Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Age 79 Utopia Aftermath (the most disappointing age ever. )

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums

Post Demon
    one loophole is the cf mechanic, I get waved and don't want to fight, no ops just 7 hits for max gains with +4 hours, 3 hours later declare cf as we are not hostile and the opponents armies are still out so they won't get to ambush, atleast going to make a horrible change less horrible as you can fight back like this, only drag is now the defending kd might get ops instead of the attacking.

I guess they figured the changes would make a bit of cash from fustrated monarchs constantly having to purchase meter.
    Furthermore I think Carthage should be destroyed and Dryads brought back to the game

I like to post
    Quote Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
    I wish I had more to say -- I'm too bewildered right now, and shocked, to give my beloved Utopia a proper eulogy.
    I can confirm here is life after Utopia. Don't get so depressed!
    “the mystery of life isn’t a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune

“I should've suspected trouble when the coffee failed to arrive.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune

Quote Originally Posted by Elit View Post
    I can confirm here is life after Utopia. Don't get so depressed!
    Thanks for taking time to share some encouragement. :)

Edit 1: I just wanted to add, although, its sad to see the death of Utopia take place in such a manner, I'm not really depressed. I didn't get to achieve some of my goals in Utopia; and now I never will be able too. Sure it is disappointing, but it is what it is -- I can just move on now; because, even if I achieved those goals, in this new game masquerading as Utopia, it wouldn't mean anything to me.
    Last edited by khronosschoty; 18-11-2018 at 15:47. Reason: See "Edit 1"
    #magi

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Madchess View Post
    @Persain you are misunderstanding my point, what I'm saying is do not expect to get wars from waving for land or science, people who think they can wave and get a war out of this are greedy because they want both a war and the resurces they have taken, such situations rarely gets to war as it is not a situation where the defending kd is nessesarily in agreement or even have an advantage.
    no i know your point im saying a kd who waves out is inherently taking a risk in that they have some low incoming or dont have the protection in war provides. To open yourself up like that AND then be punished with mechanics designed to stop bullying when a kd decides to fight back against it is ridiculous so ridiculous that

I just wanted to add, although, its sad to see the death of Utopia take place in such a manner, I'm not really depressed. I didn't get to achieve some of my goals in Utopia; and now I never will be able too. Sure it is disappointing, but it is what it is -- I can just move on now; because, even if I achieved those goals, in this new game masquerading as Utopia, it wouldn't mean anything to me.
    stuff like this is laughable. Litteraly the only thing changing is u cant forever op someone and the game shifts to actual fights deserve a war stance. While the mechanics of this game often change to say this game isnt utopia anymore when less changes than any of the big changes in the past is just wrong. You wanna know things that have had more of an inpact, science changes every time, honor change from fame, boats, war win bonus, no fake wars new code with tick, removal of gains from pool when hitting....the list could go on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Persain View Post
    no i know your point im saying a kd who waves out is inherently taking a risk in that they have some low incoming or dont have the protection in war provides. To open yourself up like that AND then be punished with mechanics designed to stop bullying when a kd decides to fight back against it is ridiculous so ridiculous that

stuff like this is laughable. Litteraly the only thing changing is u cant forever op someone and the game shifts to actual fights deserve a war stance. While the mechanics of this game often change to say this game isnt utopia anymore when less changes than any of the big changes in the past is just wrong. You wanna know things that have had more of an inpact, science changes every time, honor change from fame, boats, war win bonus, no fake wars new code with tick, removal of gains from pool when hitting....the list could go on and on.
    Your attempt to rationalize away, to down play the changes, to define these changes in the manner you are trying to -- is cute; but inaccurate. These changes make almost all situations black n white -- war or don't war. These changes remove diversity of tactics from the game -- they make even a simple action like stealing gold move the meter.
    Last edited by khronosschoty; 18-11-2018 at 17:16. Reason: s/trying/attempt\ to/g
    #magi

Strategy Moderator
    Your attempt at rationalize away, to down play the changes, to define these changes in the manner you are trying to -- is cute; but inaccurate. These games make almost all situations black n white -- war or don't war. These changes remove diversity of tactics from the game -- they make even a simple action like stealing gold move the meter.
    no it makes the game take hostile actions towards war. if u dont want to war there are still plenty of options to do stuff and plenty of ways to still grief people. Maybe a 15 point meter is a bit low with ops moving the meter but thats a fine balance that can be tweaked. Like i repeat how is this a bigger effect on the game than the introduction of the war win bonus and the official stance of the game that u arent to use "war" to pump/dodge..people might not of been a huge fan of that but there is a lot more "this isnt the same game" now than back then. I mean if u look at how the playerbase uses war these changes are right in line with that, the fact u dont like that any hostile action u do helps lead you to war doesnt mean its a real change from the way the game has worked (see things like "retal war" which now just go into war v happens outside of war)

edit...and i point again to the fact that the "remove tactics" your crying about is/was abusing mechanics in ways they weren't ment to. GBP was never meant to give one side an advantage in a fight, it was meant to stop bullying---cf's now do that. I'd point to this the same way of other changes like when nightmares were introduced and perminately removed military. NM war designed in a attackers have overpop, theifs ns, magic should be able to remove military oops not how we wanted so we'll make it temporary. "omg game has changed" these changes arent even on par with that.
    Last edited by Persain; 18-11-2018 at 17:30.

