Another Look

Part of the make of The Virtual Kingdom involves compromise, but I tried to work with the idea of effectiveness.

Avian cleric
Avian cleric
Avian warrior

Dwarf heretic
Dwarf sage
Dwarf war hero

Elf heretic
Elf mystic
Elf sage

Faery heretic
Faery mystic
Faery rogue
Faery sage

Halfling mystic
Halfling rogue
Halfling rogue

Human sage
Human tactician
Human tactician

Orc cleric
Orc tactician
Orc warrior

Undead war hero
Undead war hero
Undead warrior

The way I want t/ms to operate has to do with caliber of opposition.

The elves were dispersed in order to grant high penetration with the variety of spells available: heretic - blizzard, nightmare; mystic - chastity, meteor swarm; sage - amnesia. Elves self spells are also valuable in consideration to their intended targets.

Faery was set up in a full t/m quadrilateral to provide the higher damage on lower defenses( or defenses lowered ) by the elves and halfling rogues. Faery has superior defense and thus can be expected to take up where the others left off.
So the spell array is equal to the elves plus rogue.

Two halflings were set to provide the high penetration at rogue: assassinate wizards, propaganda, greater arson. One was set as a third mystic. I had toyed with the idea of using heretic on the third halfling but wanted to give the province it's best chance at landing spells along with space efficiency and considerable theft capability.

Dwarves make up the last line of t/m capable races based in their decent defensive spells, well balanced elite, free build and building efficiency bonus. Because dwarves can switch builds rather easily they are incredibly versatile if not completely durable. Again, this is projected to take shape later in war.

We can guess the enemy will look to knock out the halfling rogues, elves and high offense attackers. This is why the default strategy is to run interference. It's not necessarily the survival of these provinces that we are concentrating on, but the target rich environment provided by the enemy effort. This is where the avian warrior and human tacticians start making sense. So the off color builds like the dwarves, humans, faery etc and personalities like sage and war hero provide economic strength if the high performance provinces are tackled. The turn of war has to be considered to offer a mechanical explanation for adaptation.