Thread: Age 86 Race/pers suggestions

Age 86 Race/pers suggestions

Changelog:

Avian: +1 to elite offense and nw and cost up slightly, added -5% gains penalty
    Orc: draft cost down to -50% from -75%, draft speed down to +20% from +30%

-----------------------------

Haven't simmed all these out yet, so there might be some rough edges that need a touch of tuning, but this is the general direction I was thinking.

General:

ToG removed (hate having to balance fae around that)
    SI duration down to 2-3 ticks, difficulty and cost as patriotism, no longer a support spell, on sage
    DS makes a return as a support spell
    Heavy offense elites slightly weaker defensively

Elf

Direction: efficient defensive support caster. Tanky dspecs and elites, efficient casting, casting on mates. Great early age mystic and all age tanky caster.

50% runes refunded on successful spells
    Can cast spells on mates
    +2 dspec

+20% explore cost

13/7 elite 8nw 1000gc
    Spellbook: MA, chastity

Halfling

Direction: raw pop bonus instead of homes bonus allows more exploration in A/T direction. Making elites slightly more offensive to cement dwarf as the real tank choice and also give halfer a little more punch.

+25% TPA
    +10% Population
    -20% military training cost (including thieves)

-5% BE

11/7 elite 7.25nw 750gc
    Spellbook: TW, Vermin

Human

Direction: pretty similar to last age but just giving more counterplay with spell damage instead of the econ penalty of rune cost.

+20% sci effect
    +25% income
    +2 horses

-15% WPA
    +15% enemy spell damage

8/12 elite 8.25nw 1100gc
    Spellbook: fok, QF

Orc

Direction: Was too OP with combat gains. Lean more into raw off power, drafting capabilities and enemy casualties while keeping the vulnerability to thief shred.

+10% enemy casualties
    +20% draftees
    -50% draft cost
    4/4 soldiers

-15% TPA
    +15% enemy sabotage damage

15/5 elite 8.5nw 925gc
    Spellbook: Aggression, BL

Avian

Strong but kind of boring with lower attack time than in the past. Lean harder into attack time to make them really unique (and swap attack time for gains on tact to really make the attack time unique) at the expense of having a powerful elite.

-25% attack time
    +40% birth rate
    -25% military training time

cannot use stables or horses
    -5% combat gains

15/4 elite 8.25nw 900gc
    Spellbook: war spoils

Dwarf

Direction: Really minor tweak. Swapping 5% ME for 10% DME and losing GP but gaining +1 offense elite is close to even, but really emphasizes the defensive tanky nature of the dwarf. Drops BE slightly to compensate.

+25% BE
    -75% construction cost
    +10% DME

+100% food needed

13/8 elite 8.5nw 1100gc
    Spellbook: Gluttony

Faery

Direction: All-in on self spells and duration spellcasting. Makes an awesome mystic with extra mana and high duration MS, chastity, and whatever else you want to throw on people, but lacks the rune efficiency of elf and the raw WPA of DE.

+20% self spell duration
    +20% combat spell duration
    -1 mana self spells
    All racial spells

(no penalties)

7/12 elite 8nw 950gc
    Spellbook: all racial spells

Undead

Direction: Massively simplifying undead. Still very sturdy attackers, great when they can land plague, hard to bring down due to low offensive casualties, but not quite so op early age with the conversions and pop bonus.

-50% offensive casualties
    no food needed
    spreads and is immune to plague

no hospitals

14/5 elite 8nw 875gc
    Spellbook: AD, chastity

Dark Elf

Direction: Moving the wpa from faery over here because I prefer it on a race that doesn't need to cast a ton of self spells, and DE can look somewhat similar to old fae as well. Swapping damage to heretic, so DE can pick up training thieves with credits instead to let it sustain TPA in a hybrid setup.

+2 ospec
    +25% WPA
    Can train thieves with credits

-5% Pop

7/13 elite 8.5nw 1100gc
    Spellbook: RM, Gluttony

=============
    Personalities
    =============

Mystic

Direction: Picks up blizzard, mystic being the duration spell personality

+150% guild land effect
    +1 mana
    +25% arcane book production

Spellbook: MS, Blizzard, ET, Rev
    Starts with: 800 wiz

Rogue

Direction: rogue was good this age. Just give it back thief cost reduction to compete with the increased personality strength elsewhere.

+100% TD land effect
    -30% thief cost
    +1 stealth
    Access to GA, AW, prop

Spellbook: ET, Rev
    Starts with: 800 thieves

Heretic

Direction: give heretic back its damage bonuses. Swap the -thief losses to TD effect. Boost to t/m heretic but slight nerf to a/m heretic.