Would you feel better if they coded it softly? Mink could strap some cotton balls to his finger tips!
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    Would you feel better if they coded it softly? Mink could strap some cotton balls to his finger tips!
    hahahahahaa. This is great octo.
    “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
    - unknown

Strategy Moderator
    correct it doesnt always happen, but it does. i was about 24 hours away from pking people this past age as a kd wouldnt cf and kept oping after we random'ed them x3 by 3 people for some science and then exchanged a few hits enough to push meter to 20 points. Similarrly its been 2 ages buut i've been waved for 36 waves for science by asshole kds plenty in the past.

Point is the mechanics added as far as war goes literally just say if u want to war start fighting, if u dont want to war u can either do what we've done in the past and send a cf that can be accepted when the wave is over or u have to wait out few hours of attacking before you get a 3 days cf. And if the kd your hitting has completely afk leadership wait out ops an day and u can put up a cf.

How does that drastically change anything for the vast majority of kds? The only 2 really limiting thing i see is 1. you have 3 hours to wave instead of 6-8 that some weaker kds took in the past and 2. A setup like that is mostly rogue/mystic/heretic that gets waved relies on MASS GBP and 1/2 damage of SW/ET pre war to sit and op u for days while doing LL+hopeing (even if they'd claim not) that the agressor gets outside hits as they get weakened is flat out shut down. That sems like a reasonable compromise....i.e. if u wanna op someone to **** war en and do it in war.

Enthusiast
    I'm just not a fan of a "hardcore strategy game" removing some strategies and forcing you to play a certain way.

Strategy Moderator
    mm....play a certain way, u mean like taking a fight to war v never geting into war? the game already forced 2 fighting kds into war it just took like 100+ hits to do it and now its helping facilitate the protection war stance gives by pushing any 2 fighting kds into that faster. it seems reasonable to me. you fight u go to war. Since they introduced no fake wars and the war win bonus its basically always been like that anytime 2 kds actively engage they enter war....why should mechanics meant to protect kds from griefing or bullying be used to gain an advantage over a kd you fully intend to war?

Similarly the cf stuff you already said "they always fold and send a C.F.. " so how do the new mechanics alter that for you? literally all its doing is forcing it a bit sooner, i mean they lowered learns gains AND u get 1/2 troop damage on learn so its much much less painless if the aggressor kd just wants some science. Theres still a ton of ways to mess with someone by say hiting into a war, scewing with them, cfing pumping breaking the cf. I get people aren't likely "new mechanics" but as i said before the only thing being "Forced" is a fight that is a war is now handled in the war stance, why is that so terrible?

Needs to get out more
    My whole play style is predicated on letting a logistically superior kingdom/provinces hit first. As a player who never moves with offensive aggression the mechanics offer me choices that aren't thrilling.

I use to random attack and join organized kingdoms but most of that time was spent playing in ways I felt was bad for the player base. The random attacks were to keep army out or grow on demand. I found I no longer needed to grow from targeting some poor soul and splitting his skull to progress in science or acreage. Using bots and 3rd party chats just to play cookie cutter madness with a preselected race and personality caused boredom.

My decision was to play pure retal out of war with a race and personality of my choosing. This way, only enemies that felt tough enough to attack me were subject to reprisals. I'm not mean spirited and see most interactions as sport. I'm use to being attacked by 3 different enemies from 3 different kingdoms at a time and going to war without recovery.

All the mechanics for pump and readiness are nice for neatness OCD but shouldn't leak into the aggressive blunders these kingdoms make diplomatically. If I could find 24 psychopaths to join me then these mechanics would never be noticed. Sadly, the majority of players are driven by a desire to stack resources rather than experience high adventure.

The only reason I ever rate is to confirm I know how to play, and I do it without vulturing. I even sent a CF to a kingdom we were retal warring 2 ages ago because I sensed, while they were our superior they didn't want this. I think it's important to leave decision making to those who have empathy. The player base requires nurturing. It may not survive, but I'd like it to linger for a while.

It comes down to players listening to their inner voice and understanding levels of aggression. The CF mechanics reflect the game as full of overly competitive uncles and highschool bullies that can't handle social norms. In conversations I've had with monarchs the majority are reasonable. When I have run across angry monarchs I let them know I'm not a monster and prefer peace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

As Justin Timberlake would say, cry me a river... khrono
    Redwood Originals ~Lowriders for life

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DM_Benjamin View Post
    As Justin Timberlake would say, cry me a river... khrono
    Sure, just stick with that thought as we lose 100 players per age

Thread Information