Thread: Update to protection and allocation discussion

Veteran

Update to protection and allocation discussion

Update to protection and allocation
    An update to the games protection period and province allocation mechanics has just gone live. This update is to prevent abuse of the games reset/respawn province function combined with the new 24 hour protection period.

As of now any new province entering a kingdom in war will be subject to a protection period of 72 hours.
    Kingdoms in war will not receive randomly allocated new provinces. They can still invite players and receive defectees.

We will continue to monitor the game to see how these changes work out.
    I agree on the changes, but I question why you are adding them mid age instead of at the beginning of next age.

My kingdom had a new player join mid war and he just got thrown back into protection. You say as of now, but you have backtracked it somewhat. Is this a bug or intentional? The war is really close and this has quite a big effect on us.

Intentional.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page |
    PM DavidC for test server access

Regular
    yeah your lame only had 24 hrs of protection province would be too powerful thus giving you an unfair advantage. Take another couple days and make it even more powerful....drag the war out then use your secret weapon that is now 2x stronger! wooooo!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Intentional.
    Then can you reword the post? The other kingdom had an invited province earlier in the war too, yet they have not been reset. How far back does the rule apply?

Quote Originally Posted by *****up420 View Post
    yeah your lame only had 24 hrs of protection province would be too powerful thus giving you an unfair advantage. Take another couple days and make it even more powerful....drag the war out then use your secret weapon that is now 2x stronger! wooooo!
    I do think this escalates the problem. 72 hours of being untouchable, aid all of the gold out immediately and reset again.

If you prov is less than 72 ticks old you have protection for whatever is remaining, if you are in war.

You cant aid in protection btw.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page |

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Why did you remove getting randoms in war? I don't see the point of that...

Veteran
    If you prov is less than 72 ticks old you have protection for whatever is remaining, if you are in war.

You cant aid in protection btw.
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Why did you remove getting randoms in war? I don't see the point of that...
    I'm not a fan of it either but i am less of a fan of new players being pushed into a 72 hour protection period. Necessary evil.

Needs to get out more
    Cool. We had a bad random that essentially forced us to drag war to raze him off. Got nicked up turning my ambush offense to raze. So we had a farm who defected replaced by an active random who wouldn't communicate or act who was razed and replaced by a brand new player which makes you smile.

He didn't know any acronyms or strats, but he chose human war hero: same set up I began the age with. LoL
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Post Fiend
    so if you are killed in war you would come back and have to wait 72 hours or do we get 24 hours still
    To avoid being bottom fead on.... be number one... if you can't do that then just expect it.. and plan for it build more offence... and kick their teeth in...

Good change Bishop and very fair, stops the abuse for war chained people and overall helps the newer KDs, that didnt use this exploit to win wars that they would have otherwise lost, so very nice update.
    War is what happens when language fails.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Aranfein View Post
    Good change Bishop and very fair, stops the abuse for war chained people and overall helps the newer KDs, that didnt use this exploit to win wars that they would have otherwise lost, so very nice update.
    Problem is that over 90% of Utopia are not rational actors, and put themselves in a position where resetting provinces is actually going to be profitable.

I said it at start of age, trolling around at 400 acres and 60% draft is a waste of everyone's time, and guess what idiot punks mocked me for. The same people are the first to whine about reset provinces.

The only thing that might be a problem is kingdoms that can use mule provinces to feed dragons, and this is something that kingdoms could do under old 72h protection rules. Most kingdoms didn't because it was, and is, a retarded way to play. Under current protection rules it is more powerful, since the protected provinces have specs covered and more time to accumulate cash, so I don't get what the point of the change was.

Really though, it's largely a result of 90%+ of utopia not being rational actors and realizing that early age growth is important to prevent situations like this from being profitable (among being beneficial for any kind of kingdom, even as a do-nothing ghetto). If there were more acres floating around, more people would be at a size where resetting is less of an issue. While a reset province might wind up in a better position than a province that is chained to nothing, by mid-age people should have too much science accumulated for this to be profitable.

What this change does mostly is make razing into war more powerful. So far, the only thing stopping this from being common practice is an agreement among the player base to not raze, and with the degradation of ethics recently I think more kingdoms will be willing to call in war allies to raze for them, or use the threat of razing into war to bully kingdoms that don't have as many connections in the community.

Needs to get out more
    And to think I was flirting with randoming back into the game tonight. Reading your post noobium reminds me of the 'we need a bigger boat' scene. ;-)

Suffering Utophobia. Back to watching Hallmark Channel.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 25-01-2014 at 23:30.
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Thread Information