Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rule Clarification

Director of Age Changes
    Lmao, don Pro as a mod... even more wolves in sheep's clothing.

Why would someone want to dress up as a sheep?
    All sheep do is go beee and wait for food.

Wolves hunt until they get what they want and nothing gets in their way.
    Age 65 - FreeakStyle - FeyrPlay Alliance Win - Dwarves Stole My Bike
    Age 66 - FreeakStyle - #1 Honor & Warring Kingdom - Making FS Great Again
    Age 67 - BeastBlood - #1 Honor Human(Prince) - Steve from Walmart
    Age 68 - BeastBlood ft OldSchool - #1 Honor Kingdom & Avian - We Are All Feyr
    Age 69 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Kingdom in The History of Utopia - Clever Use of Words
    Age 70 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Land(25325 acres) & NW Faery - Spartan of Redeeming Qualities

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsMatija View Post
    Why would someone want to dress up as a sheep?
    All sheep do is go beee and wait for food.

Wolves hunt until they get what they want and nothing gets in their way.
    I mean not really. Wolves eat a lot of small animals and scavenge. When there's a pack of deer they tend to taking out the weakest and slowest.

Enthusiast
    Sort of like the top of Utopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Bananamancer2000 View Post
    I mean not really. Wolves eat a lot of small animals and scavenge. When there's a pack of deer they tend to taking out the weakest and slowest.
    So you take out the weakest and slowest?
    “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
    - unknown

My invite must be in mail.

All hail the return of ABs!

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    People complain that mods that don't play are out of touch. People complain about mods playing because they're "capable" of abusing their power for in-game benefits (still haven't heard how).

TLDR: People will always complain, regardless.

Do you guys have any complaints about Proteus and/or Allanon moderating the forums that don't rely on conspiracy theories and "what if"s? Those would be the kinds of things you'd need to bring forward to make a change in mods

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Wolfie View Post
    So if we all move to 1:1, we'll all be able to moderate all threads and posts in our moderating area without any accusations of prejudice? Unfortunately, I don't think that'll be accepted so why limit our game when there are no benefits for anyone?
    The prejudice will remain forever so I really can't do much to help in that respect. It's the will and way of the people. I'm specifically targeting possible in-game benefits. Maybe with some questions I can develop examples!
    - Do the mods have access to the support email or are forum related concerns forwarded to them by the devs?
    - Are the mods able to identify people viewing threads when they are not logged in?
    - Do the mods have access to user IP addresses or would they be able to associate peoples' alternate accounts with their mains?
    - Could being a mod on the forum change how these players are interacted with in-game? Could fear of retaliation, however unfounded it may be, cause them to receive preferential treatment?
    - Could being in closer proximity to the devs cause them to gain any sort of privileged information? Are discussions about in-game violations or age changes conducted an entirely separate place?

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Do you guys have any complaints about Proteus and/or Allanon moderating the forums that don't rely on conspiracy theories and "what if"s? Those would be the kinds of things you'd need to bring forward to make a change in mods
    Nope, none that I can think of. The top is a series of twisted conspiracy theories though (some true, some still waiting to be confessed to) so it wouldn't hurt to be cautious.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    The prejudice will remain forever so I really can't do much to help in that respect. It's the will and way of the people. I'm specifically targeting possible in-game benefits. Maybe with some questions I can develop examples!
    - Do the mods have access to the support email or are forum related concerns forwarded to them by the devs?
    No. All forum reports are emailed to the appropriate moderators, but the US e-mail is not visible to moderators. Strategy mods don't have the ability to infract, I can't recall if I left it on the UT mods or not.
    - Are the mods able to identify people viewing threads when they are not logged in?
    No.
    - Do the mods have access to user IP addresses or would they be able to associate peoples' alternate accounts with their mains?
    No. There are a number of reasons why we wouldn't want to allow this.
    - Could being a mod on the forum change how these players are interacted with in-game? Could fear of retaliation, however unfounded it may be, cause them to receive preferential treatment?
    Being a mod could also result in negative in-game consequences due to perceived forum discrimination.
    - Could being in closer proximity to the devs cause them to gain any sort of privileged information? Are discussions about in-game violations or age changes conducted an entirely separate place?
    Discussions occur in a private channel that the mods don't have access to. If mods attempt to use the access as a backchannel, I will remove them same as how I removed folks from the test group for attempting to use it as a private backchannel.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffT View Post
    No. All forum reports are emailed to the appropriate moderators, but the US e-mail is not visible to moderators. Strategy mods don't have the ability to infract, I can't recall if I left it on the UT mods or not.

No.

No. There are a number of reasons why we wouldn't want to allow this.

Being a mod could also result in negative in-game consequences due to perceived forum discrimination.

Discussions occur in a private channel that the mods don't have access to. If mods attempt to use the access as a backchannel, I will remove them same as how I removed folks from the test group for attempting to use it as a private backchannel.
    Thanks, really nothing for anyone to be too worried about then.

