Thread: What Utopia needs 1 - Mechanism of warring

What Utopia needs 1 - Mechanism of warring

Utopia is a way past ancient from the time it is developed, till now, if it is going to be continued, drawing in new blood, you must know what it lacks of, what it needs, not to compete, but to stand a place in the gaming world that it could still make it succeed in the future.

Look at this way. A game was developed. It will not be perfect upon its first launch. Flaws and mistakes will be found and thus be improved, until it reach a stage that not necessary near to perfection, but less errors and more satisfaction in playing. Upon reaching this stage so, the game will expand more features, again, experiment it on the launch, revised, improved, and the circle keeps going on.

Therefore if the game is developing and improving, you will see one thing on it - expansion. But Utopia didn't do much on that. Several features were added yes, but in comparison to those years that it exist, it becomes insignificant.

From the first day Utopia was launched, there are 3 ways of playing it. Attacker, Mage, or Thief. Hybrid is something that players add on later on. How to play? By hitting provinces in different kingdoms, kingdoms wars, tm ops, and so on.

The attack time is not controllable. If a hit was made and it is meant to return 10 hours later, one has to set the alarm to wake up in the midnight, just to play the game - Utopia.

Trust me, this way is a part of a reason that kills the players because the way of playing wars in Utopia - is very tiring. You make the people who plays the game tired, logical sense you will lose more than you could keep them.

I have told and advised the Utopia team to come up with a solution on this, but till this day they still stick to the old way of playing. Modifying values and formulas will not do the job. You have to change the entire warring mechanism.

A few suggestions I proposed to the team. The method maybe wrong, unsuitable, flawed and mistaken, but the point is, to make the people who play the game, relax and not to tire themselves out. Any suggestion or solutions will be fine as long as they are moving in this direction.

Proposed Solution no 1:
    Give the ability the player to set an attack like you set an alarm. Well I know attacks in Utopia made heavily depends on intel and the current state of your prov, but it is better than none. So they do not need to wake up in the midnight just to make one hit. They can oversent their offense, or make fail hits, doesn't matter, as long as they keep their elites out and contribute more activity a kingdom needs when they are in warring, without affecting the players in real life a lot.

Many games could somehow, a little or a lot, affect the quality of a gamer in their real life. Utopia should not be, because, how to put this. It is in naturally speaking, it should not be. It should be the kind of game that should not tire people out. The kind of what Utopia game should be, it should be the exception of that, an example, a choice, that gamer could pick to play a game which has very less affection to their real life.

The more flexibility you could provide to the game without much harming the game play itself, the better.

Proposed Solution no 2:
    Eliminate the feature of "Attack Time".

It is not actually that you eliminate attack time totally, it is still there, but the point is, the players can recall their armies back, ANYTIME they want.

How do I get my idea on this? The +1/+2 hour attack time, result with more gain. So I am thinking, if you can decide how many acres one could get based on attack time, why don't you just make it totally flexible for your players?

Example: Let's say an Avian attack time is fast. For 7 hours, it could get a 100% acres in gaining. If you +2 hours more make it 9 hours, it returned with more acres.
    An Orc, 10 hours for 100% acres gain, and so on.

So let's say I sent out an army to hit a target. I can recall my army back anytime I want. How long my armies been out for the attack I made before I called them back, how much acres I could gain by then.

So let's say I made an attack at 7pm. For the old way, the attack takes 9h so that means I have to wake up 4am in the morning just to attack again. If flexibility is given to me, I can recall my army back at 12am before I go to sleep, make an attack again and in the next morning when I am available for a quick login, I will recall it again, and make a hit again.

The damage done on troops casualty, acres gained, is all depends on how long the army is out. If it is 5 hours, then I get 5 hours acre gained. The point is, I can login anytime to make a hit anytime I want, without needing to look at the clock, set an alarm everyday just to play a game.

The people around me will think that I am a maniac who treat playing game so serious you know.

Post Fiend
    Regarding your two suggestions ...

The game is hard to play ... people quit and then come back due to addiction - i have heard players describe it as a love/hate relationship ... having a powerful impact upon your life (making your own attacks at 4am instead of sleeping - or having game do it for you as you suggest) is just a price of playing the game ... it is a part of the experience IMO. Not to be altered ... there is too much of 'making the game easier for players' ...

Post Fiend
    "If a hit was made and it is meant to return 10 hours later, one has to set the alarm to wake up in the midnight, just to play the game - Utopia."

That is not true.Just hit earlier or later or even add hours,better yet just stick to and elf myst and put ms on ppl and do FBs if attacking doesnt fit you.

"Trust me, this way is a part of a reason that kills the players because the way of playing wars in Utopia - is very tiring. You make the people who plays the game tired, logical sense you will lose more than you could keep them."

I dont trust you and no1 else should either judging by what crap you write.This game takes minimal amount of time to play on comparison to others (even browser games).

"I have told and advised the Utopia team to come up with a solution on this, but till this day they still stick to the old way of playing. Modifying values and formulas will not do the job. You have to change the entire warring mechanism."

