Thread: Which Paladin spells do you actually end up using?

Regular

Which Paladin spells do you actually end up using?

Which paladin spells do you often use or want to have cast on your province if you are not a paladin?

Given the duration of the spells as well as the success rate, I feel that a lot of them are not practical. I'll give my opinion on what I think of the spells below and so on, but I'd also like to hear anyone else's opinion and how they use these spells in what situations. My perspective is from a Paladin that casts spells on KDmates often. I don't expect 1 paladin to cover 24 other provs.

• Paladin's Inspiration - Standard fare. Anyone who doesn't have Inspire Army wants it (Avian, Faery, Halfling and Orc this age benefit the most).
    • Scientific Insight - Can be used to bounce or boost offense to help break something. Avian Paladins can probably use it with Fanaticism to buff several attackers higher than they normally could achieve.
    • Illuminate Shadows - Duration is too short. Would benefit from longer duration or lower difficulty. Feels like it's designed to be tossed on ops target as it's not worth spreading out.
    • Wrathful Smite - Tossed on chain target, got it. Lower difficulty would make it more appealing due to NW differences in a chained target.
    • Divine Shield - Probably useless for most provinces since it won't make 1.5 WPA any better against ops from a TM. Higher duration would be great or make it like Illuminate Shadows where it reduces damage from spells by a percentage. Better if it affects MS.
    • Magic Ward - Will only want to cast this on a Mystic or Heretic. I'm not sure if most paladins will get insane WPA to match it. Lower difficulty would be nice.
    • Barrier of Integrity - Sorta works like Chastity. Lock down landfat targets from increasing army without having to do the whole firebally chastity thing.

Overall, Paladins aren't Mystics in terms of WPA generation and bonuses so they could stand to have easier spells with longer durations for some. I would personally prefer that inter-KD buffs don't require a WPA check at all. You're already helping a friend. Why would his wizards counter your attempts? Paladins could also probably benefit a lot from a +1 mana/tick buff. Also feel free to correct me if I made any mistakes with the mechanics. I'm no pro.

Strategy Moderator
    i cast PI on anyone who forgot to train on time during eowcf or who we're trying to boost to ub.

i cast SI before nm waves and after chained for extra wpa/pop space

IS i keep 24/7 on my kd.

WS if im around when i see a deep chain

Needs to get out more
    Ran paladin twice, but only ages when the shared spell casting was moved to faery.

Scientific Insight is the best spell in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Post Demon
    We had 2 paladins last age, one halfing and me as an avian/paladin fought and won 3/3

In wars I'd maintain GP on low def t/m's and try to keep smite on core attackers if unsure who was going to get chained while often adding smite after a few attacks at most to chain targets, I'd also try to buff those chained with GP while our Halfing added Town watch when he was arround.
    I used PI when mana permitted on unchained attackers and sometimes on those recovering from a chain, whilst I provided some of our attackers with Fanactism uppon requests.
    I also provided our dwarf/mystic with Illuminate shadows early age and tried to sometimes get this on provinces that was getting targetted for chaining.
    In warending we covered all with no access to IA with PI once it was time to train. SI I mostly cast on myself.
    Outside war I'd smite as many as possible of our core if we got waved.

To sum it up as an attacking paladin using PI, Smite and racial spells to aid kingdom fellors while SI and Divine shield was primarely used on myself, offensive spells was not used at all although I did try to cast magic ward on the lone paladin that our opponents in the last war had, he was not an attacker so it did not work out.
    Other than that I pumped production science so high that I was always out of mana and aided our mystics/heretics runes while in war, ran more defensive setup than most for beeing able to toss specs at dragon with increased efficiency but was therefore not targetted for chains which meant I could keep on producing 7-10k runes a tic and send out to our t/m's.

This is for running attacker and support, made 2nd for uniques in first war, 1st in second and joint 1st in our last war so it was not dragging down the Avian main role which is to attack as often as possible I rarely had much spare mana in war which I would have had with a pure attacker setup. I was lacking somewhat in offenses compared to size, but we had a mostly orc core that made up for this, so the sum of each part worked well together you can say.