+75% guild land effect
    +50% TD land effect
    +10% spell and sabotage damage

Spellbook: NM, FG, Rev
    Starts with: 400 wiz, 400 thieves

Bandit

Direction: A/T personality that focuses on resource stealing and using ops to boost offensive power via gc for mercs, stealing war horses, and grabbing prisoners.

+50% TD land effect
    +25% gains on robs and plunders
    Some additional prisoners are captured on kidnap and free prisoners ops
    Prisoners and mercs are +3
    -75% merc cost
    Access to GA and SWH
    +25% econ book production

Spellbook: Gluttony and Vermin
    Starts with: 400 thieves, 400 solds and creds

Cleric

Direction: Slight tweak to focus more on defensive WPA to make cleric even more the sturdy attacker choice.

-30% casualties
    Immune to plague
    Can cast spells on mates
    +20% Defensive WPA

Spellbook: GP, DS, IS, Wrathful Smite
    Starts with: 600 solds and creds, 200 wiz

Artisan

Direction: change land effect to 10% all buildings to give artisan more general purpose power rather than only being useful as a bank.

+50% building credits
    -50% construction time
    +10% land effect all buildings
    Income penalty protection

Spellbook: Ghost workers
    Starts with: 600 solds and creds, 200 building creds

Tactician

Direction: rather than attack speed, have tact mainly focused on gains with battle gains, ambush protection, and sacred mist. They're the attacker-killers while warrior is the t/m-killer.

+10% battle gains
    -33% land lost on ambushes
    accurate intel
    +25% war book production

Spellbook: CS, sacred mist
    Sarts with: 800 solds and credits

Warrior

Direction: Lean further into being t/m-killer with fanat giving some extra OME and lower cq losses and higher mass effect.

+10% OME
    -25% casualties on conquest attacks
    +15% gains on massacres
    +25% war book production

Spellbook: PF, fanat
    Starts with: 800 solds and creds

War Hero

Direction: Reload attacker that gets PI for faster training and lower maintenance for all those elites, conversions, and stronger elites both offensively and defensively. Makes WH look real nice for both offensive and defensive elite races. Toned down the honor bonus to compensate and removed dragon immunity.

+50% honor bonuses
    Convert specs to elites
    +1/+1 elite
    +25% war book production

Spellbook: Hero's inspiration (PI renamed)
    Starts with: 800 elites

Sage

Direction: Instead of an extra bonus to econ books and boost to labs, just give free permanent rev and let sage decide where sci should go mroe. Also make SI much weaker and more expensive, but let sage use it for a short boost in power. Also start with an extra scientist instead of books. Sage is all about scaling, not early bonuses at all.

+25% scientist generation
    +25% book production
    -50% losses on learn attacks

Spellbook: amnesia, SI
    Starts with: +1 scientist
    Last edited by AmrasArFeiniel; 28-04-2020 at 00:00.

Orc Tact would be a game wrecker... number one at 15/5, you can't counter that even with ambush protection... and then tact to offset the TPA penalty, I think you made it more OP than it was lol
    “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
    - unknown

Really? It only gets 6% more offense on its elite (mounted) but it loses 10% gains (-20 on orc +10 on tact) and 15% attack time. Yeah it’s gonna hit real hard but is a little offense really worth the big cuts in speed and gains? Tact ambush protection is also weaker than this age. Sure I got rid of the spell damage and honor penalties for orc and their drafting is better, but I have a hard time believing this is a buff. If this orc tact is op then this age It must have been impossibly so.

Post Fiend
    I thought Orc elite was underwhelming, if anything. 15 isn't a lot. Anyway:

Quote Originally Posted by AmrasArFeiniel View Post
    ToG removed (hate having to balance fae around that)
    SI duration down to 2-3 ticks, difficulty and cost as patriotism, no longer a support spell, on sage
    DS makes a return as a support spell
    Heavy offense elites slightly weaker defensively
    SI seems pointless now. It only adds 5% science, it's very hard, and you can't even use it to support. Why bother?
    And weaker elites, defensively, makes for easier ambushes. I'm all for ambushes, but you ought to keep this in mind.

Elf

50% runes refunded on successful spells
    Can cast spells on mates
    +2 dspec

+20% explore cost

13/7 elite 8nw 1000gc
    Spellbook: MA, chastity
    They seem fine. I think they're gonna be stretched for mana, and it's a good thing.