It does seem pretty locked up! I'll keep thinking though...
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by realm of ding dong View Post
    It's my responsibility to enforce forum bans? Is the absurdity of that not self-evident to you? You seem a little confused, no offense btw. Obviously I'm not going to post hardcore sex videos "on behalf of" someone else and then try to pretend I'm not responsible. I'm not a psycho.

But seriously? Am I even allowed to mention a banned person? Reference anything the banned person has ever said or did in the past? Relay some opinion that this banned person has expressed to me in private? What is the implication here? That if I speak on behalf of a banned person then that means he has stuck a gun to my head and forced me to post his comment on the forum? That I'm some kind of weird forum slave that's around all the time to post this person's comments? Or that I, as an unbanned person who shouldn't have to suffer the consequences of SOMEONE ELSE'S ACTIONS, have elected to relay the thoughts and words of a banned person. Or maybe I made it up! Maybe I'm not actually speaking on behalf of that banned person. Who would know? It's ridiculous. Don't tell me this is "standard practice" on any forum.
    This. I have never heard any thing so ridiculous in all my internet life.
    Seriously grow up you mods and developers. I get that you hate Bart. I have never had interactions with him so I really don't know if he is any worse than Abs or any of the other cheating, farming kingdoms that there have been so, so many of over the years. But building rules pretty much specifically around one person you hate is just the most pathetic, childish, non productive thing you could possibly do. It reflects extremely badly on your group interpersonal skills and rational thinking that you have chosen to go this route. You need to face up to the fact that you cannot stop anyone playing this game who wants to, because they don't need an actual province to run a kingdom strategy or war. And you guys should know that better than most. So the next poster says 'Someone wants to say well done XX:XX', are you going to ban them too, because it MIGHT be a message from someone you hate? So probably anyone who knows Bart would know by now that he's banned. How on earth could any poster know about anyone else who is banned? You want to make the forum even more of an incestuous in group than it is already - that only people who know everyone and the politics of everything in the last 5 years of utopia can post?? Have you never heard of the saying 'Hard cases make bad law'? I suggest you look it up and ponder.

You guys should take a step back from your emotional Bart angst fest and see how this looks to outsiders. It's not pretty and it's not professional. It's not even clever or useful.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    It has nothing to do with personal feelings. I actually liked Bart for the most part but his permaban was totally justified. He was given countless warnings over multuple ages to stop attacking the devs and attempting to undermine them and he simply refused.

Evading bans has always been against the rules. People that made alt accounts to avoid their bans got the new account banned and their ban was extended.

Communicating in the forums via an actual account vs an alt that they set up is no different and isn't acceptable. That goes for Bart, or Scott, or any other permabanned or temporary banned user

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    It does seem pretty locked up! I'll keep thinking though...
    That's what they want you to think. With all these evil new mods in a few ages the game will be called Absalom.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    It has nothing to do with personal feelings. I actually liked Bart for the most part but his permaban was totally justified. He was given countless warnings over multuple ages to stop attacking the devs and attempting to undermine them and he simply refused.

Evading bans has always been against the rules. People that made alt accounts to avoid their bans got the new account banned and their ban was extended.

Communicating in the forums via an actual account vs an alt that they set up is no different and isn't acceptable. That goes for Bart, or Scott, or any other permabanned or temporary banned user
    I have no idea whether his ban was justified or not Palem and I don't really care tbh. Alts are clearly going to be banned if they are found, that is normal and makes sense.

I do think his ban has to do with some people's feelings though - there's too much ridiculousness being involved considering the guy hasn't committed murder or posted sex link viruses. He's banned, fine. But you can't wish him into nonexistence and he's clearly still playing the game, like it or not.

See you are already talking about Scott - well I have no idea who Scott is. But maybe I know him, it's not an uncommon name, but I have no idea he's banned, and he says oh wow you still post on that old crappy forum say hi to folks for me next time you're posting. Then someone goes SCOTT WAS MENTIONED - BANHAMMER!!! Maybe someone I talk to, say Freddie was temp banned, how on earth would I know? And over sap he says oh yeah just ask about how XX:XX;s war went, I'm not on my pc. I post and maybe I mention Freddie's name in my post,BANHAMMER!!

You still haven't addressed my other point, which is if a user posts 'Someone wants to say good job XX:XX' are you going to ban them because they MIGHT be referring to Bart? Or Scott? Or any other banned user, permabanned or temporary?

It is absolutely ridiculous, just the height and depth of ridiculousness and you would be far better off not trying to defend the indefensible and trying to drape a fig leaf of sense over it because that just tars you with the same 'has no sense and tunnel vision' brush. It would be frankly slightly less silly to say anyone mentioning Bart's name will be banned, or provide a list of names the mention of which will get anyone banned! (Yes, it would be pretty ridiculous, and the current situation is even sillier which sums it up quite well)

HARD CASES MAKE BAD LAW. It's as simple as that!

Thread Information