Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: State of Utopia

Enthusiast Zombies are people too's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Verminator View Post
    .....I'm a firm believer that one of the main reasons this game struggles with growing its player base is not because it's a text game in a graphics world, not because some think it's poorly run or mechanically unsound (no longer the truth either), but because your average online gamer interested in a game like this comes into the community and, after sampling the garbage that is spewed and scattered across the main Utopia Talk forum, likely simply thinks "Wow, this place is filled with complete assholes" and promptly moves on.
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Moar Verminator!!!

-DM <3
    Co-host of the daily talk thread "Meme-Dumpster-Fire"
    The House of Eargasms has moved to Discord! Come Join the MUTINY!!!

#MUTINY-FM
    https://discord.gg/Y76paHZ

H.O.E
    http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...se-of-Eargasms

Veteran
    Bang. Hard agreed.
    Josh; leader of a lovable band of misfits, Pinoys, and probable virgins.

My Raging Clue

*If a Utopian falls in the woods, and no-one is around to see him...was he still bottom-feeding?

Postaholic
    This entire forum is archaic and unproductive for the game, just shut it down and move to the subreddit. This will allow the discussion this game creates to be used as a recruiting tool, give mods/Devs more power to customize the presentation of the game, give the game some semblance of modernity, cost nothing to host and perhaps most importantly, anger the old guard so much that they quit the game entirely instead of squeezing the life out of the game like they are now.

Some of us are already banned from reddit.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    This entire forum is archaic and unproductive for the game, just shut it down and move to the subreddit. This will allow the discussion this game creates to be used as a recruiting tool, give mods/Devs more power to customize the presentation of the game, give the game some semblance of modernity, cost nothing to host and perhaps most importantly, anger the old guard so much that they quit the game entirely instead of squeezing the life out of the game like they are now.
    Isn't the old guard the only reason this game still exists? I would assume most people play still due to fond memories of mehul era utopia.

We could all head back over to utopia temple..

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    lol

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    As the current mod at the utopia subreddit, I can confirm you are not banned. Unless you somehow got banned from all of reddit, which is something that is probably impossible for a normal human.

From their irc server. Their mods are entirely senseless. I'll take Palem any day <33
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Postaholic
    I didn't even know there was a general reddit IRC. I just meant www.reddit.com/r/utopiagame

Oh I didn't realize they had a forum too. Maybe that's the appropriate place to retaliate.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
    Isn't the old guard the only reason this game still exists? I would assume most people play still due to fond memories of mehul era utopia.

We could all head back over to utopia temple..
    And this mentality is what needs to (and hopefully is going to) change. No more keeping Utopia on life support with the same old players who have kept it in the mud all this time. Thanks to renewed support and development, this game is at a legitimate crossroads. It can either keep wandering around the swamp that it's been in for years and continue its decline, or it can leave the cancerous past (and all the cancerous cells with it) behind and try to make something better of itself for the future player base that it can finally potentially attract.

I'm really disappointed. I've supported Jeff and David in all decisions, I can't in this one. Cracking down on personal insults is great, but memes come on. The rest of you are misplacing your anger on the mods, and using "whataboutism" yall are better than that.

Those that think the community is the problem don't really understand how game growth works. The biggest games have the most toxic communities, look at your MOBAs and shooters. I'm not saying you shouldn't strive to have better communities but thinking it's the cause of the decline since mehul is delusional. Over correction will push away your die hards which will kill competition further and subsequently the game.
    "The Utopian voice of reason" ~Ben (And he's an official moderator)

Enthusiast
    And this mentality is what needs to (and hopefully is going to) change. No more keeping Utopia on life support with the same old players who have kept it in the mud all this time. Thanks to renewed support and development, this game is at a legitimate crossroads. It can either keep wandering around the swamp that it's been in for years and continue its decline, or it can leave the cancerous past (and all the cancerous cells with it) behind and try to make something better of itself for the future player base that it can finally potentially attract.
    What players is it going to attract?

Serious question. Don't you think they have tried to attract new players before? I can guarantee it's not the forum holding the game back.

Enthusiast Zombies are people too's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
    I can guarantee it's not the forum holding the game back.
    I'm sure it's a multiple front approach. The balancing in recent ages, moving forward with mechanic changes, a new player's guide, and cleaning the toxicity to make the forums more attractive are all moving parts in a grander design than any individual step alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Band of Horses View Post
    I'm not saying you shouldn't strive to have better communities but thinking it's the cause of the decline since mehul is delusional. Over correction will push away your die hards which will kill competition further and subsequently the game.
    It'd be completely hyperbolic to say this is the sole reason, but it couldn't hurt to quit the insults and less positive posts. New owners, new direction. Come along for the ride!:D

-DM <3
    Last edited by Zombies are people too; 26-11-2017 at 02:27.
    Co-host of the daily talk thread "Meme-Dumpster-Fire"
    The House of Eargasms has moved to Discord! Come Join the MUTINY!!!

#MUTINY-FM
    https://discord.gg/Y76paHZ

H.O.E
    http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...se-of-Eargasms

I think we just generally don't like seeing strategy stripped out of the game as a means of pandering to people that log in every other day. There are already plenty of FarmVille type games where people click around and spend time with their friends. Diverse strategies and mathematical rigor are what make uto special.

Thread Information