Halfling

+25% TPA
    +10% Population
    -20% military training cost (including thieves)

-5% BE

11/7 elite 7.25nw 750gc
    Spellbook: TW, Vermin
    The thing about giving halfler a raw pop bonus, instead of housing, is that you can no longer balance your need for more population against your need for other buildings (most notably, thieves' dens). This means that you're taking away all the spectrum of halfling (from the madness of raw attacker to a classical T/M race) and pigeonholing them into an A/T role.

And they're not good for an A/T role, either. Not with 10%. I'm currently running 30% homes on my halfling/warrior, which adds up to 24% extra pop*, and that BARELY gives me enough extra pop space for a decent attacker with 4-5 raw TPA. BARELY. It doesn't have a high opa (I can barely break T/Ms), it's not a very good thief, but it does have tremendous durability on account of attacking with cheap ospecs and the birth rate bonus of the housing. 10% pop is a lesser bonus and, to make up for it, you give halfling a 11-point elite, which is not spectacular AND you force halfling attackers to use it to make up for the pop penalty (compared to housing).

"But North, don't you see you get 30% extra land this way?", you might say. And yes, the extra land is nice - except all that housing helps with BE, and now I instead have to build buildings that take jobs to fill, further depressing the BE that you're already giving a penalty to. What good is a halfling thief if they have TDs at 70%?

Anyway, burn it with cleansing fire.

*14% extra pop compared to my regular, non-halfling, 25% homes build on other ages.

Human

+20% sci effect
    +25% income
    +2 horses

-15% WPA
    +15% enemy spell damage

8/12 elite 8.25nw 1100gc
    Spellbook: fok, QF
    No human ever is going to do instant damage spells, so in essence this is a non-bonus. I'd nerf the elite a bit, considering all elites lost a bit of offense, and lower cost and NW appropiately.

Orc

+10% enemy casualties
    +20% draftees
    -50% draft cost
    4/4 soldiers

-15% TPA
    +15% enemy sabotage damage

15/5 elite 8.5nw 925gc
    Spellbook: Aggression, BL
    Like I said above, I find the elite slightly underwhelming. Still, they're pretty good.

Avian

-25% attack time
    +40% birth rate
    -25% military training time

cannot use stables or horses
    -5% combat gains

15/4 elite 8.25nw 900gc
    Spellbook: war spoils
    I like it. I like them having war spoils, too, since they can fill up that land quicker - but it also makes for interesting choices. Do you go for war spoils and avoid ambushes, or skip it so that you have incoming land in case you get chained? Very interesting conundrum.

Dwarf

+25% BE
    -75% construction cost
    +10% DME

+100% food needed

13/8 elite 8.5nw 1100gc
    Spellbook: Gluttony
    I like dwarf having more BE. You're gonna need a lot of hospitals to protect that expensive ass elite, after all.

Faery

+20% self spell duration
    +20% combat spell duration
    -1 mana self spells
    All racial spells

(no penalties)

7/12 elite 8nw 950gc
    Spellbook: all racial spells
    The loss of ToG is big on Faery, and I don't know if no pop penalty makes up for it, especially when you nerfed their elite, too. Do they get invisibility? No race seems to get it.
    And, overall, I feel like you're pigeonholing Faery into Mystic or, if you fancy hybrids, War Hero. Maybe Cleric, if you like tanky provinces? A bit boring, IMO.

Undead

-50% offensive casualties
    no food needed
    spreads and is immune to plague

no hospitals

14/5 elite 8nw 875gc
    Spellbook: AD, chastity
    *yawn*

Dark Elf

+2 ospec
    +25% WPA
    Can train thieves with credits

-5% Pop

7/13 elite 8.5nw 1100gc
    Spellbook: RM, Gluttony
    So what is, exactly, Dark Elf? It gets an attacking bonus, a mage bonus, a thief bonus, and a penalty that effectively precludes them from being an A/T/M. Also, the thievery bonus only works in a hybrid, and the spellbook is piss-poor for a mage (what, just gluttony? Yeah, good luck starving people). It's good that you're not pigeonholing all races like Faery, but this is the exact opposite and it's also not good.

Mystic

+150% guild land effect
    +1 mana

Spellbook: MS, Blizzard, ET, Rev
    Starts with: 800 wiz
    Good. Nothing new here.

Rogue

+100% TD land effect
    -30% thief cost
    +1 stealth
    Access to GA, AW, prop

Spellbook: ET, Rev
    Starts with: 800 thieves
    Rogue is also getting more TD land effect, btw. I like it for their potential for hybridization, but some people might find it OP.

