Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: About adverts and especially pop-ups

It didn't 'break down' - it got owned by malware that got stuffed into my temporary internet files-folder.
    That also didn't make me 'lose' my kingdom, and I got it fixed in less than a week.

The thing here is, I've already told you that there's no actual defense against such attacks, and that I knew what was happening to my computer, so there never were any cries of 'OH! GOD! HOW DID THIS GET HERE!? I AM NOT VERY GOOD WITH COMPUTERS!'
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

utopiagod
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral S3 View Post
    VT2:

What about the sites that use Active X as part of thier actual site. IE places where you download data, such as Direct 2 Drive sites, or those that you deal with for billing.... the list goes on and on and on. There are many sites that use Active-X just for benevolent and helpful things for the average computer user such as HP, Dell and Microsoft all to provide updates and get you the programs you need for your specific computer, printer or other hardware.

S3
    I don't even have ActiveX available on this system and I've never had a problem with downloading, billing, etc. In fact, I've never knowingly had a problem with any site caused by the lack of ActiveX on my system.

But I don't get nearly as many ads.

SO what your satying VT2... is that its your opinion that its the users... not the companies responsibility to fix the problem.

So the guy who had to pay is the guy who has to fix the issue? Instead of the ones who get paid to fix it?

S3

utopiagod
    Three things here:

1). It shouldn't take a week to fix such a problem. A few hours at most, and usually not even that.
    2). Good security on the client will limit such attacks. A bit of paranoia helps here - and I agree ActiveX should be disabled - or at least ensure you have to approve ActiveX controls running first (I don't even have ActiveX on this system and don't miss it a bit).
    3). The above two shouldn't be needed, if OMAC and the ad company do their jobs properly.

+1 for line 3

I wish the rest of these sheep understood that.

Forum Addict
    One of the ads on WOL tried to open a page
    Viruses (what's this?)
    Threats found: 1
    Here is a complete list:

Threat Name: Downloader.Fostrem

Forum Addict
    allonons
    Veteran

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ADVERTISEMENT:

This is while I was logging out of WOL and logging into GEN which took me to HUMAN check.

Virus came, over rides HUMAN check page!

FILE NAME: computer-antivirus06.com/scan1/?

pid=305s2&engine=%3D3Q1xzDuNDUuMTY5LjQwJnRpbWU9MTI1NjY1OQ0
    NaA%3DM

Treat name: Exploit Rouge scanner (type 862)

AVG sucks?
    cause i havent had any reports from viruses..

or is my Adblock.plus doing it's job good?

utopiagod
    There is also a possibility an antivirus is producing a false positive.

Now I'm not saying all the hits (or even a majority of them) are false positives. But it takes some time to sift through the reports to find out which are real viruses and which are not.

Thread Information