasantry to boost income or train some more def.

Strategy Moderator
    dont release offense...bad move. as for oversending. depends. if i was an orc or avain though i'd send out all leets 100% of the time though, not worth the risk for small def boost

Post Fiend
    I would cap myself at sending up to 110% def. More than that, I'd rather hit another target or if you have grown so big, you might as well pump thieves/peasants/def but most likely it'll be WD soon anyway.

Post Fiend
    104.34 is prime hit (that is 104.34% of targets defence) ... i think its 104.341 and after that i am unsure ... oversending is a situational decision that should generally be avoided unless you are avoiding Meteor Showers or some such

someone did the math a long time ago, and thats not the number they came up with for 100% 'safe' sends, its close tho

Post Fiend
    I send 103% cuz I like living on the edge.

Post Fiend
    I know it as 104.341 somethingsomething ... who is someone and what is apparently precise then?

The wiki shows full maths for it if i am not mistaken

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
    The wiki shows full maths for it if i am not mistaken
    Mod Off = Mod Def * 1.040362694

i sent 1.04 every time myself

Post Demon
    I just eyeball to go a bit over every time, only when cutting it to tight, mostly with sidehits cause I want to use all 4 gennerals have ever failed.
    Furthermore I think Carthage should be destroyed and Dryads brought back to the game

Post Fiend
    Cheers Persain! I dont check Wiki - thought it was full of errors as anybody can change its show information
    Last edited by .:. The Moon .:.; 14-11-2018 at 08:45. Reason: Stupidity

I will checked other info

Thread Information