Heretic

+75% guild land effect
    +50% TD land effect
    +10% spell and sabotage damage

Spellbook: NM, FG, Rev
    Starts with: 400 wiz, 400 thieves
    The main problem I see with this Heretic is that its spellbook is lame. I get the logic behind moving Blizzard to mystic, but now Heretic gets Nightmare (great for an A/M, like the kind you're trying to nerf), Fool's Gold (a.k.a. Fool's Spell) and the same old Revelation. And whatever spellbook your race brings (I'm looking at you, Dark Elf). Why no amnesia? Sage can share. No invisibility? I like it better on Rogue, but since I can't find it anywhere... How about improving FG with the suggestion I made here? There are many ways to improve Heretic, but it definitely needs at least one.

Bandit

+50% TD land effect
    +25% gains on robs and plunders
    Some additional prisoners are captured on kidnap and free prisoners ops
    Prisoners and mercs are +3
    -75% merc cost
    Access to GA and SWH

Spellbook: Gluttony and Vermin
    Starts with: 400 thieves, 400 solds and creds
    I like Bandit. But I feel like its improvement cannibalizes on Warrior. More on that below.

Cleric

-30% casualties
    Immune to plague
    Can cast spells on mates
    +20% Defensive WPA

Spellbook: GP, DS, IS, Wrathful Smite
    Starts with: 600 solds and creds, 200 wiz
    I think you may have overdone the sturdiness on this one. All provinces should have a weak point somewhere, and a Cleric attacker, with casualty protection, +44% dWPA and IS, is nigh-impossible to stop.

Artisan

Direction: change land effect to 10% all buildings to give artisan more general purpose power rather than only being useful as a bank.

+50% building credits
    -50% construction time
    +10% land effect all buildings
    Income penalty protection

Spellbook: Ghost workers
    Starts with: 600 solds and creds, 200 building creds
    Isn't "land effect" the same as "BE"? Anyway, is this good? Would you use this on anything not having a short stature, a beard, and an affinity for jewelry? I don't think I would. Artisan needs something radical to make it a truly unique personality, something like 1-tick buildings or something. Just a thought.

Tactician

Direction: rather than attack speed, have tact mainly focused on gains with battle gains, ambush protection, and sacred mist. They're the attacker-killers while warrior is the t/m-killer.

+10% battle gains
    -33% land lost on ambushes
    accurate intel
    +25% war book production

Spellbook: CS, sacred mist
    Sarts with: 800 solds and credits
    The landhog is back! I do think, however, that this plays with other races much better than last time. I'm not a fan of extra battle gains and ambush protection, but the easier-to-ambush elites overall make it more palatable.

Warrior

Direction: Lean further into being t/m-killer with fanat giving some extra OME and lower cq losses and higher mass effect.

+10% OME
    -25% casualties on conquest attacks
    +15% gains on massacres
    +25% war book production

Spellbook: PF, fanat
    Starts with: 800 solds and creds
    I'm currently playing a warrior. The most offense I gain, by far, is from cheaper mercs and plentiful prisoners. This warrior does away with both: it sent cheaper mercs to bandit, and it no longer has extra casualties (pitfalls notwithstanding). Fanaticism is a nice touch, but it won't do when I'm trying to break a T/M all fortified. At the very least, give Warrior back its extra casualties on offense and defense.

War Hero

Direction: Reload attacker that gets PI for faster training and lower maintenance for all those elites, conversions, and stronger elites both offensively and defensively. Makes WH look real nice for both offensive and defensive elite races. Toned down the honor bonus to compensate and removed dragon immunity.

+50% honor bonuses
    Convert specs to elites
    +1/+1 elite
    +25% war book production

Spellbook: Hero's inspiration (PI renamed)
    Starts with: 800 elites
    It's... interesting. Oddly enough, the ones to gain the most from this are probably the halflings, who ought to have more elites anyway and for whom the +1/+1 represents the most gains, by percentage.

Despite that, I doubt any halfling would bother pairing it with this combo.

Sage

Direction: Instead of an extra bonus to econ books and boost to labs, just give free permanent rev and let sage decide where sci should go mroe. Also make SI much weaker and more expensive, but let sage use it for a short boost in power. Also start with an extra scientist instead of books. Sage is all about scaling, not early bonuses at all.

+25% scientist generation
    +25% book production
    -50% losses on learn attacks

Spellbook: amnesia, SI
    Starts with: +1 scientist
    Sage's strength depends on the length of the age, especially so when you put it like this. It's hard to judge it on a vacuum because of that.

Post Fiend

No human ever is going to do instant damage spells, so in essence this is a non-bonus. I'd nerf the elite a bit, considering all elites lost a bit of offense, and lower cost and NW appropiately.

Pretty sure that is others doing more damage to Humans..

Thread Information