Thread: Starting questions

Post Demon

Starting questions

Some of these I know some of, some I can find on the wiki (bad as it is). But some of this stuff, while critical for an prot sim, is just not documented anywhere.

1. What are initial resources and build? Land, Money, Sols, # farms, etc. I know we find out when age restarts, but I'm impatient.

2. What is BR during protection? (Or normal BR for that matter)

3. What is initial explore cost? Do we know explore cost formula? Think shep bonus will hit before the rounding or after?

4. Is 22*.75=17 still ? And is normal build 22h like I think?

5. What is starting explore pool?

6. Later age - how strong was kingdom based gains?

Also, any advise on an early blitz explore? I think I'm finally going to play (solo) in the big leagues. But to do so I clearly need to come OOP really big - once they're bigger than you and have more friends, your dead. So to make a play at the charts at all requires starting there, then seeing how long I can hold on till the top kingdoms overtake. (Yes, I know the banks will be bigger than everyone.)
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

I like your idea about exploring big early on.

what are you playing, race and personality?

a generic build is thus:
    (modify for race and personality, play style )

10% farms automatic
    10% homes automatic

40% banks (accelerated construction)
    20% armories(accelerated construction)

10% guilds
    10% towers

draft 60%
    wage 100%

sci: accelerated
    invest the initial freebie 50/50
    Alchemy/Housing

If possible
    explore 50 acres
    train 100 thieves

release remaining soldiers

Go away for at least 24hrs until the buildings come in.

48hrs oop
    Build specific needs, you might raze the homes.
    train thieves + 200
    explore what you think you can defend oop.
    apply sciences as previously done

go away for at least 12hrs

yes,i know, no bonuses for being off the server.....

36hr or 24hrs oop
    Train, train, train, train....

at least 25 dpa on what ever acres
    1 tpa

the rest you work out as needed.

NOTE:
    exploration takes from the pool

paradise does not.

Utopia, however, isn't a just a solo game. You really need a reliable set of kingdom mates. So tread lightly on messing with a good kingdoms plans.

However, if you land in a disorganized ghetto full of idiots, DO WHAT IS BEST for your PROVINCE immediately. If you have a functional brain in game terms, take over and dominate them to your will.

Most players don't random into top 100 kingdoms....

Use the tools between your ears....

Play nice with the kiddies in the sandbox...or not. Expect consequences.
    Last edited by Mephistophoes; 26-01-2010 at 19:18.

Post Fiend
    I dont recommend u exploring and building only defence oop coz you'll be a beacon of target for gnome-shepherd cow killers. If u have to explore, build 15% forts(with town watch/humans) and 20% forts(w/o town watch).
    If you really want to bank-explore for fun, try DE-shepherd. You could come out 2k acres with close to 40k defence oop. You won't be able to expand further unless your kd gives u 3-4x max aid on the first tick, but it will be a great learning experience.

Post Demon
    So, still hoping to see an answer to #2 in particular. I think I have the others right enough (why does googleing utopia wiki NOT give the current, randomly hidden, wiki?) But without an answer to question #2, there is no hope of making a sufficiently accurate sim to find out how to maximize growth in prot.

BTW, *IF* I am actually trying this, I will be one of the gnome shepherd. So my def is my off.

If it wasn't clear by some of my questions (aka, #4), I've been playing a long time, I've just never been in a kingdom bad enough to make an explorer viable before. If I choose not to I'll be going Human Sage, which I can run just fine.

#4 gets a small addition as well... does (22*.9)*.75=15 in mehul math? And is prot double build *always* 17 hours, or can you "cheat" it to 16? (And how?)

Also, for #2 - how does L&P interact with age start bonus BR? Add? Multiply? Also, guesses about how shep bonus will interact with BR.

In short - I need the protection BR formula and don't see it anywhere.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

2.25% = normal

3.45% at the start, dropping .01 % every hour until 5 days have passed. (it used to be bugged on old code, i believe it works right on new code)

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    #4 gets a small addition as well... does (22*.9)*.75=15 in mehul math? And is prot double build *always* 17 hours, or can you "cheat" it to 16? (And how?)

Also, for #2 - how does L&P interact with age start bonus BR? Add? Multiply? Also, guesses about how shep bonus will interact with BR.
    For 2, all the bonus multiplies.

For 4, i think no proper way to cheat it to 16 unless you have some other modifiers. For the former, I think the maths works out to 15 hrs and not 14, i'm not 100% sure though because i haven't double build with bb on during protection. The only other modifier that can be activated during protection is artisan to get 10 hr double build time (have to pull it off as a de artisan if done initially).

its more important to be able to fight out of protection then it is about acre or nw size.

be able to attack (if playing attacker which everyone should attack to some extent),and have reasonable defense, the starting of gathering a min of 1 wpa and 1 tpa.

OOP you want an offensive army to plunder the people who want to explore and have money sitting around.
    Anzac ftw

Post Demon
    Good explorers will be well out of range of attackers OOP. Bad explorers will probably have low NW/acre so won't be all that appealing as targets either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    Also, for #2 - how does L&P interact with age start bonus BR? Add? Multiply?
    In my experience, last age in particular, the effect of L&P was it ADDED 0.75% to the BR, so instead of 2.25% it was 3.00%.

My guess is that it will function the same with the age start BR.
    There was a young fellow named Fiske
    Whose fencing was exceedingly brisk
    So fast was his action
    Fitzgerald contraction
    Reduced his rapier to a disk.

Veteran
    I was under the impression that it was a 1.3 (could be 1.25) modifier so 2.25 x 1.3 = 2.925. It's definitely not added though.
    That nerdy guy that obsesses with game mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
    I was under the impression that it was a 1.3 (could be 1.25) modifier so 2.25 x 1.3 = 2.925. It's definitely not added though.
    A 4/3 muliplier (~1.33) would fit exactly.
    There was a young fellow named Fiske
    Whose fencing was exceedingly brisk
    So fast was his action
    Fitzgerald contraction
    Reduced his rapier to a disk.

Thread Information