Thread: It is impossible to believe in Evolution and not be a racist

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by noobium View Post
    reasonably undeniable does not mean "based on nothing but superstition and precedent", which is where most of those Earth-centric models came from. the ancients either didn't know or didn't care to think about what was in the sky, so their conjecture was based on a lot of assumptions that were just wrong; for instance, the insistence that orbits were perfect circles because it was "elegant", and a convoluted explanation to fudge math so that the earth-centric model even worked (with the knowledge astronomers at the time could have).
    you see a lot of that with ancient greek philosophy, where it actively held back human understanding until someone in the middle ages finally called bull**** on it. you don't want to know what the greek philosophers thought about biology...
    And indeed, the very mentality you have there ("but you can't prove it unless you claim to know everything!") is a large reason why flawed and incorrect ideas persist for longer than they should, despite evidence to the contrary. usually, most people are too busy slaving, fighting, or dying to think too long on it. I for one am not an expert in anything, and a lot of biology is guesswork (didn't I say that lol)? That is something entirely different from believing that the theory of Darwinian natural selction is invalid in entirety (patently false because of observational and experimental evidence that supports it within reason), and then that is something completely different from the horse**** ideas idiots get in their heads ever since they latched on to Darwin's theory to justify good ol' racism and human ignorance.

The theory of evolution can be seen in practice because living things are still adapting, and genetic traits can be selected for in a controlled environment. Also, you can notice genetic traits that would only become favorable if humans, for instance, domesticated cows and developed a tolerance for lactose. As I said, nature is dumb, and "natural selection" as much as idiots try not to think about it, is a messy process which moves very, very, very slowly. Using an appeal to nature argument is something that can be easily debunked and I'm not going to waste my time, only reiterate that if someone who still uses that argument is a ****wit.
    1. The observation that basically everything in the sky was revolving around the Earth is not "superstition". The Sun, the moon, the planets, the stars, all of them seemed to rotate around us in some way. That's literally thousands of data points. Those observations had a few "gaps", and in those gaps lied the truth.

2. Your lack of respect for Greek philosophy is sad.

3. If Earth-centered models are too far-fected for you to get the point. Newton's "laws" of gravity are wrong.

4. Do not tell me what you "know". String Theory may certainly be correct, but we do not "know" that it's correct. Again, I'm not saying the evolution is wrong. I'm actually pretty happy to admit that something close to our theory of evolution is probably in reality what really happens. But to suggest that beyond any reasonable doubt our exact theory of evolution is 100% correct and flawless is just downright stupid.
    Last edited by Palem; 09-10-2014 at 13:14. Reason: Forgot kindergarden counting

Thread Information