Thread: Star Wars: The Last Jedi *Spoilers*

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    I'm sorry but...wut? Lol

Original trilogy did plenty of that. They threw in the token black guy. They pushed their strong female lead. They had random characters throughout to help reach a wider audience. They threw in ewalks for the kids.

People hold the original trilogy to way too high of a standard. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but they deserve just as much criticism as the other movies.
    Hmmmm false, main characters fit into the story. They didn't randomly throw characters in that make little to no sense to the story. Also big difference was Disney bought a already wrote Star Wars universe that after the movies had a complete book series telling the official Star Wars story. They not only threw away this entire universe but have turned it into ****. Lando wasn't just a token black guy in the original and played a big role in the book series. Lea a general is just laughable, ray a random girl is powerful in the force? Force was a genetic thing that was passed from generation to generation. Why everyone thought her parents must have been someone. Also they made Luke Skywalker look like a b*tch, in what world would Star Wars fans accept that. Overall it was a bad movie acting wise, script wise, but worse yet it defied every thing that makes star wars unique. Kinda like if someone bought Star Trek and made the federation blood hungry warriors and Klingons peace loving flower picking good guys. It just doesn't fit, rant over.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearted View Post
    Hmmmm false, main characters fit into the story. They didn't randomly throw characters in that make little to no sense to the story. Also big difference was Disney bought a already wrote Star Wars universe that after the movies had a complete book series telling the official Star Wars story. They not only threw away this entire universe but have turned it into ****. Lando wasn't just a token black guy in the original and played a big role in the book series. Lea a general is just laughable, ray a random girl is powerful in the force? Force was a genetic thing that was passed from generation to generation. Why everyone thought her parents must have been someone. Also they made Luke Skywalker look like a b*tch, in what world would Star Wars fans accept that. Overall it was a bad movie acting wise, script wise, but worse yet it defied every thing that makes star wars unique. Kinda like if someone bought Star Trek and made the federation blood hungry warriors and Klingons peace loving flower picking good guys. It just doesn't fit, rant over.
    Lando was the only black character in 3 movies (I mean...i guess technically Vader lol). I get that Lando wasn't actually the only black person in the Star Wars universe.

I'm not sure how you can watch the Original Trilogy and call Princess Leia being a general a joke. She had ice in her viens for 3 movies and afaik, was the acting commander at Hoth and I'm fairly certain (although I could be wrong) the only general shown in the Originals was a fairly serene looking woman.

I'm also not sure how you can watch the Originals and not come to the conclusion that Luke was some sort of a badass. He whined his way through the first two movies and in the last one he didn't actually beat anyone of importance. People act like Luke Skywalker would never give up but he spent pretty much his entire time training with Yoda telling him that he was asking him to do impossible things. Remember when he completely gave up on pulling his X-wing out of the swamp and Yoda had to do it for him? I mean seriously, of all the criticisms of TLK, this is by far the weakest. People thought of Luke as this all-mighty Jedi master who could never fail and I think this is very important to point out, but his entire story in the movie is based around the fact that galaxy believed him to be an all-mighty Jedi master and he knew that he wasn't that person. That's brilliant writing imo.

The force isn't strictly genetic. Anakin Skywalker was exactly what Rey was. A nobody from a backwater desert planet. More importantly, Jedi were forbidden from having families, so if the force was some sort of genetic inheritance, they would have quickly died off.

Random added characters that add little to nothing to the story:
    Admeral Ackbar
    Ewalks
    Rancor
    The Emperors Red Body Guards
    The jawas
    The mean guys at the Cantina

There's a great big universe of Star Wars characters and most of them are pretty unimportant, just like this universe. I could go even deeper and question the overall relevance of characters like Boba Fett and Jaba the Hut, because the story really seems like it could work just fine without them added as well.
    Last edited by Palem; 22-12-2017 at 23:52.

Thread Information