1. Stop thinking of it as a business model. The American medical system is all messed up, I agree, but this wasn't designed to "fix" the inflated costs of medical care. It was designed to make expensive medical care available for people who were previously unavailable to get insurance to help pay for such things. There aren't going to be any quick fixes to our medical costs situation and in the mean time it's retarded to let hundred of thousands of people suffer without proper medical care because our bureaucrats are 9 year olds that will blindly disagree with the other side because they belong to the other party.
2. Insurance companies are more likely to get the laws changed to lower medical costs faster than a bunch of broke and powerless "voters" will.
3. If you aren't rich (which the majority isn't), you don't have any insurance, and you happen to get sick, your life is ruined. That's the reality of the American health care system today. My dad just had a liver transplant that saved his life. The whole ordeal cost him about $300k+. If he didn't have insurance, both him and my mother would have lost everything they had just because we would rather have my dad not be dead. My point being, forcing people into purchasing something that that will avoid the terrible logic that you don't need insurance can hardly be considered bad policy. Most states require you purchase car insurance, I don't see anyone crying about that.