Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
Ell, I think you're backtracking. You can't make a statement like this...

and then hide behind a statement like this...

The "slightest bit of doubt" is where 100% of all scientific research lies. Bashing people for suggesting alternative theories and then hiding behind the lenient definition of a scientific fact which allows the possibility of being wrong is trying to have your cake and eat it too.'
I might have expressed myself badly but what I was trying to get across was that the religious(generally) people who usually makes those ridiculous challenges etc and sprouts those opinion(not saying that chals in particular is one of these) are pretty much always of the sort "we're right until you prove with 100% absolute infallible certainty that you are". That is my issue with those religious nutcases and their challenges, and frankly I despise them for it, they have the same obligation to prove their view as science does, in fact I'd say they have a bigger one because many of their claims goes against all sense and logic.

Instead of making those silly challenges(because the onus of proof is on the one with the least sensible explanation based the least in fact/science etc) they should start producing a fact based empirical theory of their own to substantiate their position, until then I think that religion has absolutely no place in education. And no, merely saying that "Science cannot explain this" is not producing evidence, that's just blowing hot air and whoever does that should be ridiculed. What it would involve is producing evidence for something that could not possibly be accomplished in any manner other than that of a higher deity etc(which is arguably as hard as proving evolution of course, but that's where they need to go).

But considering that the people in the west who is most hell bent on making those claims are the same people claiming that the earth is 4000 years old I guess coherent thought is too much to ask from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
You're either positive that our current theory of evolution is absolutely, objectively correct, or you believe that our current theories are wrong (even if it's just small parts). There is no middle ground. To believe that we have the theory 100% correct would be naive considering we don't have a 100% complete knowledge of the building blocks of Evolution (genetics, biology, ect). That's all I was trying to say and I'm pretty sure that's all chalsdk was trying to say.
I would disagree and say that there is a middle ground, yes to believe that anything in a non formal science is 100% correct is pure folly because our knowledge of everything is incomplete and things might change as we gain more knowledge. However once something has been tested and studied enough it's usually referred to as a fact in science(in physics(which straddles the line between formal and natural sciences) this is usually considered to be when you've passed a 5Sigma error probability) in less formal sciences the process is less clear, usually it's a lot about peer reviewed preponderance studies etc.
But my point is that nobody goes around thinking they're wrong, but they're aware that there's always room for improvement and that that improvement might clash with established science, that's why the Large Hadron Collider was big deal(or as Word auto correction liked to correct it, The Large Hardon Collider :D ).