Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After the game is running smoothly...

After the game is running smoothly...

Let's assume the game gets back up within a reasonable time frame, and that it stays up reliably. What then? The game was already dying under Mehul, who had considerably more goodwill and competence than OMAC. What would it take to turn the game around?
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Regular
    That's assuming a LOT.

Veteran
    advertisment, way less cheating, guidness for new players.

News Correspondent Mad_Scottish's Avatar
    I think mostly advertising. There is still a huge online community that follows the text based games. I think a more comprehensive guide to try and get new players "plugged" into the game quickly.

I think a lot of the game when you initially join is very over whelming. I think having some booster packs when they first join. Be it channels on irc, how to download the irc, set it up etc. All these guides are available from within the game anyway.

Game context. All the small kingdoms need to be merged. Having kingdoms with 11 people is just stupid. They need to merge them, and allow them a half chance of actually being able to try and play the game, get some wars, without just being fed on 24/7.

There are so many little things that could be made.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracoa View Post
    That's assuming a LOT.
    haha, good reply :P

Who cares? I don't mind playing with only 1000 players, as long as I can still play. The more competitive, the better.
    "Go back to the gym because you f'king suck at utopia, noob." -Godly

My classic black theme for Utopia - Updated 5/13/15

Quote Originally Posted by darkl1ght View Post
    Unfortunately, no amount of razes will improve your war record
    Greatest strategy thread/question of all-time.

Less legalization of cheating. Reversing the cheating that's already been legalized. Advertisement. Making it a facebook application. Hiring someone competent to maintain it. Less broken promises. No OMAC.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Mad Scottish, they've been working on a new guide for over a year now. What's gone wrong here, and what should be done to remedy it? As for merging, where are new players to go if kingdoms are filled up? I'm not sure the game would be able to manage a growth phase very well. However, a growth phase is probably not right around the corner.

Dracoa, I don't really think downtime is the main problem. If players had reason to hope for a better future for the game, they'd be more willing to put up with temporary setbacks. I'm seeing pessimism all over the place.

That said, I agree the whole recoding process has been a huge disappointment. They gave us a solemn promise to not put the game up until it had been thoroughly tested, instead they go and impose extra downtime AND rush launching the new code.
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Postaholic
    proper advertisment

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Catwalk View Post
    Dracoa, I don't really think downtime is the main problem. If players had reason to hope for a better future for the game, they'd be more willing to put up with temporary setbacks. I'm seeing pessimism all over the place.
    Downtime is caused by coding problems. Coding problems have given people reason to be pessimistic. Downtime is a symptom of, a part of, the problem. No, it's not the whole problem, but it's there as a problem.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Once the game is up and running smoothly, it needs to be sold to someone that can maintain it.

Regular
    Palem, it needs to be sold to someone who can actually run it. Forget letting BS try to fix their horrendous code, we'll be waiting here until the next century for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Catwalk View Post
    That said, I agree the whole recoding process has been a huge disappointment. They gave us a solemn promise to not put the game up until it had been thoroughly tested, instead they go and impose extra downtime AND rush launching the new code.
    Because i did Q&A for so many years, and have seen the result of substandard testing in the real world, i was one of the first ones to ask them if it would be tested sufficiently BEFORE putting it out to the public on WoL, and as CW said, they gave us their solemn promise that it most certainly would be.

yet another promise broken.

in answer to the initial question though, advertising would be one of the main things i would think. but they have to have a better product than they've put out now. even if they get the functionality of it stabilized, the user interface is sloppy and ugly and they need help from a DESIGNER to fix it.

And at this point, they've spent the past 1.5 yrs destroying this game. it's going to take at least that long to gain the confidence of the community back because we've been disheartened and disillusioned every step of the way. and it's going to take a LOT to gain our trust back.

Trust, once it's lost, is one of the most difficult things ever to regain
    Last edited by Luth; 05-11-2009 at 22:37.
    ~ Lúthien ~
    “There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ~Albert Schweitzer
    Words make us think thoughts... Music makes us feel feelings... Songs make us feel thoughts" ~"Yip" Harburg
    Goodnight Utopia

Regular
    They tried fixing what wasn't broke.

While we are at it why not assume there will be world peace tomorrow and I'll deficate gold nuggets.... I think both have about the same probability of happening.

Thread Information