Thread: Feary vs Halfling Rogue

Regular

Feary vs Halfling Rogue

I'm sure this has been talked to death but I'm just curious on the general opinion of Feary vs Halfling races as Rogues. I am currently a Feary Mystic and I am finding myself using thievery a LOT more than magic so I'm considering re-rolling as a Rogue. My indecisiveness lies with race choice. I can definitely see the advantages of Halfling with the success rate, stealth per tick and cheaper thieves but Fearys offer the bonus damage to thief ops and I can't help considering the access to all spells as Feary as well, which (IMO) gives a nice advantage to OOW growth via things like FoK and ToG. Opinions?

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Faery/Rogue a/t

Regular
    Palem,
    Did you mean Halfling Rogue a/t? I can't see Feary being very effective at attacking? Or was that just a joke?

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I never joke about faery

Halfling is a better thief. The only reason to pick mystic is to cast MS. In war you're going to need 2-4 mystics likely. Rogues serve a purpose too. I would probably Run Faery mystics and Halfling rogues. Although a case could be made for elf mystics instead.

If your KD has too many mystics and is easily keeping MS on all their attackers then reroll to a rogue if you wish. But go Halfling imo
    My life is better then yours.

Post Demon
    Faery/Rogue. 40% more damage. ToG. FoK. +1 mana in war.

Forum Fanatic
    halfling/rogue operates in a very different niche than faery/rogue. ha/rogue is made to be fed to create superthieves, faery/rogue works better as a standalone t/m or a/t. it is very likely that ha/rogue would be paired with fa/rogue anyway - halfers to open up the really tough targets, fa/rogue for a more stable t/m against attackers.

the ha/rogue does have one key advantage - it is much easier to hit bloathogs with 5/5 than 4/5, especially with mounts (stolen or from running stables). their primary function is to counteract strong t/m, but halflings can do well against attackers as well (run less rTPA, more mil/wpa, and get some mounts; the halfling can afford to send out with less work than faery/rogue, and i'm presuming you are able to handle being exposed to chain). because halfer thieves are cheap, it is easier to transition between a strong thief role (4-5 rTPA) and a weak thief role (3-3.5 rTPA) on short notice; and because of the TPA bonus it is easier to op with a kinda-bad rTPA and build up 25-30% of your starting TPA during war (for 1 tpa the cost is approx 300gc/acre including draft; this is a relatively cheap expense to pay during war on a single province and small enough to carry gc into war).

Regular
    Ok, so what I am reading is basically that Fearys suite T/M rolls better and Halflings suite A/T rolls better. So if I want to keep using magic, go feary? As it stands now, I'm not much into attacking. I will occasionally pillage a province that has suicided and left themselves overly defenseless but generally I just Storms/MS/Fireball/Tornado and NS/Riots/Rob Vaults.

Enthusiast
    The 40% faery bonus on magic and thievery is totally overpowered if you can use it well

Look deeper into the +1 stealth per tick bit, because it means 1 extra op every 2 hours, so assuming you keep your stealth low and regain 3+1 as a faery/rogue and 3+2 for halfer/rogue, that's 48 ops for faery vs 60 for halfer. Thats 25% more which eats away and closes the gap to faeries +40% damage. Add the advantage of halfers being alot less likely to fail due to the massive boost to TPA and will be able to damage targets that might be out of reach for a Faery. If your main goal is to be a thief then Halfer is the #1 choice always. And if you are resetting this late in the age you will need that 50% extra TPA or you wont be able to do any damage to anyone, your science will be too far behind.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by kwijybow View Post
    Ok, so what I am reading is basically that Fearys suite T/M rolls better and Halflings suite A/T rolls better. So if I want to keep using magic, go feary? As it stands now, I'm not much into attacking. I will occasionally pillage a province that has suicided and left themselves overly defenseless but generally I just Storms/MS/Fireball/Tornado and NS/Riots/Rob Vaults.
    it is a bit more nuanced than that. in a lot of ways faery/rogue is a better a/t than halfling/rogue, doing what you said - picking off massively underdefended provinces while remaining relatively safe. halfling/rogue can do the same thing a little easier, but gets less out of their captured acres (however, it is very likely that a halfling likes taking in acres during war, as the only other way to make space for thief training is to release troops against dragon - not always something you'd want to do).

basically though, pick faery unless you have a really good reason to pick halfling. if what you're doing is working, then faery is the better choice.

in a dream setup i'd prefer to combine halfer and fae rogues, rather than pick one or the other. both can play off of each other.

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Engman View Post
    . Thats 25% more which eats away and closes the gap to faeries +40% damage. Add the advantage of halfers being alot less likely to fail due to the massive boost to TPA and will be able to damage targets that might be out of reach for a Faery.
    25% more ops means 25% more chances to fail and lose tpa. +40% damage is a better bonus and given the +science mods that rogue has this age the only time u should be failing an op as a feary is when oping another rogue. Recommend in war massacres to deal with enemy rogues 28% tpa kill/hit is op.

Post Demon
    25% more ops means 25% more chances to fail and lose tpa. +40% damage is a better bonus and given the +science mods that rogue has this age the only time u should be failing an op as a feary is when oping another rogue. Recommend in war massacres to deal with enemy rogues 28% tpa kill/hit is op.
    Spoke my mind. I told this to my KD aswell. The bonus is so good that you won't fail ops on others anyways, unless it's a rogue/tact+WTs or a sage A/T.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Persain View Post
    This was my thought process as well. I figure that fewer bigger hits to do the same damage would be better statistically as less chance to lose thieves. Its a tough choice but all things considered, I find myself leaning towards Feary Rogue.

Thread Information