Thread: Building

Building

change buildings so they dont require input to build acres every time; you set the desired %s and they are automatically built.

rather than build/raze costs and credits, change it to a building maintenance expense which could be adjusted like wages to effect build time, maybe even BE a bit. this opens up for the opposite as well. much like military wages, if they go unpaid; your build time and BE would go for a ride

default settings would be as BoA. when the buildings set dont add up to 100%, the remainder just 'rainbows' across all the 0s. as soon as you change it to add up to 100, it will cancel and rebuild appropriately, immediately, because you pay an expense for this each tick.
    -this means everything is always built or in progress, which does leave room for some abuse to boost BE... you could make in progress buildings add extra jobs to nerf that a bit? it probably takes more people to build a structure than to man it afterward anyway.

i also see it as a potential means for monarchs to have more power over provinces in the kingdom, by potentially allowing them to take control of this aspect of subject provinces, as part of their basic powers.

this gives monarchs some real power other than sweeping up inactives or changing the banner. it could be seen as yet more work, but i think it could help avoid a lot of headaches, and/or be a teaching tool to save nubs from themselves

in the end maybe less stressful? seems to be good amount of discussion to ease the burden on leaders, most seem resolved to the idea that 'it is what it is', though.

main issues i see are that people wont want to give up control(despite mostly following orders anyway), and potential griefer monarchs?

Post Fiend
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say no to this.

I mean, this part is kinda ok…

Quote Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
    change buildings so they dont require input to build acres every time; you set the desired %s and they are automatically built.

rather than build/raze costs and credits, change it to a building maintenance expense which could be adjusted like wages to effect build time, maybe even BE a bit. this opens up for the opposite as well. much like military wages, if they go unpaid; your build time and BE would go for a ride
    …if we ignore the feedback loop of putting more cash to increase BE of banks to get more cash (or viceversa, a vicious loop if your income dips too low). But, like, maybe we modify this idea in some way to consider that?

However, this…

i also see it as a potential means for monarchs to have more power over provinces in the kingdom, by potentially allowing them to take control of this aspect of subject provinces, as part of their basic powers.
    Is a BIG no for me. It's essentially surrendering a very personal aspect of your province and it adds a lot of extra work to the monarch, who can't really use a one-size-fits-all approach to provinces (not even for, like, all attackers – what if someone is Avian, or Undead?) but must tailor the proportion of buildings consistently. And what if monarch and province ruler disagree? It's a terrible idea for so many reasons, but the main one is that we don't need giving monarchs more and more power over what their provinces do.

Why?

Because then, playing as a non-monarch is ENORMOUSLY BORING. Seriously, what is there for you to do, if other people are deciding down to your build?

this gives monarchs some real power other than sweeping up inactives or changing the banner.
    Monarchs already have a lot of power. Most of it is soft, though – diplomacy, setting foreign policy (i.e. picking who to war) and so forth.

it could be seen as yet more work
    That's because it is.

but i think it could help avoid a lot of headaches, and/or be a teaching tool to save nubs from themselves
    But how are nubs gonna learn if they don't actually have a hand in the decision-making process? It's all just "here's your build, now train troops and use them when I tell you" – extremely boring for most people, and most certainly for people who are starting in Utopia and who are probably more interested in learning by, you know, doing things (even if they do them poorly at first).

I do think you're spot-on with this:

main issues i see are that people wont want to give up control
    …but, like, yeah, mate. That's exactly the point – people don't want other people playing the game for them.

you have made an assumption in err, and then reiterated that same argument over and over again; the monarch doesnt HAVE to do any of it, its their choice... they can let ppl go wild or they can have an inactive province raze their banks down, for example.

it wouldnt be a lot more work than a current 'good' monarch monitoring his KDs builds, and this would give them some means to actually remedy issues they find, other than using their 'soft power' to explain the whole carrot vs stick thing. which is what i mean by actual power, yes they do have power... but only in a KD that is already organized behind them does that 'soft power' translate into anything meaningful. if you are trying to build a KD and have a bunch of scrubby nubs, all that power is gone as you cant even realistically kill off a skilled griefer in some cases.

its a constant complaint that KD preparedness in opponents is an issue, as well as leader burnout- i think this type of power for the monarch could chip away at both
    Last edited by RattleHead; 21-11-2020 at 21:26.

I still see the argument that ppl wont want to give up that kind of access, perhaps it could be toggleable in preferences, but i can see a lot of experienced players being down with their monarch being able to save them from starving in eowCF when they mess up builds after a long war... by your argument i feel like the 'mentor' system would not be popular, but it is wildly so amongst primarily experienced players so they can alternate sitting each others provinces at convenient times of day.

Also, in most KDs when you don't agree with the Monarch's prescribed builds; what happens? You get killed off.

In this scenario, you get rebuilt into a more useful version of yourself- with the option to delete yourself in hopes of finding a more tolerant Kingdom!
    Last edited by RattleHead; 21-11-2020 at 14:26.

Thread Information