Curious how most of our opponents had paladin on their monarchs and on t/m based provinces rather than attackers, I feel that it was a bit wasted on t/m's as you would preferable have a personality that could help with ops, and mana is a limmited resurce that you would prefer to use offensively rather than defensively.
    I'm quite sure in our kingdom I did arround 80-90% of all selfspells done on kingdom fellors, so it is a matter of how you want to use it I guess, for t/m's it is best to do the occasionally emergency spell, so your kingdom will get less support from a t/m paladin, whilst an attacking paladin will be suitable for kingdoms that relies a bit more on supportive spells.

Since you already know an attacking Paladin wll be less good as a heavy attacker running it alongside dwarf, avian or an attacking elf is probably best, whilst it can work with human and orc that would be the same as putting it on a faery or halfing, it will be trying to play a combination that is not the natural choice for that race which might leads to it beeing wasted or utilized less optimally.
    Furthermore I think Carthage should be destroyed and Dryads brought back to the game

Needs to get out more
    Paladin lends itself to the zone tactics I use where stabilizing midrange acres is integral to the strategy.

Perhaps I'm too lazy to design an orc paladin, but I've been running across orcs with alternative builds the last few ages. I'm thinking I can use those builds as a rough draft and connect the dots. While orcs have science deficits they're also the most capable of learn attacking t/ms who might parallel their science distribution.

I've nothing to add insofar as spell distribution that hasn't been mentioned. It's that attacker based paladins will be more effective with methodical nw/acre management which makes chain philosophy inappropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

PI on anyone who runs 200% wages

Late game SI on every TM 24/7

DS on Rogues post wizpump

IS on request if someone catches ops in news

WS on obvious chain targets

Otherwise mostly racials like TW+GP depending on what paladin played

Never used BoI or MW

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    PI on anyone who runs 200% wages

Late game SI on every TM 24/7

DS on Rogues post wizpump

IS on request if someone catches ops in news

WS on obvious chain targets

Otherwise mostly racials like TW+GP depending on what paladin played

Never used BoI or MW
    I'm using BOI right now and I'm getting like 2 hour duration casts. :(

Post Demon
    But do you run it on a t/m based setup or as an attacker? it should be fairly oblious that attackers are best of sticking to defensive paladin spells while t/m's might use the offensive ones in their arsenal, if getting 2 hours on say 3 wpa at this point, then it probably is only really worth it in case you let a few opponents grow to hollow them out, and in combination with chastity, fireballs and explosions to prevent any growth in population happening for a while.
    Furthermore I think Carthage should be destroyed and Dryads brought back to the game

Quote Originally Posted by Madchess View Post
    But do you run it on a t/m based setup or as an attacker? it should be fairly oblious that attackers are best of sticking to defensive paladin spells while t/m's might use the offensive ones in their arsenal, if getting 2 hours on say 3 wpa at this point, then it probably is only really worth it in case you let a few opponents grow to hollow them out, and in combination with chastity, fireballs and explosions to prevent any growth in population happening for a while.
    Imo non-attacker Paladins is a huge waste of space. Or do you mean with a KD with alot of attackers vs TMs?

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Madchess View Post
    Just using 1.5 wpa on it atm, but the duration is really short. I don't plan on getting anything crazy like 4 wpa raw D:

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ryvrdrgn14 View Post
    Just using 1.5 wpa on it atm, but the duration is really short. I don't plan on getting anything crazy like 4 wpa raw D:
    3 raw with 150% magic science can cast on elf duke mystic with 400% science at about 60-70% success rate fyi for the pali selfies

Enthusiast
    My only rule: SI on self before casting spells

All other spells are situational depending on the recipient, situation and the timing of the spell.
    A outerworld vagabond Elf traveling this world.
    From the world of Thardferr, herald of the Eldar Elven Kingdoms
    Elven Roles sense Age 63: Sage, Mystic, Rogue, Tactician, Cleric, Merchant, Heretic, War Hero, Warrior, Paladin, Undead, Artisan, Raider

Thread Information