Thread: Sapphire or Gold

Veteran

Sapphire or Gold

Having a discussion. Scenario:
    2 days into war, you control their attackers. You have 5 or 6 attackers moving out of networth range of their attackers. All of their top provs (net/land) are t/ms. They have a little under 1/3rd of their kingdom as t/ms. You are switching to pump the attackers to move out of networth range even further establishing a bigger net gap and making them t/m breakers.

Would you go Gold dragon or Sapphire dragon?

Some have said Gold to drop their BE and drop runes/BE/TD/WT effectiveness.

Others say Sapphire to help with ops on the provs you are trying to grow.
    Last edited by Osaze; 09-09-2015 at 11:57.

Forum Fanatic
    goldie. sapphire won't defend crap on your bloaters, but goldie will cut into rune supplies and hurt the smaller attackers if it sticks. if i were them, i'd probably tank a sapphire - then again i don't know the exact situation, how your t/m compare to theirs. if you are leading economically, you can send a sapphire over the goldie when you're prepared to op their t/m, but it doesn't sound like that is on the table.

if you want to protect your bigs, they're going to need defense AND tpa to not get shredded, and that may be impossible to prevent. magic and nightmares can get through that even.

Veteran
    Incomplete. Needs t/m on your side, relative oppability of their t/m by your t/m and vice versa. UBs on your side, attacker oppability on both sides (eg attacker sages), and land sizes, which can affect rune costs significantly. With information presented, neither. Ruby. Sapphire would not save those attackers from ops. Best to push advantages and decrease off/def disparity asap while limiting offense of enemy. Gold is alternative that has proxy benefit from hitting forts and tg while limiting other buildings, but only useful in the midst of other benefits (rogue bleed to slow ops on t/m, low sizes high rune costs, limit eco from buildings to slow enemy feeds, etc)
    Last edited by Nightmare_; 09-09-2015 at 13:16.

Strategy Moderator
    Rule of thumb is to run sapphire if your trying to grow your own t/m's. Run gold if your trying to use attackers to self pump.

Early age runes are MUCH harder to come by due to lack a magic science and the rune cost formula.....i'd probubly use gold myself for that reason alone, but....to each their own :D
    Last edited by Persain; 09-09-2015 at 13:02.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    If your TMs are working on their TMs and the Sapphire would really make a big difference, I'd say maybe the Sapphire in that case, but running a sapphire to try and curb their TMs damaging your attackers isn't going to be better than just running gold, which will also put a big hurt on their attackers as well as their TMs

So given only what you've provided, I'd say run gold.

Veteran
    Gold. This early in the age it should pretty much be gold all day unless you have a very strong reason to run something else.

Enthusiast
    My guess is that their TM provs aren't capable of doing much ops because of early age.

That makes sapphire very tankable since it really doesn't effectively change anything.

If you are getting ready to break their UB provinces I would consider ruby or emerald. Ruby to close the gap to break them. Emerald if you are already close enough to break to make the damage higher.

If you are still in the middle of pumping and have a big gap to close, which I would imagine is the situation, then a gold could be good just to help prevent THEM from pumping themselves as well and growing their TMs.
    #jesters
    - === Interested in joining? === -

Post Fiend
    if enemy kd is low tpa overall, sap is very good if ur core can steal.

If enemy kd is full of faes and u had pumped some wiz plus some magic science, sap is very good at burning their resources.

If enemy kd cant op u effectively, dont go sap, if they are low on pez or resources, gold is very good. Plus some noob provinces can be starved easily under gold. And with riots plus greed many can be unpaid.

If u can deep chain or multi tap them then emerald.

Overall, up to what both kd have military,resources wise.

Veteran
    Ruby 4tw

Quote Originally Posted by Osaze View Post
    Having a discussion. Scenario:
    2 days into war, you control their attackers. You have 5 or 6 attackers moving out of networth range of their attackers. All of their top provs (net/land) are t/ms. They have a little under 1/3rd of their kingdom as t/ms. You are switching to pump the attackers to move out of networth range even further establishing a bigger net gap and making them t/m breakers.

Would you go Gold dragon or Sapphire dragon?

Some have said Gold to drop their BE and drop runes/BE/TD/WT effectiveness.

Others say Sapphire to help with ops on the provs you are trying to grow.
    2 days into the war it could go either way. Both will be beneficial to your Kingdom obviously. Just work whichever one you send and prepare for it.

If you throw Sapphire, make sure to hammer them with ops (how many TMs do you have?)
    If you throw Gold, then focus specifically on econ and watch for opportunistic things (creating starving provinces, GA specific buildings like guilds if they have ToGgers - or Towers if you're more worried about magic ops -- WTs if you're working your thieves.

If you do go with Sapphire at this point, then the next one should definitely be Gold IMO -- but I've always been more of a Gold fan myself.

Thread Information