Good they ignore you.Wars makes people active and interested more into playing the game,not bored.
    Last edited by Snp; 17-11-2018 at 06:17.

Post Fiend
    Your suggestion will break the game. It took me literally 1 second to think of the following:

- Attack someone in the beginning of the age.
    - Be chainbait.
    - When you need acres, recall the army back. Total attack time = 500 hours. You get hundreds of acres.

Another scenario:

- Your KD got waved.
    - The attacking KD never recalled the troops.
    - You enter into a war with another KD.
    - The first KD suddenly recalled all their troops. Attack time = 500 hours. Your KD lost 80% of total acres. 5 people got PKed due to timezones.
    - Turns out the two KDs are allies.

Post Fiend
    It is fathomable as a thought but i think it akin to auto-aim on a FPS ... it would take alot of the fun out of the game. But Returner you seem truly keen on the game ... kudos. Personally i think altering it too much will harm it...
    Last edited by .:. The Moon .:.; 17-11-2018 at 06:52. Reason: Free will

Regular
    Assuming there's still a max attack time, I can see solution #2 being viable in some way or another.

Where the problem lies: Any decent KD plays off of return times on key provs. If I can ensure that I recall in time to prevent rogues/heretics/attackers/etc getting after my prov w/ army home, then it takes a huge risk out of the game. Being chained and still able to hit out with inc acres? Recall and hit x4 with much better gains for your off/NW.. chain nullified.

The concept of the idea is solid, but I don't see a way to keep it from being exploited entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Snowstorm View Post
    I don't know who you ghetto noobs are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for free acres, I can tell you I don't have any for you... but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for noobs like you. If you CF now, that will be the end of it - I will not look for you, I will not pursue you... but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you... and I will razekill you.

Post Fiend
    Heck, even the current system is exploitable. We instruct all of our chainbaits to anon max hit before wars and make sure the army arrives the tick after declare.

Post Fiend
    the recallable army/timed thing could actually work..

your 'base' attack time determines how fast your armies work (rax = faster rate of conquest?)
    ie..
    every tick enemy armies are in your province you lose some % of your acres per tick.. invasion shows on kd news, land lost per tick on personal news.
    ambush could change to a repel attack that drives the enemy out of your lands early, and they lose control of 1/2 of what they had taken so far on their way out.

gains could be a function of how powerful the enemy army is vs yours.. casualties happen each tick.
    a 'tough' battle wouldn't gain as much acres for enemy per tick as oversend/extreme oversend would. but their losses would be much higher on higher oversends.
    casualties would overall be able the same as a similar attack now, but divided per tick..

early recall loses whatever gains they had for that tick + double the recalled army expected casualties from that tick.

should function no different than if you had option of +2 to -10hrs when sending an attack..

Forum Addict
    Its worth a thought if the idea can be refined. Playing on a mobile is horrible and a lot of folk can't play from work. Very few new people want to join a text game and set an alarm.

Forum Fanatic
    May be the mobile as i play from mobile more than computer, As mentioned above you can adjust your times to work around schedules aswell as they already gave in to 1 day sitting so people dont have to set a alarm if they dont want to.

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by elmoheadbutt View Post
    Your suggestion will break the game. It took me literally 1 second to think of the following:

- Attack someone in the beginning of the age.
    - Be chainbait.
    - When you need acres, recall the army back. Total attack time = 500 hours. You get hundreds of acres.

Another scenario:

- Your KD got waved.
    - The attacking KD never recalled the troops.
    - You enter into a war with another KD.
    - The first KD suddenly recalled all their troops. Attack time = 500 hours. Your KD lost 80% of total acres. 5 people got PKed due to timezones.
    - Turns out the two KDs are allies.
    You totally miss the point. You may not like his suggested solutions. Of course his mechanics changes aren't great, and maybe more work needs to go thinking of different mechanics, or maybe more rules would make them work better. It doesn't matter. His point is that it is an issue having to wake up in the middle of the night or go to the bathroom to hit during work, or whatever other scheduling conflicts arise. It is naturally going to hinder a lot of people from playing at a high level, and that will absolutely deter at least some people from playing. The question for us (at least in the context of this suggestion), is do we care? Are we ok with ~3k active players slowly dwindling until the game dies in several years? Or is it worth a risky big change to try and make the game more playable to grow the player base, which might fail and make half the players leave now. It's a tough question, but a fair one to ask imo.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder TA View Post
    May be the mobile as i play from mobile more than computer, As mentioned above you can adjust your times to work around schedules aswell as they already gave in to 1 day sitting so people dont have to set a alarm if they dont want to.
    Sitters does help this not be as much of an issue. However, I'd prefer it wasn't behind a paywall. I know I won't pick up a new game and put money into something like that very quickly.

Regular
    I like the suggestions but as seen they are easily foiled. Please don't stop offering ideas because you are right; the game needs to expand some how in order to draw in more people. The best idea I've seen is a mobile version. I think removing the 4am attacks would change too much of the game and it is that aspect of the game that top KDs win on.

Post Fiend
    There's already attack time modifiers from -2 to +4.

Thread Information