Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At War with a Kingdom far Larger

Octolite

Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    If you beat a strategy mod do you get to take their place?
    That would be more punishment than reward.

We's so ghetto we think Strategy is a board game first invented in 1910
    Last edited by Skank; 08-06-2017 at 17:35. Reason: Stratego made in Europe, World War I as L'attaque. Stratego: Dutchman Jacques Johan 1942
    I may be paranoid but that does not mean they aren't out to get me It needs more cowbell.

I like to post
    Quote Originally Posted by Persain View Post
    barts being a !@#$ becuase the hes asking the strategy forum mod how his friend should beat the strategy forum mod in war....i.e. me.

For what its worth.....if u get into a war with a kd that is 20-30% bigger than you, the best suggestion is surrender min time. The only times you'd have a chance at winning or so war/setup specific you'll need more kd coordination and activity than the strategy forum is capable of giving.
    So basically as a strategy mod you're advising a KD to surrender against your own KD min-time? So if in any future ages you get into a war with a KD 20-30% larger you'll surrender min-time as that is the way to go?

@aquaseafoam, perhaps you can comment on this. Do you agree/disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by Bart of Sparta View Post
    So basically as a strategy mod you're advising a KD to surrender against your own KD min-time? So if in any future ages you get into a war with a KD 20-30% larger you'll surrender min-time as that is the way to go?

Asf would have his friends db and gb the larger kd, then likely demand a tax from them

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart of Sparta View Post
    So basically as a strategy mod you're advising a KD to surrender against your own KD min-time? So if in any future ages you get into a war with a KD 20-30% larger you'll surrender
    min-time as that is the way to go?

i have, we got nw droped on by warseekers, they dumped enough nw to be 133% our size then declared on us...we surrendered min time.

edit...better?
    Last edited by Persain; 09-06-2017 at 19:01. Reason: edited to be easier to read

I like to post
    Quote Originally Posted by Persain View Post
    i have, we got nw droped to declare on by warseekers....surrendered min time.
    So you NW-dropped to be able to declare?

Postaholic
    I thought he meant wsk dropped to declare on him, but it's a train wreck of a comment has anyone ever been so far as to do look more like?

I like to post
    Persain still hasn't answered my question. Did he NW drop to declare on Spartans?

Wsk nw dropped to declare on Divinity and Divinity ended up surrendering. Persain referensed this to back up his statement that surrendering is the best option in a similar situation (according to him).

Spartans declared war on Divinity shortly after they hit fort so makes no sense to assume Divinity nw dropped
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Strategy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shai View Post
    Wsk nw dropped to declare on Divinity and Divinity ended up surrendering. Persain referensed this to back up his statement that surrendering is the best option in a similar situation (according to him).

Spartans declared war on Divinity shortly after they hit fort so makes no sense to assume Divinity nw dropped
    this....we explored which cost us pump and droped us into declare range, no nw droping on our part v spartans. In the past Warseekers dumped nw so they could declare on us. And i repeat if you find yourself against a kd that has a 120-130% land or nw advantage 99.9% of the time u've lost and should surrender. Its nearly impossible to come back from that when 2 kds are evenly matched with activity or skil. A kd like FS may win from a huge disadvantage but i'd argue that are vastly better than the kds they beat like that so its not comparing apples to apples. And if someone is asking "how to win" in that situation saying "be more active, and smarter than your enemy" is hardly advice to give on the forums.
    Last edited by Persain; 10-06-2017 at 13:28.

Veteran
    This is cute and all, but the title "Strategy Moderator" does not make the player into a panel member or judge, or some kind of treatise-writing authority on Utopia strategy. The moderator's role is to facilitate discussion and ensure proper functioning of the particular strategy board. So this little troll effort rests on a false premise (that the moderators are some special authority and therefore that weighing in on a particular situation creates a conflict of interest), and in any case it has collapsed on its own since there is no fault with Persain's advice, which is that usually getting yourself in a war with a much larger kingdom is unwinnable. The best advice in such a situation is don't declare on the much larger kingdom. But should you feel compelled to do so, for glory or fun, normally it's a loss.

Did he NW drop to declare on Spartans?
    That would be quite the trick, since Divinity never had the button and Sparta declared.

Enthusiast
    Your going to get stomped on anyway.... so in war vs someone larger than you (being your auto forced into war, or getting fed up with attacks from them) you goals is different, your fighting not to win, but fighting to make it a painful war for them like ruin their builds so they will lose their next war, and make it a long long war that they really hate even if they are winning the war.

You can take the easy way out and withdraw on min time (which is what the opposing kingdom wants), or make it a hell to war with even though your getting stomped on (which the opposing kingdom does not want).

This is a choice for the monarch.
    A outerworld vagabond Elf traveling this world.
    From the world of Thardferr, herald of the Eldar Elven Kingdoms
    Elven Roles sense Age 63: Sage, Mystic, Rogue, Tactician, Cleric, Merchant, Heretic, War Hero, Warrior, Paladin, Undead, Artisan, Raider

Veteran
    Of course you can do these things, which a smaller kingdom well knows when it declares on a kingdom that is so large it is just *barely* in range. And to remove any doubt, that smaller declaring kingdom in this instance openly announced that it was hoping only to disrupt the larger kingdom.

The larger kingdom wanted to war. The larger kingdom was willing to CF early, but the smaller kingdom refused to make terms. The smaller kingdom was not in a position to war, so dragged out a long hostile with ops and did significant damage to the larger kingdom to keep the larger kingdom from engaging elsewhere. The smaller kingdom then declared on the larger kingdom after the larger kingdom shifted into Fortified stance and kept dealing the damage, neither side sending out lest the turtle open its shell. The smaller kingdom eventually chained some of the low hanging fruit in the larger kingdom, then withdrew with the land it could take once its advantages started to dissipate.

It's almost as if the smaller kingdom knew *exactly* what to do in this kind of situation. If only the monarch of that smaller kingdom could get in touch with Bart of Sparta and answer his question.

Enthusiast
    Andurilas explained it better than me haha

The larger kingdom can WD on the war if you held the larger kingdom to too long of a period and unwilling to withdraw.
    Note this is at least a week long war if not longer, so you need to tell your province that upfront that you want to teach the lesson to the larger kingdom from pushing you around, if you dont tell your kingdom upfront be prepared for people quitting your kingdom.

Though on the flip side, I have been in a kingdom which we were borderline almost war-able which we ended up exploring then hitting the button. The opposing kingdom were not war ready, but betting that their size will deter people and they were hitting kingdoms who could not declare war due to size difference, which lead to us winning the war. Again a long war though.....
    A outerworld vagabond Elf traveling this world.
    From the world of Thardferr, herald of the Eldar Elven Kingdoms
    Elven Roles sense Age 63: Sage, Mystic, Rogue, Tactician, Cleric, Merchant, Heretic, War Hero, Warrior, Paladin, Undead, Artisan, Raider

Thread Information