Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running a Kingdom without addons

Post Fiend

Running a Kingdom without addons

Are there thoughts on the running of Kingdoms in the current gaming environment with naught but what the game itself includes - no chat, addons, bots etc ... i myself wish to play this way. There is minimal time difference between PMing people and Chat Rooming for conversation and within the Forum and the Monarchs own mind there should be room enough for planning IMO. Top kds swear by addons and obligatory chat room lurking but then fail to even have Defensive Magic cast - is the server not full of mindlessly downloading complacent players? Can a Kingdom play "old school" these days?
    Last edited by .:. The Moon .:.; 20-11-2018 at 05:31. Reason: Watch Leonids and Geminids

Post Fiend
    Side question - can not information be falsified and fed into Munkbot and Upoopu ... thereby destroying its validity?

Regular
    "old school" I thought was all about pimp and utopia angel....so how old school are you going?

Personally, I like the discord add on since I am reachable that way. I don't need to consistently check my browser for forum posts or mail. I am warming up to munk; I'll save my critiques as this isn't the place.

Post Fiend
    Pimp and Angel were never seen as quite so mandatory amongst the collected Kingdoms of the server ... as Ages continue it seems finding a Kingdom that will abide your "add-onless" presence is rarwr than it once was...

You dont like checking the browser (the game itself) and using PM and Forum? That there is what i meant by "old school" - just playing the raw game itself.

(Im not sure of the future of Munk (item not creator) as it seems the latest add on shows up every couple of years ... but yes, time will tell.)

Itd be fun IMO to play in a KD that had more old fashioned habits ...

Regular
    well, the game was different then too. You didn't need to log on as frequently. So yes, I could be more inclined to join this, if there wasn't so much incentive to log on tick-ly. With the current science state, its beneficial to be online often.

I certainly understand your desires though.

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BigShotFancyMan View Post
    well, the game was different then too.
    disagree back then there wasnt whatsapp/cellphones as commonplace and easy so the expectation was almost that u had to be online constantly if u wanted to be super competitive. i mean in one of my first competitive kds they had 20/25 online 24/7 on irc, now utopia is almost if im needed badly someone can poke me.

As for playing w/out ANY addons. yes/no. The in game features do have reverb chat so if u wanted to do a quick hey i have a question or "i need wages to attack it can be done there. Similiarlly pms and monarch msg can convey a general war plan and the in game espisonage page is how my kd tracks riots/ms as its actually "Easier" than tracking via slack/discord... so yea everything is there a kd can be run, and run somewhat effectively.

However what u'll miss out w/out the extra features is the team building and sense of community that the 3rd party stuff adds on. Thats honestly what really makes utopia, i mean even back when kds used icq, aim, ms messenger instead of irc the kd building and cooperation u end up with when someone can read back what they are missing or get a quick response to a pm live (v refreshing waiting for a msg in game) does add alot and would not just make youre kd better but more fun. even back in the 20's when i was in a kd that used pimp or 40's using shrimp being able to see kd wide intell as a player made me feel more of a part of the kd, let me see how we were matching up against the kd we were oping/hitting. if all i had to look at was the current stuff in game....meh i'd be a lot less connected to utopia as a whole

You know the big difference why there was 20 people idling on IRC 24/7 before? Cause we were students back then now we grown up with job and family's and ****.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Persain View Post
    disagree back then there wasnt whatsapp/cellphones as commonplace and easy so the expectation was almost that u had to be online constantly if u wanted to be super competitive. i mean in one of my first competitive kds they had 20/25 online 24/7 on irc, now utopia is almost if im needed badly someone can poke me.
    I thought about that when I went to bed that top kingdoms probably had players online the better part of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    You know the big difference why there was 20 people idling on IRC 24/7 before? Cause we were students back then now we grown up with job and family's and ****.
    Makes ya wonder how much the player base is made up of newer players. It because of these facts I like the add ons, help assist with the game to spend more time with the fam.

Needs to get out more
    My old iPad makes using discord/whatsapp and most bots impossible. I've got a Microsoft surface and an Apple laptop, but I like using my iPad.

If the kingdoms I occupy would get over being shy mutes I'd be able to soldier block for them and MV garbage ops from the kingdom chat.

From a real intel standpoint I miss Pimp. I know enough about enemy behavior that in-depth bots are not just unnecessary, but rather distracting for me. I understand why all you Borg like plugging in, it's just not my style.

Honestly, I added 3rd party chat and bots to my challenge idiom list of "things not to do".
    It's clear to me that most players see these as advantages so I don't use them to offer my enemies more advantage.

So I never attack unprovoked of my own volition.
    I don't use bots, but may contribute intel via kingdom forum for my kingdom.
    I don't use 3rd party com.
    I retaliate strongest to weakest kingdom, and may not even retal small kingdoms.
    I don't believe in CF. I believe in war or walking away. I will offer CF to the Kool-aid community if I begin to feel bad for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Quote Originally Posted by .:. The Moon .:. View Post
    Side question - can not information be falsified and fed into Munkbot and Upoopu ... thereby destroying its validity?
    You can but it isn't regularly practiced outside of myself.

1) shut mink off
    2) copy page from game to notepad
    3) edit page
    4) copy and paste into bot via web page
    5) watch player flip out when the bot tells him he got hit
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

old skool so you meen running icq 24/7 and having a microsoft spread sheet on Archfiend's site ?
    IMPERIALS KLA

Enthusiast
    old school forces you to learn properly, and be patient.
    The intel systems thing is "nice" but not critical due to the ingame intel page.
    the kingdom chat, kingdom msg, forums and private msg is good enough for 99% of communication plus phone numbers for emergency calls.
    A outerworld vagabond Elf traveling this world.
    From the world of Thardferr, herald of the Eldar Elven Kingdoms
    Elven Roles sense Age 63: Sage, Mystic, Rogue, Tactician, Cleric, Merchant, Heretic, War Hero, Warrior, Paladin, Undead, Artisan, Raider

Post Fiend
    Old school = worse. Sorry, it just does. Remember copying and pasting intel into the forums? That was efficient. Plus, you can get discord or other chat apps in your browser without downloading anything, so it literally requires you to have nothing extra you didn't have to play utopia.

While i would agree it would be nice if we had all the tools and better chat and data collection built into the game, if you plan to play at more than the extreme ghetto, at least another chat app and probably munk or something else for collecting intel just makes your kingdom much better at the game.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by luke3 View Post
    Old school = worse. Sorry, it just does. Remember copying and pasting intel into the forums? That was efficient. Plus, you can get discord or other chat apps in your browser without downloading anything, so it literally requires you to have nothing extra you didn't have to play utopia.

While i would agree it would be nice if we had all the tools and better chat and data collection built into the game, if you plan to play at more than the extreme ghetto, at least another chat app and probably munk or something else for collecting intel just makes your kingdom much better at the game.
    He isnt saying going old school for the sake of old school, he is saying playing old school to force good play.

What the freak use is a intel program when the attackers dont get SoT, or when the pally dont buff your kingdom, or not getting a SoM before hitting and bouncing (that or using the Munk's auto fill which bounces almost every 10ish hits).
    Also what use is lurking in the chat rooms? It does nothing. You have wave times that your attackers should be matching. T/M they have the orders to work on, and there is also the ingame chat.

TBH, using the 3rd party stuff is a crutch if you haven't learned the game properly.
    A outerworld vagabond Elf traveling this world.
    From the world of Thardferr, herald of the Eldar Elven Kingdoms
    Elven Roles sense Age 63: Sage, Mystic, Rogue, Tactician, Cleric, Merchant, Heretic, War Hero, Warrior, Paladin, Undead, Artisan, Raider

Regular
    eh, I've always enjoyed or thought a third party app to track T/M ops to be very beneficial.

Thread Information